iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

looking for a small saw for fence posts, brush ect.

Started by TessiersFarm, June 26, 2012, 08:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessiersFarm

Is the Husky 351 any good, saw a used one for fair money but I prefer pro saws, not sure what that model is.  It will be replacing a stihl 026.  For dealer reasons I am leaning toward a husky.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

deerslayer

If I was using a saw for the purposes you stated, I would get a smaller one than the Husky 351. I use a Stihl 009L for that type of usage. There are smaller Huskies too if you want to use that brand.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

shinnlinger

I was under the impression that HUsky only makes homeowner units in the smaller displacements and they aren't considered a good value like an Echo 400s or the Poulan Pro 5020

Am I wrong?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

TessiersFarm

According to my dealer and the husky website the 339XP is the smallest pro series saw, followed by the 353 which is what I am leaning towards.  Below that they are plastic crankcases, low end saws.  The 351 I was looking at got sold so thats out.  I have a couple of stihl 036's and a husky 372 we use for heavier work, and my father has a stihl 180 I bought which is too small for what I want, and quite frankly  too much plastic for my liking.  I want something I can cut fence posts with, limb a little, trim the occasional tree around the fence line with ect.  At times the saw will be used pretty hard and I have not had good luck with cheap saws.  I also looked at the 346XP which my dealer said is quite similar to the 353 but close to $100 more money, not worth it in his opinion for my use. 

I get a little nervous with all the new homeowner lines now, used to be if you bought a stihl or husky you got a good quality saw, now they make cheap ones to compete with the wildthings ect.  If thats what I wanted I would take a trip to walmart.  The stihl 026 I am replacing, I bought used 20 years ago and have put little into it, it siezed up and is either the crank or piston.  Either way it isn't worth fixing, but it doesn't owe me anything either.  It was the first pro series saw I ever bought and I will never buy another homeowner saw if I can help it.  The only reason I bought the 180 is Father can't run a saw anymore because of knee and back problems and he just had to have that little stihl, he can't run that too long either so he will never wear it out.

Sorry to be so long winded!
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

deerslayer

The Stihl 026 you have is probably worth repairing if the saw is in good physical condition. Lots of parts are available for that model. I have had one for over 20 years and it is my go to saw (out of about 10). With a torx wrench you could pull the muffler and look at the piston and cylinder to see if that is the problem. They are light and reliable. You could probably have it running great for much less than a replacement would cost. Also, if you want a pro saw then the 346 would be a good choice. My opinion is that you could get by with much less for what you are doing with it especially in light of your other saws. But, to each their own.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

TessiersFarm

Pulled the muffler, piston is definately scored, I can pull it over but very hard, easier when plug is out but still hard.  Piston and cylinder assembly from baily's is $120.00, gaskets $10, add shipping gets me around $150 for parts alone.  Not sure if I want to dump that into a 20 plus year old saw thats had a quite a lot of use.  I might tear it down and see how the cylinder looks, can I hone them a little or is that a definate no no.  Piston kit is $45.  I do like that saw pretty well.
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

deerslayer

Most times the cylinder can be saved by cleaning off the transferred aluminum with muriatic acid. Until you clean it up, it is pretty hard to tell whether it is salvageable or not. Even if it needed a cylinder, it would still be worth putting it in as then you would have an entire new top end and probably good to go for many more years.

The big question is WHY is the piston scored? If it was a fuel issue, that can be remedied. It is possible the saw has an air leak and ran lean because of that. If that is the case, then it is very important to remedy the root cause or soon the new piston will look just like the one you'll be pulling out. Crank seals would be suspect, carb restricting fuel, etc. If it was mine, I'd fix it as it sounds like the ideal size for your needs. These saws are easy to work on and you could do it yourself.

John Mc

The Husky 353 is a good saw, with pro-type construction. Light enough to use all day (even if you're just weekend warrior like me), has enough power to do felling and bucking if you need to. (It may take a bit of patience if you are cutting 10" - 12"+ hardwoods, but as you said, you have other saws more suited to that if the need arises).

Lots of places sell them with a 20" bar. IMO a 16" is a much better match for this saw: better balance and better match for the power, at least in hardwoods.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TessiersFarm

Will most likely keep and fix it myself, although right now its hay season and it will have to wait till fall, in the mean time I got a lead on another 026 running for $100, I told him I'd take it basicly sight unseen, as long as its a running saw.  Supposed to get it by sunday. 

