iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing tulip popular

Started by Gary_B, June 30, 2012, 09:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

I just cut down a nice tulip popular, before I saw the log, should I let it dry some first, or saw it in a large cant and let it dry some before I mill it into 5/4 lumber. I know popular can really twist and bow. Years ago I bought some green popular lumber and it seem to have a mind of its own as it was drying out. I know its better to nail it up green fresh off the mill, but Id like to use some of the lumber for interior trim..

OneWithWood

I would mill it as soon as possible.  How large is the tree?  Smaller diameters may bow and crook more than larger trees.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

slider

A while back i sawed some green .stacked and stickered it right away.The mostly i by stuff 8 to 12 in wide.Some of the top boards moved around some but the rest did well.good luck.al
al glenn

Magicman

No waiting.  I would saw and sticker it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

Gary_B, Bust it down and sticker it right away! Poplar is a well behaved type of wood, where you will see twist and shout is when you get sapwood mixed in. I use butt logs and try to get most of the outer sap wood off the cant. Tim

YellowHammer

I like to saw poplar sap dripping green, the saw will cut it like butter.  Seal the ends, sticker it well, put another stack of stickered lumber on top of it for weight and it should stay straight.  In this heat, it'll dry real fast.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tyb525

I cut about 1500 bf of tulip poplar a couple summers ago, 4/4 all widths narrow to wide. I'd say 90% of it dried great. The ones that didn't were close to the pith.

Don't believe the myths you hear about letting logs "season" before you cut them. That only causes problems 99% percent of the time. Saw it up into the thicknesses you want ASAP. The only exception is if you want boards thinner than 3/4, in that case they are hard to dry that thin, so cut thicker boards and resaw them when dry.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Gary_B

Thanks for all the replies, tomorrow morning the mill will be running, really anxious , havent sawed anything nice and straight for a long time, Id say the base was around 28 inches. I cut the tree into 10 ft lengths. Looks like I should get nice stack of lumber out of the logs.

WDH

Quote from: tyb525 on June 30, 2012, 03:33:24 PM
Don't believe the myths you hear about letting logs "season" before you cut them. That only causes problems 99% percent of the time.

Ty,

I have to disagree with you on this one.  It actually causes problems more than 99.5% of the time  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

Letting tulip poplar logs lay will cause your sapwood to stain.  Putting it on wet stickers will give you sticker stain.  Not having enough air flow in your bundles may also cause sapwood to stain.  It won't plane out.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!