iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New WM-40 mill

Started by JD350Cmark, March 04, 2004, 07:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD350Cmark

Well guys, thanks for all the replies to my questions.  Thanks Dave (SawInltCA) for the offer to see yours.  From what Bibby said, I think it would be good if I don't set foot around a super.  Anyways, I towed home a new 40 stan. hyd. yesterday.  I am sure that I will have many more questions, but for now the sun is com'in up and I've got lots to do today.  Thanks again.  -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

shopteacher

8)Congratulations JD, I know you won't be sorry.  They're very good mills and you'll have many good hours sawing on it.  Careful tho, those new mill scratch easy and should probably be kept indoors so as not to get wet.  Get yourself a big. big can of carnuba wax so you can keep her polished real pretty.  8) Hey I'm just envious.  :'(
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ronwood

JD350Cmark,

Congrats on the new mill. I am sure you will be happy with it. Went to Indy Feb 2003 and picked up my mill. Spent about 3 hrs going through it with Woodmizer Staff. For part time sawing and cutting by yourself it will keep you busy.

Ron   8) 8)
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

VA-Sawyer

JD350,
So, what engine ? What options?  Like the song says " tell us more, tell us more... "
VA-Sawyer

sandmar

Congrats JD350!
I also brought my new WM 40 home on Tuesday after a training session. Now you guys will have to actually hear from me rather than my lurking in the background. Yep,I got bunches of questions,but they gotta wait ,going to buck a few logs to saw. I really enjoy this site,thanks everyone!

Sandmar

ronwood

sandmar

Welcome to the forum! Please don't hesitate to ask question. There is some very knowledgeable members on the forum. Jeff runs a class site.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

shopteacher

Well congratulations to you to Sandmar and glad to see you now that your not lurking any longer. Ya, Ol Butch can answer any question, and I mean any question.  Problem is his answers are mostly wrong :-[
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the FF sandmar..  And congratulations on y-all's new mills.

I see your tree is planted just north of Atlanta, Ga.   I've spent some time around Athens, Ga, and took some back roads around there a time or two.  Purdy nice country.  'Least they know a grit is when they see one. ;)

Mary's been letting ME do some of the sawing the last couple of days.  I about forgot how much fun it is.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Congradulations JD.  

You wont be disappointed.

You came to the right source for information.  This site has been a huge for me on many occasions.

Bibby:
Thanks for all the info on the Pattern down stuff!  I used it quite a bit while in Arkansas and am now kicking myself for not learning its value sooner.

Thanks
Kirk

OneWithWood

Congratulations to both of you.  Great choices!  I too am a newbie even though I have been around the forum for a while.  We will all learn together :)

JD350Cmark,
Would the JD350C be in reference to a John Deere 350 C crawler?  I have a mid seventies vintage JD 450 CA that I use to skid logs, build log roads, dig foundations and create assorted mayhem with.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Minnesota_boy

JD350Cmark,
Pay close attention to what Shopteacher says.  I didn't get mine in a shed quick enough and it has scratches, the paint is a bit faded and it has some rust here and there.  Of course, I got mine in '96 and have it outside whenever I saw and whenever I don't saw too.  :D

Anyway, welcome to the forum and welcome to the ex-lurker Sandmar too.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

sandmar

Hi Bibby
We are 40 miles north of Atlanta straight up I-75 in Cartersville.
Better not let Mary catch you playing with her mill..she might debark you!

We got LT40HDG25,debarker,lubemizer.and seat. Yep I be old and ornery ;)

Got a few logs cut today,try to have enough by Saturday to really try out Big Orange.Trying to let all the lookie-loos get an eyefull before I start cutting so I don't saw my dogs right off the bat ;D

I appreciate all your input on this forum,I am still try to catch up with back posts,will have to wait for a rainy day now though

Sandmar

DR_Buck

Congrats to both.    8)

Makes my LT40HD  mill old now.  Got it way back in January 04!   ;D  I'm up to around 27 hours run time.     I was gona wax it too, but couldn't get all the ice chipped off!

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

sandmar

oh yeah...I use a JD 450C with 4-1 bucket{clamshell} for the heavy lifting and cleaning up chores. I have a Ford 3000,but it's not as much fun as the 450C ;D  Yep this WD has me smiling like a mule eating briars!

Sandmar

Tagerts_crossing

keep the band spinning the fingers on the hand and the dogs down and have fun!  If that dont cover it just ask for help here, and remember pictures of new mills on the FF are gooood!
John Schoolcraft

JRC

I was in Indy on Tuesday for training on my used LT40HDD42  8)Super, this will be 4th WM, started with a new LT40 way back in June1986. I'm trying to find a new home for #3, a 1990 LT40HD24, someone who will apperciate her and treat her right.

Percy

JD/Sandmar/JRC
Congrats on your new aquisitions.  ;D Thats a popular choice, I think its WM's top selling hydralic mill. You guys are gonna have a great time from here on in. Calloused hands, sawdust in yer underware, meeting alot of very entertaining folks. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Stump Jumper

got to be spring fever all these new mills 8) congratulations folks 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Bibbyman

Ten years ago this comin' Good Friday we picked up our first Wood-Mizer mill in Indy.  What an exciting time that was.  

Only took me 6 months to talk Mary into buying a manual LT40.  Couldn't get her to go the extra for the HD.  Now just look what it turned out to be - she has taken over the sawmill business and runin' an LT40HDE25-RA Super.   Good thing we didn't make a business plan. :D
Sawing since '94

Dugsaws

congrats to all the new mill owners, keep us posted when you saw your first dog, and take some pictures
Doug

JRC

I cut my first dog back in 1986, I forget just when, but I've my share since and plenty of other items also, including insulators, knives, steel cased bullets, rocks, wire, staples, nails (of all kinds and sizes). About a year ago I found 3 old cut nails that were driven in around a 1" hole drilled in the tree, is was used as a coon snare, they were in there close to 100 years. The tree was a yellow poplar that I counted 340 rings on, I had to use a magnifyer on some of them. It was very intresting and I still have a disc of that tree.

Norm

Good to have some new folks on here with new mills. I don't know what they put in sawdust but it's addictive.

We've had our mill for three years now. Lots of work but I enjoy it more than the day I got it in. Still stand back in awe when I open up a tree to see what nobody else has ever seen before.

Sandmar got me thinking about the folks that come here but don't post cause they think you need a mill to do so. Not the case at all. Jump right in the waters fine. :)

Bibbyman

I looked around for the photo album of pictures we took in Indy when we picked up the mill.  Didn't find the album but did find this one picture.  

LT40G18  Spring 94

Me (BB -Before Bibs) sawing big water oak - summer 94.

Sawing since '94

sandmar

Norm.I appreciate your welcome and I wasn't being bashful before I got the mill. My Daddy told me long ago, you learn more listening than talking,so I have been reading old posts and trying to get a feel for this forum for several months.Think I have a FEW of you folks pegged now ;D
Got several logs bucked yesterday to get a whack started,also found out I wished my chainsaw had a seat like my WM so I could ride while I cut..old age ain't for wimps!
Will try to post some pics soon,everyone be patient.

Sandmar

JD350Cmark

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I got the debarker, accuset, lubemizer, auto clutch and 25 Kolar.  Spent yesterday dropping some trees including a 46" Redwood.  I would add a picture, but not sure how.  Milled 2 12' X 24" fir logs today.  

OneWithWood;  yes, it does mean a dozer.  I have 2 350C's, 1980 & 1981, both 6-way, rippers, and also have a 1982 450C loader 4/1, rippers & backhoe.  Good tractors, they have  never failed to start for me.  -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

Thank You Sponsors!