I think it is a fuel issue, had a dose of heavy ethanol in another saw, was running different, not bad just different.  Brought it to my service guy for a tune up.  He put new gas in and tuned it up in general.  I though I got rid of the bad gas, it is possible the 026 saw got bad gas.  I will use whatever gas I have gas in something else (like my company truck) just in case.    Any saw I ever had with an air leak had erratic idle when you tipped it around much.  I generally don't do a lot on my saws because there are usually plenty of other things to do that pay better, and my service guy is reasonable and good, but in this case it may be in my best interest.

Thanks for the replies!
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

maple flats

ethanol is the demise of many small engines. While additives are available to sort of fix the issue, I searched out a station that sells non ethanol and use that exclusively in every small engine I own, saws, pumps, mowers, trimmers etc.
To find pure gas, google puregas.org, they have over 5000 stations listed that sell non ethanol gas. When you find a station, call and verify, the listings are just added by anyone who finds a station, and are not verified by the owners of the site, much of the listings could be out of date or just incorrect.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Maine372

for cutting brush and small diameter (wood 6" or less) i love a husqy 346xp. there are two different versions, both are awesome saws. balance well with a 16inch bar. they will carry an 18in bar but dont expect to burry it in the wood. it just saves you bending over a little bit more.

TessiersFarm

Found a place for straight gas not too far away, will look into that a little closer.  The 346xp is the one I was most interested in, but the dealer said the 353 was on the same chassis , different piston assembly and not tuned as fast, he reccomended for my use it would be a good choice and a little cheaper.  I was never much of one to cheap out.  For now the 026 I bought is supposed to be here sunday, and I know I will be happy with it. 

Thanks Again
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

John Mc

Keep an eye on those gas stations selling non-ethanol gas. Here in Vermont, there are stations that carry it, but it is available only seasonally (basically late may through September). Outside to that date range, you simply can't find non-ethanol gas around here.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

TessiersFarm

Here its an airport, they sell leaded gas for my old tractors as well.
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

John Mc

I'm a pilot. I can get AvGas as well. I might use it in a pinch in my chainsaw, but not on a regular basis. I just don't need to be breathing lead fumes on a regular basis. (I worked around molten lead for a good bit of my adult life... I figure I've breathed in enough to last me a while.)

Full Chisel

Quote from: TessiersFarm on June 26, 2012, 09:46:50 PM
According to my dealer and the husky website the 339XP is the smallest pro series saw, followed by the 353 which is what I am leaning towards.  Below that they are plastic crankcases, low end saws.  The 351 I was looking at got sold so thats out.  I have a couple of stihl 036's and a husky 372 we use for heavier work, and my father has a stihl 180 I bought which is too small for what I want, and quite frankly  too much plastic for my liking.  I want something I can cut fence posts with, limb a little, trim the occasional tree around the fence line with ect.  At times the saw will be used pretty hard and I have not had good luck with cheap saws.  I also looked at the 346XP which my dealer said is quite similar to the 353 but close to $100 more money, not worth it in his opinion for my use. 

I get a little nervous with all the new homeowner lines now, used to be if you bought a stihl or husky you got a good quality saw, now they make cheap ones to compete with the wildthings ect.  If thats what I wanted I would take a trip to walmart.  The stihl 026 I am replacing, I bought used 20 years ago and have put little into it, it siezed up and is either the crank or piston.  Either way it isn't worth fixing, but it doesn't owe me anything either.  It was the first pro series saw I ever bought and I will never buy another homeowner saw if I can help it.  The only reason I bought the 180 is Father can't run a saw anymore because of knee and back problems and he just had to have that little stihl, he can't run that too long either so he will never wear it out.

Sorry to be so long winded!

Whoa, I'd like to get that for parts! PM me.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Al_Smith

On this subject of a small saw just recently I landed an 024 Stihl from a dealer for 50 bucks .A little scuff on the piston but not that bad .

Surprisingly that  thing has really got some grunt for a little saw .Fact I used it all day yesterday on some storm clean up and it never missed a beat .That thing is light as a feather too.

lumberjack48

The 028 Woods Boss is one of the best saws Stihl built. My brother In-law fell 40 cords of swamp Spruce a day with one, he kept two skidders going. Heres a picture of a nice one, if i had the money i'd buy it.
What is a nice 021 worth ?

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Clam77

LJ - Prices for saws that size around here are right around $200.. depending..

I'd like to have a small one like that too!! 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Thank You Sponsors!