iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RFD TV Auctions

Started by DouginUtah, June 28, 2012, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I sometimes watch the cattle auctions. When they are auctioning 420# heifers and the bid is $190, is that per hundredweight?

Also what is meant by $6 payback (that may not be the right term). $150 freight adjustment means?

Just curious.

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

redbeard

Cant answer cattle auction questions but sure enjoy some of other segments on RFD channel like Tractor fever.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ironwood

I dont have a TV, and had to look up RFD TV, thanks, looks interesting..

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

fishpharmer

Doug, I am confident the answer to your first question is yes, that is price per hundredweight. 

I am not sure about the other questions.  I think they are generally sold (or divided) by the tractor trailer load, or approximately 48,000 lbs.    Here is a link to the some auction results...

http://www.superiorlivestock.com/onlineCatalog/?auctionId=466

Never bought or sold a load at a time, yet ;).
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

I can tell you the cost to the Store was 8.01 per lb. on Choice Strip Steaks this week.
They're right at 85% yield, 15% waste so the real cost is around 10 dollars per lb.  with more price increases coming because of small herds.
We have Strip Steaks on Sale for 8.99 this week.  That is the highest retail Sale price ever on them.  It used to be a profitable item.  Not anymore.
I used to love rfdtv but we don't get that channel anymore. :(

Faron

I think the term is "slide" as in a $6 slide.  If the cattle weigh a certain amount more than the estimated weight at delivery, then the price "slides back $6.00 to adjust for the heavier weight.   I can not remember the term, but they also sometimes sell mixed loads of steers and heifers.  They will then bid as if it were a load of steers, with a specification of how much less than the bid the heifers will sell for.   I assume the freight adjustment means the seller will contribute $150.00  toward the haul bill.  Evidently the standard on the auction is that the buyer is responsible for trucking.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Thank You Sponsors!