iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Blanket Chest

Started by Tree Feller, June 30, 2012, 12:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

This is going to a young lady who is a friend of ours. She's expecting her first child in September. We're gonna fill it with disposable diapers and LOML is gonna make a pad for the top so that it can double as a changing bed.

The wood is East Texas Cherry (not very common around here) that was given to me by the young lady's dad. It has a lot of mineral staining and an interesting look. He has a Woodmizer LT-40 and when the tree began showing signs of dying last summer, he cut it down and milled it up. He gave me a few planks and I had just enough to do the chest by patching some defects with epoxy. I didn't have enough to include any molding so I omitted it as I wanted all the exterior wood to be from their tree. The inside bottom is Eastern Red Cedar...two tongue & groove, 1/2" thick boards on top of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood.

The carcase is 20 in. deep, 40 1/2 in. long and 18 1/2 in. tall, not including the feet which are about 4" tall. The lid with breadboard ends overhangs by 1 in. on the front and ends. The back edge is flush. The chest hinges are from Rockler and it's the first time I've used this type. I think I'll use them again, though. I like them even better than the torsion hinges I've used before.

Finish is 5 coats of Target Coatings' EM-6000, Satin, Water-Based lacquer on the outside. The final two coats, I scuff sanded to 600 grit to remove any nibs. The inside finish is Zinsser shellac except for the Cedar bottom which is unfinished.

Thanks for looking.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Lud

Wow, nice feet, nice panels, nice hardware.

Are those hinges non-slammers?  Did you use the little balls in the raised panels?

Great work! :)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

Cody,

That is one of the nicest things that I have ever seen posted here!  I absolutely love that cherry.  It screams custom made versus the vanilla furniture store stuff that looks like plastic.  I also like the width of the styles between the raised panels, very pleasing and proportional design.  Man, I love that cherry  8).

That young lady is lucky to have you for a friend!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is knock you eyes out awesome.  The pride that you displayed in your workmanship will be enjoyed for many generations. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

A great looking, heirloom piece you created. Nice Job! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Norm

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Piston

Quote from: Tree Feller on June 30, 2012, 12:01:56 AM
...She's expecting her first child in September. We're gonna fill it with disposable diapers and LOML is gonna make a pad for the top so that it can double as a changing bed...

That is absolutely gorgeous, great work! 

FYI, my wife and I are expecting our first baby in late August, I have some Walnut milled and ready for use.  How should I ship you the lumber?   ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

metalspinner

8) 8)

Very nice, Tree feller.

The epoxy filled defects and mineral stain look really good, too. She will treasure that forever. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Tree Feller

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen. You certainly are complimentary and it's much appreciated.

Lud - No, the hinges are not torsion hinges. The lid will slam if it is dropped. I did use spaceballs on the long-grain sides of the panels...two per side. I don't use them on the end-grain side because the wood doesn't move in that dimension.

Piston - A blanket chest is really a pretty simple project. The first ones I made (we have four or five in the house) were from the plan off the New Yankee Workshop (Norm). I've since been tweaking the design since but it's still just a big box with feet. If you have even basic woodworking tools and skills, you can make one.

Thanks again to everyone for the nice comments.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

jamesamd

A work of Art,from the Heart!
It don't get any better than that.I just Love it!!!
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

POSTON WIDEHEAD

TREE FELLER......You're work is just "down right NASTY". (that means COOL in the hood).

I am very impressed, you do great work.

I have a question. Is the CHERRY out your way anything like the CHERRY in S.C.?

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Axe Handle Hound

Beautifully done!  I love all the color and staining in the wood.  I'll bet the recipient is going to be speechless when she gets it. 

Migal

Very sweet. Got to love a fine friend that has awesome talent. I live in Hawkins we should hook up some time.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 30, 2012, 04:32:14 PM
I have a question. Is the CHERRY out your way anything like the CHERRY in S.C.?

Thanks, David

It's Black Cherry, the same as most everywhere else I suppose. As I said, it's not real common around here, especially large trees. However, it looks like Cherry in log form, smells like Cherry when it's cut and it will burn easily like Cherry (from sawblades and router bits).

The last time I worked with Cherry I bought it from a local lumberyard at ~$8 per bft. I was almost scared to cut it since it was so expensive. I was a lot more relaxed working with free wood.   ;)

Cody
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

I can't remember if I have said this, but, I love that cherry  :D.

I am making a cherry hutch for a kitchen.  I was going to use pine for the secondary wood, but got aggravated with how it looked in comparison to the cherry.  This morning, after seeing your chest, I scrapped the pine idea as a secondary wood, and this hutch will be 100% cherry through and through  :).

Cody, when I need something very nice built, I am going to call you ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2012, 09:30:10 PM
Cody, when I need something very nice built, I am going to call you ;D.

It's a wonderful wood to work with isn't it. That particular tree had some very uncommon-looking wood, too, with all the mineral streaks and what not.

Hey, I'm in the book in Tyler, Texas. I do this stuff as a hobby, too. I'm working through the list I had of projects I promised people. You would be about No. 4 right now.   :D

Seriously, thanks for the compliment, Danny. I appreciate it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

WDH

Cody,

I used to work a good bit in Texas.  I aggravated the Texas Ranger and tcsmpsi when I over there.  If I had known, I would have aggravated you too  ;D.

SwampDonkey

You did an excellent job on the chest. Amazing work. I've never tried panels before.  :) Cherry always makes a nice project, doesn't it? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bill Gaiche

That is a very nice piece of furniture. They will be proud to own it. bg

Dodgy Loner

Wow, that's beautiful. I love the feet! Heck, I love the whole thing, but the feet really make it stand out!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Texas Ranger

Cody, WDH's aggravation generally centered around burned meat and stump water.  The boy does good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Clam77

WOW!!  That's a beautiful piece!!  She might cry when you unload that into her house..   :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Clam77 on July 02, 2012, 08:21:16 PM
WOW!!  That's a beautiful piece!!  She might cry when you unload that into her house..   :D

I cried when I saw it.....I thought I was gonna get it for a late birthday present via FED-EX. You have a talent Cody!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Thanks again fellas for the compliments. The recipient of the chest saw it yesterday. She didn't cry but she was duly appreciative, especially when she learned that it came from a tree on their property.

I've sold a few pieces of my work but it's a lot more fulfilling to give the stuff away to people who truly appreciate it. Thankfully, I can afford to do that sort of thing. Sawing my own lumber helps a lot.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Patty

WOW!    :o

The blanket chest is beautiful!     Good for you for brightening up that young friends day....heck you probably brightened up her whole year with that fine piece!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Tree Feller

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

Delawhere Jack

Beautiful wood + excellent workmanship= Heirloom.

Nice work!

WDH

Being able to saw out your own lumber = Priceless  ;D.

SwampDonkey

Especially if you have lots of wood to select from.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!