iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

milling cedar... what should I charge?

Started by shelbycharger400, June 27, 2012, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

I recieved a call earlier, im selling a bunch of berry plants. He seen i also have milled boards .   He goes on to say how much will I charge him to mill his logs. He said they are cedar but didnt know what kind  :-\   ,  and are from 12 inch up to 20 in dia.
he also said he was thinking 2x6's.   Kinda almost seems a waste to mill a 2x6 from what it sounds like a red cedar. I havent gave him a price, i have not even seen these logs or trees.  I will know more on saturday. He hasnt had them down, possibly this fall he will.     He said he would be delivering them to me, and then come and pick up the lumber when done.   Also he said he would prob have to have a tree service take them down because where they are ect.  I told him , being he is 12 miles away, id look at them and tell him what would be best and where to cut.   o...and  i have told him with my current setup im only able to do 8 ft ers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I charge 25 cents a BF for logs 12 and up. Except Oak and Hickory, I charge 35 cents. Anything under 12 inches I charge 50 dollars an hour.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Myself I'd do it by the hour ,cedar can be very time consuming and like trying to clamp a football. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hackberry jake

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 28, 2012, 08:20:05 AM
Myself I'd do it by the hour ,cedar can be very time consuming and like trying to clamp a football. Frank C.
:D it's funny because it's true!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

shelbycharger400

clamping a football..  i sorda fixed that issue..
I have 2  sliding clamps for on the backside, they look like forked snake toungs. they bite in the log,  with the 2 screw clamps on the front,  the logs dont move anymore, even ones that are 8 in dia. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on June 28, 2012, 04:11:46 PM
clamping a football..  i sorda fixed that issue..
I have 2  sliding clamps for on the backside, they look like forked snake toungs. they bite in the log,  with the 2 screw clamps on the front,  the logs dont move anymore, even ones that are 8 in dia.

PICTURES?????  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

shelbycharger400

the set screws should be on the angle of the 2x2 steel tubing.
I havent had time to fix this.
the 1.5 sq tube worked perfect up to 12 in dia until i put in  2, 2x4's for bunks.   
they still work ok, but need to be longer now if i cut a 12 in or bigger log.
even still..this dose work for plain sawing until i go to edge a board or the 3rd side of a cant.  the clamp shifts due to the placement of the pinch bolt and goes over 90 deg.
Ignore the washer..it was something that didnt work out.

YellowHammer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 28, 2012, 08:20:05 AM
  like trying to clamp a football. Frank C.

I thought it was just me!   :D. Glad to know I'm in good company.  I charge $.35 to $.50 per bdft and square it up as fast as I can so I can get a good bite with the clamp. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Woodey

I charge .33 cents b.f. for all species of wood that I mill.
Also charge $20.00 if I hit nail or other objects in wood.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Thank You Sponsors!