iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Structural Timber Stamping?

Started by JWright, July 01, 2012, 11:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWright

I was Wondering why there aren't more people milling lumber. I mean sure it's hard work don't get me wrong but there has to be a catch here! I read a post on a site the other night about the stamping of structural timbers.  The post basically was sayin that most states required this stamp on timber for it to be used for structural timber. The stamp would cost a comany like 250.00 a week to have your own stamp. Or you could pay an inspector to come check and stamp your wood. Does anyone know of this in the state of Georgia?

opticsguy

$250 for a stamp??   Can you make your own?    :-)
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, JWright.   :)

I assume that you are referring to lumber grading and Grade Stamp.  In my area, Architects will specify on the blueprint/construction drawings that #2 grade framing lumber be used.  Many municipalities and counties may also require that "graded lumber" be used before they will issue a building permit.  Building inspectors make periodic inspections as the building progresses to insure that the building materials are "up to code".  Loan institutions and insurers verify that the building was built using the materials that the Architect specified.

Yes, sometimes there are ways to circumvent grade stamps, but it is a very tricky venture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I didn't circumvent it. I just blew right through it. But then I live in an area where I can do that. Until I got on this board, I never realized the problems like this that some other folks have.

morgoon

It's a big problem for me

Up here in our municipality a farm doesn't need graded lumber for any out buildings, but everything else has to be grade lumber.

I don't make enough lumber to warrant a grader, but I would like to, and will soon have to find some one to do it.

I thought about becoming a grader, just to make things simpler.
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Magicman

I have absolutely no problem with grading here.  The Architect indicates on the building plans to use #2 graded and/or rough sawn lumber.  That way the building meets the drawing specifications and everyone is happy.

If there is no financing done, or we are outside of a municipality, then we do nothing but build.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Like, Kansas, no problems like that here in the Missouri Ozarks.  The best way "around" it is to not try to compete with the big boys to produce structural lumber (other than for yourself, if you can get by with it).  Barn siding, trailer decking, cabinet and furniture wood, and other jobs keep me pretty busy.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

JWright

Thanks y'all here in Georgia you can do or build pretty much anything yourself with no licenses permits or stamps. Like I said I just happened on that info the other day and was curious. I guess you could also look at it like if someone ask for a 4x4 I don't have to know if it's for a fence or a house! On the other hand if someone asked I want to be able too steer them write and not have them mad with me.

Thank You Sponsors!