iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Same Size Box, Same Price ??

Started by Magicman, June 28, 2012, 06:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Actually the newer box on the right is ½" taller.  Closer examination will reveal that it is also ½" thinner.  Yup, and contains 2 oz. less.   :o

Oh, but the price is the same, for now.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR Buck

Quote from: Magicman on June 28, 2012, 06:05:48 PM
Actually the newer box on the right is ½" taller.  Closer examination will reveal that it is also ½" thinner.  Yup, and contains 2 oz. less.   :o

Oh, but the price is the same, for now.   :-\

Yea, but you still get 2 scoops of raisens!  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magic......how do you come up with this stuff?

You can come up with some of the most interesting things I know.  :D

You are very observant in your walk of life.

I would have never noticed the 2 box sizes. But now, DanG ya, I'll be looking at cereal boxes a totally different way next time I go to Wal-Mart.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You will not find any 25.5 oz boxes because they have been replaced with 23.5 oz boxes.  Notice that the numerals are also tricky and non-eye catching.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

This has been going on for a few years now across the store and with most companies.  Products that used to be 16 oz. are now 14 oz and products that were 12 oz. are now 10 oz. Their thought process is try to keep the price point down.  Funny how they don't put it in the marketing or on the package how it is now a smaller package.

Slabs

Maybe Blumberg could use this trend to help with the mega-sugar drinks.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Brucer

It's also been observed in countless psychological experiments that people perceive a taller object to be "bigger than" a shorter object, no matter what the actual volumes are. So it's no coincidence that the new package is taller.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

wesdor

In our area we have some great tasting potatoe chips -Kitchen Cooked.  A year ago they were $2.99 for 16 oz.  often on sale often for $2.50.

They are now in a 10 oz thinner bag that costs 3.99

Probably no surprise that I don't buy them any more.  The good news is that is probably healthier not to eat them.

js2743

Seems every thing almost has been reduced in weight, sugar is 4lbs now instead of 5lbs. All the potato chips are in the same size bag here but the weight has been reduced a big bag of air looks better to the eye. Have even noticed Coke has lowered bottle size to 14oz. and left the price at 99 cents. If you notice Bleach has even been cut back but the price is the same as a gallon used to be. Only thing that hasnt changed in size is a Gallon of milk but im sure they are sitting scratching their head trying to figure out how to change it also.

Cypressstump

The most disturbing part of standing in the grocery store isle to compare anything, is that you have to turn the item around backwards to be able to read the ENGLISH description.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cypressstump on June 29, 2012, 08:05:46 AM
The most disturbing part of standing in the grocery store isle to compare anything, is that you have to turn the item around backwards to be able to read the ENGLISH description.

:D :D :D

moosehunter

Ice cream is the one that torques me. A half gallon no longer exists. Hershey's was the last hold out here, but they gave in too.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

metalspinner

Our local stores have the price per unit labeled on a tag below the package.  For instance "13.2 per ounce."  That is the figure I go with.  They use that description for their shopper card discounts and coupons, too.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Riggs

Quote from: moosehunter on June 29, 2012, 11:57:31 AM
Ice cream is the one that torques me. A half gallon no longer exists. Hershey's was the last hold out here, but they gave in too.

I was going to point that out too...
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

shinnlinger

I find it interesting that the bean counters figured it was better business to retool their factories to make slightly smaller containers than simply raising their price.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

scgargoyle

Blue Bell ice cream is still 1/2 gallon, and I think there are a few other small brands. Has anyone noticed that '1/2 gallon' of orange juice is no longer 64 oz.?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Misfit

Quote from: shinnlinger on June 29, 2012, 12:33:04 PM
I find it interesting that the bean counters figured it was better business to retool their factories to make slightly smaller containers than simply raising their price.

Actually, it was probably the marketing department that came up with that. Any bean counter worth their molasses would have tried to nix the re-tooling cost and pushed for a price increase. Been there, done that, got the heartburn....  ;D
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Magicman on June 28, 2012, 07:13:18 PM
You will not find any 25.5 oz boxes because they have been replaced with 23.5 oz boxes.  Notice that the numerals are also tricky and non-eye catching.

And, of course, in nice, big, bold catchy letters...the "Value Size" is yet prevelant.   Hmmmm....wonder what those "scoops" look like?    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Warbird

On every shelf label at the store we shop at there is a "price per unit" in fine print.  People think I'm nuts sometimes but I will stand there with 2 different sized packages of a similar product and read those shelf labels.  If the "price per unit" isn't listed clearly, then I pull out the iPhone and use the calculator to figure it out myself.

I always get a little steamed at the blatant misleading in some of the advertising and packaging to hide the smaller amount of product.  The ice cream brands Hagen Daz & Ben & Jerry's both, for a while, kept the similar pint sized cartons but moved the bottom of the container up into the carton.  Less product, almost same sized carton.  I stopped buying from them.  :-\

fat olde elf

Didn't take too long to ID all the ice cream eaters in this crowd...Me too....
I watch the price per oz deal.....Charlotte is a test market for a lot of national brands.  I love to eat so I enjoy trying all the new market entrys.  Latest winner is Stacey's Pita chips....
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Magicman

Careful there, we don't want the olde elf to get fat.   food6

Warbird

Jeff

We talked about this a bit ago in the food section. I had posted about one package I found that was absolutely created to deceive.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53617.msg776069.html#msg776069
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on June 30, 2012, 04:21:20 PM
We talked about this a bit ago in the food section. I had posted about one package I found that was absolutely created to deceive.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53617.msg776069.html#msg776069

I read about the candy corn. Is this not illegal marketing?

barbender

I can handle a lot but when they start messin with the ice cream I'm up in arms :( :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!