iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heat wave working hours.

Started by Bibbyman, June 29, 2012, 02:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Question;  If it's 105 in the shade,  how hot is it in the broiling hot sun?

Answer;  Too hot!

It's been unseasonably hot this spring.  At first we kind of enjoyed the warm, dry weather rather than the 50's and rain we'd normally get.  But when it started to get in the 90's about every day and get hotter sooner,  the fun wore off.

I'm not ashamed to admit that when it gets above 90,  I start to find good reason to knock off for the day. 

Up until a couple of days ago, we'd get up at the first glow of dawn and be out working by 6:00 or 6:30 at the latest.  We'd delay any work out in the log yard until early in the morning as it was still shaded by the big black oak trees.  But now that the sun comes up higher, faster,  the shade melts back pretty quick.

We have been working until early noon and go in a get a quick bite to eat and rest up a minute, then go back out and work a couple more hours. That would be all we could stand.

This week,  we'd make our usual early start but hit the wall by early noon.  Yesterday we sawed until about 10:00 when a customer came to pick up his order.  After he left, we continued on to finish the bundle we were working on and headed to the house.  It was just past 11:00 and already 95.

We were enjoying the AC when the logger called. That was about 3:00. They had a load on the truck and were giving us a heads up that they were coming.  I unloaded the truck while Mary took the logger to the shade and fan in the sawshed.  It was 102 when we started and when we got done and it was 105!

We'll take up the logs the first thing this morning and try to get them stored before the shade is gone. 

Are you guys working through this heat?  Shifting hours?  Or cutting out early?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

"Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun"  :D

This is why the Siesta was invented. Start at 6 like normal, work till lunchtime, and knock off when it gets too hot. have a snooze for a few hours, then get in a couple more hours of work later when it's starting to cool off. 4 to 6 maybe? Stage up the logs for an early start in the morning etc and knock off for the day.

Still gets 8 hours of work in, but you avoid that 12-4 when things are crazy hot.

Ian.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

I think we've changed our hot weather work hours.

When the thermometer hits 85-90°, depending on the humidity, we call it quits.

We will work in the morning hours and then again after 5:00PM.

Between me and my helper (off-bearer), we will routinely go through about 1½ gallon of spring water in a days work this time of year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

We are still working normal hours. We have pared back the overtime a bit but that is because we have finally slowed down a little bit. We go through a lot of bottled water.

Bibbyman

Seems once it hits that 100 mark, it doesn't cool down in the evening until the sun goes down – right now about 8:30.  Everything is hot.  I'm careful to park the loaders in the shade or under roof when I can.   Else the seat gets as hot as a cast iron skillet. 

We have fans and a refrigerator in the sawshed and that helps.  We also pace ourselves and not try to push the production rate.

BTW,  It's already 81 this morning at 6:00 am.  :'(
Sawing since '94

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ianab on June 29, 2012, 03:07:56 AM
"Only Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun"  :D

Ian.

Well I'm the Mad Dog. Getting ready to go fill the cooler with ice and bottled water. At 105 in the shade today, I can see it's gonna be another "MOLDY" day with the lumber.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

When it is miserably hot, I like to be sawing by 6:00.  We will make it until about 1:00 and then "call in the dogs".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

I'am on a light duty chit when it gets real hot,by all means slow down production especially if you have some years on your frame.Theirs nothing more important than your health and well being. Of course a yankee heatwave is anything over 86 degrees. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bugdust

Here at the mill site the early morning sun is semi-blocked by a few large oaks, but around 10:00 look out, here she comes. By 5:00 the large poplars block the evening sun. This is usually the best sawing time, that is if the humidity isn't busting 90%+. The good thing about sawing in the heat is takings lots of breaks, sipping ice water, and enjoying these beatiful WV mountains.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

westyswoods

There was a day when the hotter the better. 1988, 100 plus for many days if not in the high nineties. Building our home working 16 hour days no problem.

Yesterday started bucking up firewood and splitting around 0530 quit by 10:00,( 94 with high humidity) just didn't have the desire or physical ability to go any longer. Amazing what a mere quarter century will do to one.

Makes one appreciate what all those young men and woman fighting wildfires face every day. BTW don't see too many obese wild land  firefighters do you.

Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

SPD748

The weatherman is calling for 99* today in my area. I've got about 8 hours of welding left today before I can quit. I'm on lunch break now. Ya know, at the time wearing a leather jacket in this heat sounded like a good idea. I'm quickly having second thoughts :)

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

mikeb1079

QuoteI've got about 8 hours of welding left today before I can quit.

i will continue to work outside when it's toasty like this (to a point)  but one thing i won't do is metal fabrication.  it's a complete drag when it's this hot outside.  your pieces never ever seem to cool off!  i feel for ya brother! 
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

hackberry jake

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 29, 2012, 06:56:20 AM

We have fans and a refrigerator in the sawshed and that helps.

The refrigerator just makes things hotter. I had a buddy and his ac in his house went out so he opened his fridge and put a box fan in it. I explained to him that for whatever cold air he was getting, he was getting more heat off of the back of the fridge where the coils are.
Of course I'm sure you are referring to keeping beverages cold.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Larry

Is it hot out? :D :D :D

This morning I had to saw out an emergency order of mater stakes.  The farmer was trying to use string between stakes but said a lot of plants were too heavy.  He was all smiles as he is irrigating out of the creek...most growers are going to lose out due to the drought.

I doubt if the mill will run much till September, maybe October due to the heat.

Our extremely low humidity for the last two months is quite unusual.  Last night at 7:00 it was 99* with a RH of 25%.  The weather bureau said a heat index of 98*.  I didn't even know it worked that way.

I sawed about 300 foot of 4/4 red oak and put it on sticks less than two months ago.  I checked it with the meter yesterday and it read 18%.  I figured it would be checked but it looked good.  The stack is covered with tin and along with little rain we've haven't had much wind either.  I guess that's what saved it.  So much for the inch/year drying tale.

Going to be a very quiet fourth.  All the counties and now the cities have burn bans in effect...here its no fireworks unless an organized display.  Feel sorry for the sellers sitting out in there hot tents with few buyers.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

I had to get 3000bd ft of ash and walnut milled and in the kiln by today so it can be picked up before I leave for the pig roast.  The mill sits in the barn so I was not in full sun and a good breeze was moving the hot air around.  I drank gallons of cool water, taking a break after stickering the boards.  I work by myself so I get to take a break after every log to sitcker the boards  ::) 
Mill hours have definately been adjusted to allow for a siesta.  It does not begin to cool down until after 7pm.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

I hope that no one on my saw list calls.  If they do, I'll just have to remind them that I do not saw for crazy people.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tcsmpsi

I think we, here in the Big Thicket, would dry up and fade away (not enough wind to blow away) if humidity ever got below 80%.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Bogue Chitto

Yes, I am in the heat.  On vacation sitting on the beach Gulf Shores Alabama.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tree Feller

I only saw for myself and never in the summer heat. This time of year, I retire to my woodworking shop with AC and try to use up some of the wood I have accumulated.

When the daytime highs are below 85 degrees, I'll think about sawing again. It's fun but it's not THAT much fun.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

grweldon

Well, my new toy was just delivered about 10 days ago!  I was out there cutting yesterday evening... It was 94 degrees, but the humidity was unusually low... around 40%.  I love the heat!  That's why I moved to Alabama!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

davch00

Quotei will continue to work outside when it's toasty like this (to a point)  but one thing i won't do is metal fabrication
I used to work at the local shipyard and I can say that using cutting torches and welders in the heat is not fun.

They are forecasting 100+ for the next 4 or 5 days here. I'm glad the humidity is down around 35% instead of being in our normal 75-90% range. I don't mind the heat near as much as the cold I just make sure I drink lots of water and take more breaks. I've always said I would take 105 over 25...I just would like a little rain with it. 

Be careful out there in this heat.

grweldon

I'll take 105 over 25 any day... you don't mention in your post where "here" is...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

cutterboy

It's 90* outside now and I'm sitting in the living room with the air conditioning running. I have oak to saw but I'll get to it early in the morning. I have my mill set up in the woods in the shade.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Bibbyman

Quote from: grweldon on June 29, 2012, 03:52:03 PM
I'll take 105 over 25 any day... you don't mention in your post where "here" is...

Me?  Middle of Missouri.

We started about 6:30 this morning.  Measured up a load of logs. Mary cranked up the mill while I put 11 logs on the deck out of the load that fit the production we were working on. While going through picking out these logs, I put about half the remainder away.

Mary asked why I didn't put them all away. I told her I'd put the rest away in the morning, figuring the loggers would not be back today. I was wrong.  They're brought another load while I was gone.
Sawing since '94

davch00

Thank You Sponsors!