iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cant Hooks

Started by steamsawyer, June 25, 2012, 09:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamsawyer

I was reading David's post about his recent injury. His injury looks painfull and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Now I am not trying to be a smart ellic or anything like that but what I am wondering is if someone can explain what makes the Logrite cant hook superior to what has been acceptable for the last couple hundred years. I don't own a Logrite and I have had no personal experience with one or even seen one in real life. I just wonder what makes them better. I am hoping someone can explain the science or physics behind the difference in them. Maybe you guys can provoke me into buying one since most everything I do own comes from the first part of the last century.

I would really like to try a Logrite some day. In most cases it is hard to part a hard working man from his money, so I know I can trust you guys to know what you are talking about.

Here is what I use... The five foot one was my grandfathers'

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

beenthere

There is clearly a difference with the shape of the hook and how it interacts with the wood. A very noticable difference the first time a LogRite is used.
I was a believer in the wood-handled hooks, until the first time I used a LogRite.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Alan, the LOGRITE I have IS more like a hook. It is in the shape of a hook.
The 'ol woody I was using, is not really a hook. It is more of a cone shape than a hook.  I'd send a pic, but it's to late to go back to the mill now.

The cone shape is not as sharp as the LOGRITE.

iF anyone has ever rolled a BIG CEDAR log with a cant hook, it's sometimes a pain in the leg  :D to get the point into the Cedar bark, especially with the old wooden handle tools.

The Logrite hooks first time every time in a Cedar......I was just to lazy to go get it......10 foot away. I'll use it next time!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Nice assortment of cant hooks you have there!

I like the debarking spud too.

I've been looking for one for about two years!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

I used the wooden cant hooks for years.  You had to sorta slam the swinging hook into the log to get it to bite good.  Otherwise, it would just slide up the log.  With the logrite, when you place the swinging hook against the log, the hook point and the angle are different to the point that the hook point just bites down into the wood without sliding up the log.  You do not have to slam the hook to get it to bite.

It is an amazing difference.  Everybody says it.  You have heard it.  It is true.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

After I got my Logrites, I retired three non-Logrites.  I will admit that I did have one old pipe handled cant hook that was very good.  The hook was arched properly.

Retired.  The pipe handled cant hook in the center was arched properly.  I do still use the bottom peavey.

All of these are arched properly. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawman

Once you have used a logrite,i don't think you will ever go back to the older ones.
When I bought my first logrite peavey my father who was in his mid 70 s at the time, said that there couldn't be that much difference between the logrite and his old reliables.  But I noticed that after a couple of days sawing, he started grabbing the logrite over his old wooden handled hooks that had been around for a couple of generations. Fast forward a few years and I had to buy a 2nd logrite , because pop would not let the other one away from the mill. Dad just turned 80 last month, and he is still using the blue handled logrite.

LOGRITE   RULES
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

steamsawyer

Thanks for the input everyone. This answers my questions.

I can see a noticeable difference in the configuration of the hook now that you mention it. I don't seem to have a problem hooking any of mine but there have been times when I had to wiggle it to get it loose from digging in too deep. I never see anything but soft pine... No hardwood around here.

I pulled a boo boo the other day. I went to receede the bunks and roll the cant over backwards but didn't realize part of the log was still rounded on the back side. It rolled back then, as if in slow motion, slid off the front of the carriage and fell on the ground. I was the only one on that side of the mill an no one else in the way so no injuries. It scared some people but it just irritated me because I let it happen. There are always little setbacks and everything we do is dangerous so please... Work and play safe...

Thanks,

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

redbeard

I use my 60" logrite all the time havent grabbed the wood handled ones in a long time. Its so light you can use it one handed.  I did the same thing last wknd Alan.  I Had a short 5' three sided cant roll off the chain turner and on to the ground customer witnessed the mis hap and it really made me aware of what could have happened. Saftey First!

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

bandmiller2

Alan,I use boath,yes Logrite is a good product but I am not giving up my old peavey with the louieville slugger handle.Their swinging hook is a little bigger than most and does bite reliably. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I have my dads old wood handle cant hook he had since I was a wee lad .It finally gave up the ghost and I made a new handle from a green cut shag bark hickory sapling a few year back .

There's a trick to using those things and not stabbing your shin .You have to sink the hook in real good before you roll that log .

york

Alan,i have been on this forum for about four years now,have read a lot of hype about the Logrite cant hook and said to myself what do these guys know?
   Well,this spring i got the mill special and love it-order that one and give it a try-it is a work of art...
albert
Albert

Magicman

We could give these a try.   :o

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Well yeah ash makes a pretty strong handle too .Not as tough as hickory but tough enough you'd about have to be a gorrilla to break it .

