iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyotes and dogs.

Started by Kansas, June 25, 2012, 02:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

On Sunday, I inherited a redbone dog. Never heard of them before. Good friend of mine going through a divorce was moving, and could not take it with her. Been kicking around the idea of getting a dog anyway, and decided, why not. Its an older dog, guessing around 12-13.

This morning bout 5:30 I looked out my window and it was in a confrontation with 3 coyotes. They were about 20 ft apart, and 20 ft from my window over the computer. I grabbed the rifle and went to the deck. I guessed wrong and they went a different direction. Figured they would break for the timber; instead they went to the back side of the house, then up the hill. I never got a chance for a shot. When I was a kid, we had farm dogs, and lots of coyotes. Never really had a problem, other than the coyotes liked to tease the dogs.

Then mange hit and the coyote population got down to near none. Now they are back. I really don't want anything to happen to this dog. Any of you out in the country people have trouble with coyotes and farm dogs? Its a pretty good sized dog, but 3 against 1 isn't good odds. I don't know if the coyotes meant to harm it, or just wanted to check it out, but I didn't like how things looked.

clww

Redbones are used here in VA for hunting both coons and bear. They're fairly common along with Walkers, Blueticks, and Plotts.
As for coyotes vs dog encounters, I can't comment. We are getting more coyotes in VA each year.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cypressstump

They probably meant to check him out for dinner, permanently. The coyotes will gang up on a dog and tear them to pieces.  If the coyotes have been around that area awhile, they were more than likely hesitant to move on the Redbone, for one, the Redbone was new to the area.  Usually a dog  with a hunting heritage will despise the coyotes with a vengeance. On the other hand, being your new dog is new to the area, he may have been made to feel the stranger in other's territory.

I'd plan to whack a few Yotes if I were you. If the coyotes are that prevalent there, I'd even set up and hunt them every once in a while. That redbone can hang in there on his own dog to dog, it's the packs that are to be reckoned with.

BTW- I love the Blueticks,Redbones,Plotts, that line of hounds. They make fine loyal dogs. Like to hunt too.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Kansas

I like this dog. Haven't been able to coax it in the house yet, but might bring him anyway tonight. He likes the outdoors and my lake too much.

Figure if I can wing or kill a few yotes, that should end the problem. Up till now, just enjoyed the wildlife out here. And loved them singing at night. Time to change directions a bit.

SwampDonkey

Hunting one time by the Clearwater stream, we made camp in an abandoned logging camp site as our usual spot for bird hunting. Just a ways to the west was a jump DNR dropped off road kill at. The coyotes where thick around the dump. We had hunting dogs, cocker spanials in the back of the truck with a topper. The dang dogs were talking back and forth with the coyotes most of the night until grandfather went with a shot gun and fired in the air to shut everyone up.  ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kansas

When I was 17 or so, out at the farm, the coyotes would yip at the dogs, a Collie and a Brittany. They would creep down to the farm, dogs would chase them back away. Then the coyotes would chase them back to the farm. One day I was feeding cattle and watching. The dogs got bored with it. This one coyote came down, sneaking away, terraced after terrace. He got to the last terrace, then launched himself straight up. There had to be a good 2 feet between his hind legs and the ground, his body stretched out straight up. The dogs went nuts. He just ran back to his companions. Wish I would have had a video of that.

fuzzybear

How do you feel about chaining him on a run? That's what I do in the bush to give the dogs a chance against wolves. You have to give him as large a house and opening into the house that he can just slip into, but it has to be longer than normal. Also make sure the cable for the run is attached into the back of the dogs house and the chain goes all the way in with him.
  No coyote/wolf will dare to enter after him, it leaves them way to vulnerable to being bit. Just make sure his chain goes ALL the way in. They will try to drag him out by it if they can.  I've left dogs at camp while cutting and come back to 6-8 wolves all flustered because they thought they had an easy meal.  Just give him a place where he can stand his ground and escape to. they will leave him alone after a few times.
Hope this helps.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Kansas

I have been trying to get him to come in the house at nights. Can't get it done. Guess I could put the leash on she gave me and make him, but he wants to spend his time outside. Bout scared me to death this morning when I walked out on the deck and he was laying looking like he was dead. He is close to deaf. After yelling didn't work, clapping my hands did. I haven't seen the coyotes since I walked out with a gun. He has the lake to swim in, he seems to have settled in, I got guns locked and loaded if they show back up. He has his favorite spots to lay in, and that does not include the igloo type dog house she left. I guess at 12 or 13 years old, what happens, happens. Dunno how many that is in people years, but guess he knows what he wants by now.

ely

seen two coyotes kill 5 out of seven dogs, dogs went from great dane down to a chihuahua, they were the only two that made it.

coyotes will get up on the dogs backs and chew holes in them while others clip at their throats. not a good match for a coyote. best help him out with the firearm.

