iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

After cutting and before drying

Started by Lucman, July 02, 2012, 10:51:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucman

How does every one treat the boards after milling them, do you sweep them, before stacking them?
Wood-Mizer LT-40
Mesick, Michigan

OneWithWood

Yes.  I use an old blade in a wooden holder as a scraper and scrape the sawdust off before I sticker the board.  Gives me a good second look at the board as all boards are not worthy of kiln time.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Cypressstump

Good question ! I too have thought to ask the same question, but once stopped to think about it, soon forgot ! >:(

I cut a bit of sinker cypress, each board gets washed off with light pressure washing before stickering and stacking. I do this because a lot of the wood is used without planing later on and the water wash cleans off the mill dust very well.Plus the water on a wetted sinker board bring out colors you would not imagine.... addictive.

I have done the same with water oak and recently some pine. Neither has tended to bow badly nor mildew/stain, due to the water .,,,, yet

My friend that has a MW40 brushes his non-cypress lumber prior to stacking.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

WDH

Yes, with an old fashion push broom.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

i dont sweep or scrape just tap the board on the edge and sticker it. having good air flow on your stickerd pile you'll see the saw dust blow out of the rows after a few days.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Steve, I need to get me some air like that  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

danny,
that air is double top secret. :D ok you twisted my arm, its only available at my location ;D i'll "air mail" you some 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

Steve,

I only have air flow.

I need air flow, air flow, air flow  ;D. 

As always, your advice is spot on.

jdonovan

sweep the boards of dust.

For some of my lumber to be used for outbuildings my plan is to treat them with borates to keep the bugs away.

WDH

Sawdust on the boards slows down the drying.

gizmodust

I use a stiff push broom and then layer and spray 10-12% bleach water on it.  Was once told that the bleach water would help keep any mold at bay.  Just my $.02
Always liked wood with alot of character

beenthere

Bleach will kill what is already there, but may not have any lasting preventative help. Borates would be a better choice. Another 2 cents. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

WDH

Depends on how much lube that you are running.  Lots of lube means lots of liquid that makes the sawdust stick to the board.

Al_Smith

Oh pshaw .I have a Stihl blower with a 200 MPH discharge of air .I could blow the bark right off the log if it's sat long enough. :D

WDH

That would mess your hair, for sure  ;D.

crtreedude

We stand up our wood after cutting to drain for a week or so. Often we put a plastic "roof" over it with the sides open, during the dry season a few weeks of that and the wood is remarkably dry but the first couple of weeks we leave it exposed, and the rains do a good job of cleaning the boards. We only shoot for between 10 to 12 percent for the local market, no point going any lower.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!