iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rockwell Planer Info

Started by VT_Forestry, July 02, 2012, 08:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Hey all,

Looking for some info on a Rockwell planer that I was just told I can have (for free!).  It's been awhile since I've looked at it (it's in a barn in PA), but if memory serves me right it's a Rockwell 22-201.  It belonged to my fiance's grandfather, and has probably had less than 100 linear feet of lumber run through it in it's life.  My biggest question is weight...how much does this dang thing weigh?  I'm trying to put together a plan to either get this thing in the back of my truck or see if I have to borrow a trailer to get it home.  Lifting options are limited up there to a hefty chain hoist that I could back underneath of(not sure if there is anyone around with equipment that could lift it), so it might come down to me breaking this thing apart into manageable pieces and putting it back together when I get home.  From looking around online, this is a pretty nice planer and definitely worth a little sweat to get it home  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Clam77

That sounds like a great deal- even if it has a few issues!! 

I found one equipment site that says it's right at 2350 lbs with dimensions of 40" L x 36" W x 50" H. 

Dunno if it's the one you have eyeballed but you might want to take a look and match it.....

http://www.exfactory.com/Detail.aspx?recnum=PL-011343&refcatid=PL

If it IS yours.. here's an original 1970's downloadable manual for it - complete parts list and all (no specs other than electrical oddly).....

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=559

The manual claims it to be an 18"x6" model that needs 230v 3-phase power.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

VT_Forestry

Holy smokes 2350lbs is pretty hefty!  I'd found another website that said somewhere around 1100lbs, so I'm not sure what would account for such a wide discrepancy.  Only thing I can figure is there is a more industrial model (3ph motor) and a model with single phase power.  I'm pretty sure I remember this thing having a single phase 5HP motor, but my memory ain't always the best  :D  If it's truly 2350lbs I'd better bring some sockets, ain't no way that's goin in the back of my truck in one piece!

Devon

They came in both single & triple phase versions. 

These "wedgebed" planers can be tricky to lift.  It is best to lift them from the base.  Straps under the wedgebed can mess things up.

VT_Forestry

Devon,

Thanks for the heads up!  I probably won't get a chance to get up there until Labor Day, so I've got some time to figure out a game plan

VT_Forestry

Finally getting around to picking this thing up...we're headed there this weekend, hopefully on Sunday I'll be pointed southbound with a whole lot of old iron tailgating me:) 

VT_Forestry

Got it loaded up and hauled back to VA, all in all it was a pretty smooth process.  We were able to tilt the trailer to be level with the slope into the barn, and with a couple of pieces of heavy wall pipe we rolled it right on.  Now that it's home, the disassembly/cleaning/fun begins :)

Thank You Sponsors!