iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bark peeling

Started by aquacanis, July 02, 2012, 08:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquacanis

What time of year is it best to fell timber if you want to peel the bark?  So the
bark peels easiest.

tyb525

In the early spring when the sap is "up"
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

chevytaHOE5674

Spring and early summer are the best times.

Ken

Here in central NB the bark will peel easy for another 3-4 weeks then not again until next June.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

WDH

After the bids break and the new leaves start to come out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Shotgun

Quote from: WDH on July 02, 2012, 09:25:25 PM
After the bids break and the new leaves start to come out.

"Bids"  Is this a technical forestry term?  Maybe it should appear in the FF dictionary.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

You're in NY,kinda the same region as me. I was peeling hemlock 2 weeks ago.It's just about to stop peeling real easy. Any day now.What kind are you peeling?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Peeling the bark sort of depends on the species of tree!

Some species will peel earlier than others!

Here, Hemlock is still peeling pretty easy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lumberjack48

About April, 15 th  to  July, 15 th we used to peel a 1000 cds every year.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!