NWP

I ordered a Logrite yesterday.  If anyone is interested in getting one, click on the special offer link at the top of the forum page.  Save some $$.  I had been putting it off until I saw that offer.  About $101 after shipping.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Magicman

That offer almost makes me wish that I didn't have three already.   ;D

qbilder

I recently bought a 60" Logrite. It's noticeably better than any other cant hook I have ever used. I was a bit skeptical as I didn't think there's any way one hook could be that much better than another. But it's true. They're that much better.         
God bless our troops

Tree Feller

I have a 48" Logrite and a 48" wooden-handled can't hook that came with my mill. There is no comparing the two. The Logrite hooks first time every time.

My three-year-old grandson likes it, too.   ;D

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

beenthere

What did he do wrong to have to wear that hat?  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Careful beenthere. Looks like he just about to hit you for making fun of his hat. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

That is a nice combination Tree Feller.  A willing sawhand, Logrite, ERC, SYP, water, and a Stihl chainsaw.  Bring it on. 

sigidi

I dont have myself a logrite, but couldn't get hold of one down here for ages and ended up makin one when I first started out- left it on a jobsite once, thought I'd get another made up. It wasnt until I got the second one made, did I realise how lucky I was with the geometry of the first hook - my first hook bites every time too, every once in a while I touch up the point of the hook but otherwise its a great hook.
Always willing to help - Allan

bandmiller2

I have always wanted to try, but never got around to puting a light spring on the swinging arm and a stop so it would stop about 4" from the handle.You could use it like a ratchet push it into the log turn and it would reset itself reguardless of position.Its so simple but I'am sure its been tried.Have you folks at Logrite tried it.??? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tam-i-am

Quote from: sigidi on June 27, 2012, 05:13:51 AM
I dont have myself a logrite, but couldn't get hold of one down here for ages and ended up makin one when I first started out- left it on a jobsite once, thought I'd get another made up. It wasnt until I got the second one made, did I realise how lucky I was with the geometry of the first hook - my first hook bites every time too, every once in a while I touch up the point of the hook but otherwise its a great hook.

You can get a genuine Logrite from Cannings Outdoor Power and Equipment in Mount Waverly, VIC.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Tam-i-am

Wow, all of you explained that very nicely!

I noticed that no one mentioned the aluminum handle.  The aluminum is an improvement over the wood as it is very strong and lighter than the wood handles.
Another difference is the aluminum will yield or bend rather than snap like a wood handle will should it be worked past its limits.   And unlike a wooden handle that will degrade over time as it dries or gets wet, the aluminum handle will truly be around to pass down to your great great grandchildren. ;D
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

DanG

Good point Tammy.  I was about to mention that as my favorite feature of the Logrite tools.  My old wood-handled hooks worked just fine, but it is the durability of these blue things that sets them apart.  Maybe I was just lucky with the old ones, because the geometry on them is very close to the same as my Logrite.  I see by all the pics that that isn't always the case.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Steamenginesmitty

Quote from: steamsawyer on June 25, 2012, 09:45:20 PM

Alan

Alan,
Those new fancy hooks aren't historically accurate or period correct for the mill..................
splitwood_smiley

Dan_Shade

All it takes to make a believer out of logrite cant hooks is to use one.

I've got a pile of them, and I don't buy junk.

My favorite is a 60" peavey, because I can stick it in the ground and not have to bend over to pick it up.

When I do a job for someone new, and they use one of my logrite cant hooks, they always comment on how well they work.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

stavebuyer

All I can add to what's already been said is that not only will the Log-Rite pay for itself in effeciency and durability; it's one of the few top of the line tools that even the smallest operation can justify.

WH_Conley

They are also free.

I have saved enough money replacing handles over the last few years that both of my mill specials have not cost me one cent, even put money in my pocket. See, Logrite is even giving away money.
Bill

Magicman

I got one at last year's Pig Roast that was free.

"Gotta Lovit" !!!   :)

Ga Mtn Man

I'm hoping this year they're giving away a Fetching Arch. ;D

How does the peavy compare to the cant hook when turning logs?  I have the cant hook.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

Paul, I traded that peavey for a cant hook.  For my use, cant hooks grip the log better and are more useful.  I regularly use three Logrite cant hooks and one  smiley_ignore  peavey.

Thank You Sponsors!