iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Olympic Summer Games

Started by Magicman, June 26, 2012, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We get excited during the Summer Games.  Partly because we were volunteer workers at the 1996 Atlanta Games.  I guess that opportunity was a "once in a lifetime" opportunity for us.  We were issued uniforms and reported to our jobs each day working in the communications center answering questions and giving directions. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

This summer, we are really excited becasue we're going!  Can't wait!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Wow, good for you and how exciting.  I'm assuming that you have some particular events that you plan to watch?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

snowstorm

Quote from: doctorb on June 26, 2012, 11:36:45 AM
This summer, we are really excited becasue we're going!  Can't wait!
so is my son. sort of took him to boston sunday to fly to london to see his grand parents. makes his 3th trip. he is 15. this is his 2th time flying by himself. his grandfather used to work for one of the airlines, so he flys for free. so he has to leave before the games. american airlines told me kids only have to be 12 to fly buy themselves. way to young

Norm

I wonder if that's a new rule. When I used to fly a bunch I'd see really young kids by themselves. I'd just shake my head thinking no way would I let mine do that.

Kansas

Am I the only person that thinks the worst event in the Olympics is sychronized swimming?

I don't watch a lot of them, but do like the running events.

doctorb

Magic-

We'll see the opening ceremony, volleyball, track and field, gymnastics, swimming and basketball.  I think your view from the TV will be better than the one I'll have, but the experience is hopefully going to be great.  Nixes the Pigroast, unfortunately.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

fuzzybear

Doc, If you get a chance watch the womans 63kg wrestling, my sister-in-law is the top wrestler and this is her 2nd Olympic bid for gold. Her name is Martine Dugrenier from Quebec.
  It is definatly worth the show to watch her. She has a VERY impressive win record. including a record 3 consecutive world championships.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

doctorb

Will do!  I didn't know mud wrestling was an Olympic sport!!! :D :D

Just kidding!.  I'll check the schedule.

Magicman

doctorb, although actually "seeing" is important, it will never overshadow the experience of being there.  There is just no way to describe it.

The only regret that I will always have about the 1996 Olympics was that I found out after we got to Atlanta that I could have carried the torch across some desolate places of the US.  I just never realized beforehand that the opportunity existed.

Misfit

I have always been more of a fan of the winter olympics. But any opportunity to bring so many countries together peacefully, with a minimum of political bovine fertilizer involved is good in my books too. JMHO.....
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

clww

We get excited each time the Olympics happens, mostly because my wife was on the '72 US team.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

What was your wife's sport?

Patty

Good morning Doc! Were you wearing your FF hat so we could spot you in the crowd?! Have fun over there!!!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Magicman

Quote from: clww on July 02, 2012, 07:47:43 PM
mostly because my wife was on the '72 US team. 

'72 was 40 years ago, and your age shows you to be 44............   ???

petefrom bearswamp

Did watch the woman's football team come from 2 goals back to win 4-2.
Great comeback.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

clww

Quote from: Magicman on July 28, 2012, 07:59:52 AM
Quote from: clww on July 02, 2012, 07:47:43 PM
mostly because my wife was on the '72 US team. 

'72 was 40 years ago, and your age shows you to be 44............   ???
MM,
My age is 44; the Mrs. is the older of us.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

No. The FF hat was not worn during the opening cerimonies.  It could well make a few appearances at the Games, however.

bugdust

For some reason I'm always drawn to the Women's Vollyball ... I think it's their great abilities they show ...         I think ..   :o :o :o

All kidding aside, I'm always amazed at the dedication, hard-work, and tremendous pride shown by all competitor's. Congrads to all members, regardless of the country they represent.

GO USA!
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Jeff

I thought the opening Ceremonies were outstanding. I recorded them, and then watched them in the wee hours this morning so I could blow through the commercials and non-sensual network stuff. I'll watch them again. I've got to think, that Doctorb has some memories that will last the rest of his live from that.

If you didn't watch it you really missed out. :)  London and the entire United Kingdom should be very proud.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Just rabbit ear TV here and CBC is a poor signal, as is CTV. That being said, won't matter after the 31 because they are cutting analog to CBC and no replacement tower for our area. Won't be buying satellite, no cable this far out. Won't be home for two weeks, but might get a glimpse at the Soo. You know years ago it seemed the old analog was a lot stronger signal and every station had the Olympics on at various times. Of course we only got 4 networks and the big three from the US were on one station, they just picked and chose which program aired from each network.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Doc,

Had any fish & chips yet?  I am an avid Olympics fan, so I hope that you will share your experience liberally.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

Yes, really good fish &chips yesterday and a wonderful dinner in our neighborhood pub.  We have taken the weekend to see London a bit.  Windsor Castle yesterday with a very brief sighting of the men's cycling race.  Man, can they fly by!  Today we're going to the British Museum, which is where the spoils of what the British empire brought back from across the world is displayed.  Also, the British library, where such minor documents like the Magna Carta are on display, along with some original Beatle lyrics!  So today is a British history lesson!

Oh, let me bring you in on a little secret.  Many of you might place me in the stereotype of the rich doctor vacationing at the Olympics.  It's understandable.  But why and how am I really here?  It's not what you know or how much $ you make.  My best friend on this planet, a childhood friend, is the head director for the Olympics for NBC.  So it's definitely WHO you know that counts.  Both of us laugh in seeing what we've become.

So tonight my family and I will tour the NBC studios for production of the Olympic telecast.  I have seen him do golf, football, the Today Show, and many other productions.  My family has never seen it.  The magnitude of what they have to put together is overwhelming and should be fascinating.  We see one event per day for the next 5 days starting tomorrow.

WDH

I think that NBC does a great job on the Olympic broadcasts, so tell your friend that he has done good.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!