iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford Diesel

Started by Slabs, June 28, 2012, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slabs

A neighbor has a 2004 F 250 with a 6.0 (International) Diesel that overheats because of an, allegedly, defective EGR valve.  Fix estimates by the local wrench-benders is from $1K to $3K.

Anybody know of any options or alternatives?

Exhaust gas recirculation on a diesel is a new one on me.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Woodwalker

Trade it for a Chevy :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm not a Ford guy, but that EGR valve must be hard to get to.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

snowstorm

i have 2 of them. the egr valve is a easy fix. 1 wire plug 2 bolts. he mite have ment the egr cooler. when that leaks it puts colant into the motor it burns it . that tens to cause head gasket trouble. i deleted one of mine i dont see a down side to it. you go from burning exhaust to clean air. dont blame it all on ford every egr diesel had problems. cat detriot cummins all of them

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodwalker on June 28, 2012, 08:37:20 PM

I'm not a Ford guy, but that EGR valve must be hard to get to.
its right on top 5 mins to get it out. it dose need to be cleaned at least once a yr

Slabs

Quote from: Woodwalker on June 28, 2012, 08:37:20 PM

Yeah,  I've been shuffulin Chevy's for 53 years and counting.  Had all the little problems but no expensive ones.

Thanks for the replys gang.  Any others will be graciously received.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Cypressstump

Slabs, tell your friend with the Ford to go online to-   powerstroke.org

It's all Powerstroke Ford owners site, and there's soo much infomation to be had on any problem that that motor will ever have. There are sections for each modle of stroke, non-turbo 7.3, new 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 all ov' em'.

I have saved thousands of dollars by reading/understanding the problem at hand and fixing it myself.

Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Ironwood

I am a Ford guy and love my trucks but you couldnt give me a 6.0, sorry if anyone has one,...it is not IF you will have and issue but WHEN. I have had 10-15 guys with 6.0's not one was unscathed in the end. Even the guys not "working" them, just driving around town empty.  If you can do the work yourself and dont mind being "down" alot, go for it. AND it's CHEAP, like really CHEAP.

Look up Fordtruckenthusiast.com, again by model and engine, ALOT of info out there.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

FTE is also a good site.  Here is the 6.0 board:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bobus2003

The 6.0l was fords problem child.. Like said before its Not if, but when you have troubles.. Does sound like a EGR cooler, BUT on my '06 6.0l I had Overheating problems, and Ford replaced: 2 thermostats, Front engine cover (Thermostat Housing), 2 sets of Headgaskets, a pair of Heads, Egr Cooler, Radiator, Water pump, Temp senders, and the Dash Cluster all while chasing the problem.. Don't remember what actually was the fix.. But this was just one of the many problems with the truck.. Had almost $70K in Warranty Work done on the truck in the four years i had it.. So I say good luck.. Though I have a 6.0l now thats been a really good truck, and my brother and dad have had good luck also.. The current 6.0l is gonna get a Cummins the first time it has a issue

Thank You Sponsors!