SwampDonkey

Thing you have to remember with those wild coyotes is they have had lots of practice at survival. So they are well trained at killing what they want to. Just a smaller wolf.

It's still seems odd though, because with all the coyotes around here, only here of one or two on the news a year being a nuisance province wide. Of course not all the troubles are reported to media. But I've lived here a long time and never see any trouble around here. I don't think we had them when I was a kid because there was sheep farms then and all I heard of bothering them was bear. I have seen a lot of bears this summer, way more than coyotes.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Axe Handle Hound

In a 1 on 1 fight a good sized redbone may do okay, but 3 on 1 is a death sentence.  I have nothing personal against coyotes, but if I were in your situation I'd even the odds a bit. 

Chuck White

The Red Bone is a very nice dog!

They'll usually stand their ground in a confrontation.

That's what the two hounds were in the movie "Where the Red Fern Grows".

That's a really good family movie, albeit a tear-jerker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandhills

We have plenty of coyotes around here but never had any trouble with them bothering the dogs, still I think I would also keep a gun handy.  My bil and I were setting out opening morning of deer season on opposite ends of a field a few years back, can't remember the number for sure but watched at least 6 of them gang up on a doe across the field from us, two 30 06s changed their dinner plans in a hurry, but they were definitely serious up to that point.

Raider Bill

Sounds like a good excuse to purchase a nice long range scoped yote rifle and help out mans best friend some.
KABOOOM!

Animal lover: What did you feel when you shot that cute poor defenseless coyote?

Kansas: Recoil
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

And some of these fellas on here were worried they had misplaced ya between Fl and TN. :D :D

Jeff

My Sister posted this youtube video today.  Pretty relaxed coyote surveying Sophie.

http://youtu.be/fviInxIbkgM
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Tonight on PBS is a Nature episode on the 'coywolf', around here we have always called then coydogs. Our coyotes are not at all like those shows on western desert coyotes produced by Walt Disney.

DDDfarmer

In a even weight match between a dog and a coyote I would say the coyote would win 9 out of 10.  Rarely its an even match tho.... many times one will come out as bait to be chased into the trap, two or more waiting.  Lots of dogs around the area come up missing every year. 

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 07, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
Sounds like a good excuse to purchase a nice long range scoped yote rifle and help out mans best friend some.
KABOOOM!

Animal lover: What did you feel when you shot that cute poor defenseless coyote?

Kansas: Recoil

Felt the recoil many times.. ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Yeah, lots around here. I see tracks on the woodlot all winter. Lots of rabbits up there in the plantations. I think I usually see about 3 sets of coyote tracks. Only ran into a couple in sight up there, took a photo of one. Lots of foxes around here to. Been a fox traveling up and down the road late at night, easier walk'n. :D

Chuck White

I like that Animal Lover vs Raider Bill.   smiley_roller   :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WmFritz

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 22, 2014, 05:52:27 AM
Tonight on PBS is a Nature episode on the 'coywolf', around here we have always called then coydogs. Our coyotes are not at all like those shows on western desert coyotes produced by Walt Disney.

You just started WWIII SD. Momma and I are at the cabin with one TV and she's got  American Idol on.    :embarassed:
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

ancjr

Watched it myself.  Very interesting!  Never seen any on my own property, but I hear them all the time.

When I was a kid, I'd get kittens, puppies and none ever lasted much longer than a week until we'd find them reduced to a pile of bones and fur.

chain

When coyotes are raising their pups beware. They'll pile into much larger dogs and possibly have another 'yote  to help out. I've shot at least three coyotes attacking my dogs, two of those attacks from mother 'yotes. I wouldn't think about not carrying a gun when out with a dog, believe our last little beagle got caught by coyotes.

gfadvm

Where I live our coyotes have become 'urbanized'. They dig into peoples yards and kill/eat their small dogs. They don't come to a predator call so I resorted to snares. I snared 21 coyotes in 2 years on my place. It is very easy to do. Coyotes must also prey on red foxes as we never saw a fox until after I declared war on the coyotes. Now we see foxes almost daily. And they are harmless (unless you have chickens!)

WmFritz

Quote from: ancjr on January 22, 2014, 09:24:44 PM
Watched it myself.  Very interesting! 

OK... since I got overruled on the television tonight, I'm curious about the term coywolf  ??? ???  Has to be a wolf/coyote mix?

I had a discussion with a DNR officer last year about wolf's in the LP that had found their way south from the UP. He told me that they know the wolves were cross breeding with the coyote population. Since wolves are protected, I wondered  what happens if you shoot a yote and turns out it's hybrid. He replied that it practically takes a wildlife biologist to tell the difference and if it looked like a coyote, shoot it and no worries.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!