iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baseboard re-model

Started by pineywoods, June 30, 2012, 03:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Most of us at one time or another get involved in some re-modeling project. I'll pass this bit along, just in case it might save someone a problem. Gym/multi-purpose building at church, walls finished in birch paneling. Baseboard is the cheap 4 inch vinyl glued in place. The stuff had cracked, peeled and dis-colored. Attempts to remove it thoroughly messed up the lower foot or so of the paneling. That industrial construction adhesive is some tough stuff.
Brain storming session with some of my grumpy old men buddies, why not just use 4 1/2 inch new baseboard and nail it right over the old stuff. Tried that, couldn't get the angles right on the corners and it left a big gap between the top of the baseboard and the wall paneling. The vinyl stuff is 3/4 inch thick at the bottom and 1/8 at the top. More brain-storming came up with this...

Work party made up 500 running feet of this, 4 3/8 tall. The back side is a mirror image of the old vinyl baseboard. The curved edges done on a shaper and the back cutout with a flooring back cut knife on my planer. Compound miter saw, 2 nail guns and more grumpy old men, 400 ft installed in a couple of hours. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

jamesamd

Problem solved,by experience!
Nice solution Piney. 8)
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Magicman

My "grumpy old men" definition differs from yours, especially in this instance.

I would say "Brothers working together for the good of others".   :)  By the way, nice solution.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The "Grumpy Old Men" are at it again  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!