iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One way to save old timbers

Started by shinnlinger, July 01, 2012, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

HI,

I had/have a 1860's barn on my property that while kinda cool and kinda old, it was under built and wasn't hewn.  Originally I was going to reuse the frame but decided it needed to much upgrading to make it worth it, so I just cut a new frame.

Since then, No less than 4 timberframe/restoration guys looked at it and they all said the same thing.  There were some cool sticks but they weren't interested.

About the only person interested in it was the tax man and my wife as it blocked the view from my new house, so as hard as it was, I had to take the old girl down.  I was as surgical as I could be with a 40, 000 lb excavator and a chains saw, but I am pleased with the amount of timbers I now have in a pile.  Some are to be re-purposed into a picnic pavilion and one of the previous timber frame guys has come back and is making me fair offers on the boards and other bits.  It went pretty fast to boot.

Neighbor took these shots, note him loafing in the last one....

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brian_Weekley

Nevertheless, very sad to see something that old come down.   :'(
e aho laula

shinnlinger

It could have come down in a snowstorm and been total junk or at least this way we got alot of useful stuff out of it without a lot of labor.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Rooster

Farmers have been recycling, reusing, and re-purposing barn material way before there were barn materials to re-purpose. ;)  Reusing the materials gives respect to the former building and the trees that were originally harvested.  I hope you can find a suitable project for them.

Peace,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!