iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Boards are Molding....I BEAT IT!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 27, 2012, 05:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 28, 2012, 09:25:17 PM
The mold and mildew that turns the outside of the board black and the fungus that stains the interior of the wood that nice blue color are different critters.

You are right my friend. I am not really worried about BLUE STAIN, it's the GREEN and I mean "GREEN" MOLD. I can rub my hand in it and it's almost like a paint.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

I know exactly what you mean, and I hates it too  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cypressstump

How long after you cut and sticker do you start seeing the mold ? And how green was the pine when cut?
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

tcsmpsi

Yes, the mold/mildew, if not taken care of and is allowed to grow long enough,  will deteriorate the wood.  It's humid enough down here, though winter is better, there is no 'guarantee' of it not getting warm enough to grow these little spirits.

For those pines I do not wish to have 'bothered' by the little rascals, I spray with bleach water.  After the fact, spraying with said solution will help take the green out very well.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cypressstump on June 29, 2012, 07:49:18 AM
How long after you cut and sticker do you start seeing the mold ? And how green was the pine when cut?

After I stack and sticker I will see that the mold has a good start within 48 hours. Some of my logs are dry to where the bark is just releasing and other logs are has green as 2 weeks old. I just get a load on the forks and saw. Generally sale about 600 plus a month. When a customer buys them, they agree.....get up on the barn as soon as possible. The mold will go away.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Per WDH...I did some experimenting. You can see how moldy the boards are in my first set of pics. I mixed 3 cups of bleach with 2 gallons of water ( H2O Danny)  :) and sprayed the boards GOOD!

So what is my experiment? Tell me if I'm wrong but mold is a type of plant....right? So I mixed in about 2 ounces of Round-Up. Hopefully when it soaks in, the round-up will help keep down any further growth until the boards sell.

Below are the boards just about at their worst.

Here I am spraying my secret potion.....water, bleach and Round-Up.
                                                 I'm the "Little Fat Boy" in the ORANGE SHIRT

Here are the boards later in the day.

Here is the stack now......I just sold 160 boards.

Here is the reason for the mold.

Tree Feller

Yeah, the bleach will definitely kill mold. Just sell the lumber quick before it comes back!   :D

I think the addition of Roundup may not be necessary as Fungi are neither plant nor animal but are their own classification.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

tcsmpsi

Two things....those boards weren't bad, and I make mine a mite stronger.   ;D  When the fuzzy little rascals get about a half inch tall, and telling if a board is actually in the midst of that jungle is only because you know you put one there, you have to look closely and make sure it's not starting on you.   :D

However, you have done well, and I am sure that you are much happier with that stack, now.  Eh? 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

cutterboy

David, good for you for staying with it till you found a solution. I'm going to remember this in case I have another problem with mold.

Looks like nice country where you live. That last picture shows a bit of it and it looks real pretty.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

red oaks lumber

your problem will always continue as long as your piling your wood in an area with minimal air flow. put your pile in the open and you wont have mold issues, the heat is only a small part of your problem. lack of air flow is the biggest enemy you face, by spraying your wood you only mask the bigger problem. :(

air flow  air flow air flow
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 29, 2012, 07:54:41 PM
your problem will always continue as long as your piling your wood in an area with minimal air flow. put your pile in the open and you wont have mold issues, the heat is only a small part of your problem. lack of air flow is the biggest enemy you face, by spraying your wood you only mask the bigger problem. :(

air flow  air flow air flow

Not looking for a long term solution. Just enough bleach to keep the mold down for a week to 10 days. The boards don't stay here long.

But you are right Steve,,,,,if I was looking for long term air drying, I would need to change a few things.

WDH

You must have slipped a little eye of newt into that spray H2O  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 29, 2012, 08:07:16 PM
You must have slipped a little eye of newt into that spray H2O  :D.

And a bone from an Indian burial ground.  ;D

Tree Feller

You sure do look different in that bush hat than you do with that wide-brim hat and bibs in your avatar.   :o :o :o
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

shelbycharger400

dont feel bad... i have erc growing green mold that i cut 2 weeks ago..   >:(
bleach and borax isnt workin.     boxelder is the worst for mold/ fungus

Trahlin

Any liquid product with copper (copper sulfate) will inhibit mold development.  Be careful of what you use as copper sulfate may stain the product blue.  There are a myriad of copper solutions available through fertilizer dealers designed to be sprayed as foliar fertilizer. 

Proven in production agriculture to be a fungicide.  Used all over the world, and has been cheap until the last couple of years.  We spray copper sulfate solution on pinto bean fields to prevent mold damage.  I see no reason why it wouldn't work for your boards.

If you want to see how effective copper is at controlling fungus, look for an old house with lightning rods on the roof.  The old cables that ran from the ground rod and connected the lightning rods in circuit were made of copper.  You will not see any moss growing on the shingles in the vicinity of the copper wire. 

You only truly fail, when you fail to TRY!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well here is my experiment update. After spraying my Pine boards with Bleach & Water....it kept the mold off for 14 days. The Mold now is starting to return on my experimental boards.

However, the mold did stay away long enough for me to sell good mold free boards.  8)

WDH

If they molded after you sold the wood, then you can make the case that it is not your mold, but the customer's mold  :D.

scsmith42

David, have you tried putting a few box fans on one side of your stacks, blowing through them?  This may help and be cheaper than the bleach (and less time too!).
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

Quote from: Trahlin on June 30, 2012, 12:01:41 PM

If you want to see how effective copper is at controlling fungus, look for an old house with lightning rods on the roof.  The old cables that ran from the ground rod and connected the lightning rods in circuit were made of copper.  You will not see any moss growing on the shingles in the vicinity of the copper wire.
And that is one of the reasons for copper flashing and ridge cap on a wood shingled roof!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Some put a copper wire or narrow copper strip just under every 3rd or 4th run of beveled or lapped siding to ward off mildew.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scsmith42 on July 12, 2012, 10:19:04 PM
David, have you tried putting a few box fans on one side of your stacks, blowing through them?  This may help and be cheaper than the bleach (and less time too!).

Yes, I did try the fans. But as you know, in the Carolinas, when the heat index was 110 degrees, the fans were no help. It's cooling down a little now. Thanks goodness.

giant splinter

Sounds like a good reason to build an air conditioned mill shed
roll with it

bandmiller2

A friend of mine uses cheap pool shock treatment on lumber, mostly chlorene bleach.Back when folks cut ice for ice houses they would put copper sulfate in a burlap bag and hang it in a feeder stream to keep the pond weed free.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!