iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by grweldon, June 26, 2012, 04:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Is it necessary to use dry stickers to use with the pecan I'm air drying?  I would like to cut them from the pecan itself.  What are the drawbacks to doing this?

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Radar67

Using wet stickers can cause sticker stain and possibly mold where they sit.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ianab

Some species you can get away with using green stickers of the same type, cut as you go. Cypress and Cedar seem fine. But most woods will stain if you use green stickers. If you expect the wood to be used for woodworking, and not covered with paint etc, then don't take the chance. Get some scrap wood (any old pine or even plywood is OK) and rip it into stickers. I think Pecan is prone to staining.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tyb525

I had a bunch of 1x pine boards, they can sometimes be had for cheap or free from someone getting rid of them. I rip them to 1" tall on the tablesaw, that way I can tell which way the sticker goes (1" is the vertical dimension).
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Pecan is one of the worst actors.  It will gray stain on you, which is an enzymatic oxidation reaction that occurs naturally at high temp and high humidity.  It will cause the wood to get splotchy.  Using wet stickers for pecan is almost a sure fire recipe for sticker stain, and many times this stain goes so deep into the wood that you cannot plane it out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!