iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need to get my saw to start easier.... Getting old

Started by shinnlinger, June 24, 2012, 08:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Well finally rebuilt the carb on another 041 and hung a 24 inch bar on it,  Beastly looking saw but man am I sore from cranking on it to get it going and making adjustments.  When I do it get it going it runs and cuts well but she is no easy start, hot or cold.  Will throw a new plug in to see what happens.  Any pointers besides ibuprofen?  I am no pro at adjusting carbs either so that might have something to do with it.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

More times than not starting troubles can be directly related to fuel delivery. On that subject of fuel delivery more times than not to the carb.

A warm saw as a general rule will fire within two pulls. More times than not the first one ----if it's getting fuel.

Try this on a cold start ,give it 6 or 8 tugs .If it doesn't putt give it a little squirt from a sqeeze bottle .If it putt putts then  you are not pumping fuel for whatever reason .

shinnlinger

THanks AL,

The fuel lines/filter are suspect as the saw is 30+ years old and was found partially disassembled in a dumpster a few years ago.  All I have done is rebuild the carb to this point.  Will probably just pick up a new pickup line and filter.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

T Welsh

shinnlinger, Dont forget the impluse line from crankcase to carb. Like you said, 30 years old it could have a hair line crack in it and its all that it takes. sounds like fuel delivery like AL said. try giving it a little more low idle and see if that doesn't help. but yes,by all means give her a tune up and hoses and a filter and go from there. Tim

Al_Smith

Every saw kind of develops a personality .I have for example an S-25 Poulan I bought in 1975 that will start on 4 pulls if it's sat six months .Conversely  I have a souped up 038 Magnum that takes 10 on a cold start  if it was ran just yesterday .The thing runs like a scalded ape once you get it going and will one pull start all day there after .

There's probabley a logical explaination for that but I have no idea what it is . ???

T Welsh

AL, I,m jealous that you have this many toys that you can draw a conclusion to a problem, (Your knowledge our benefit)  ;). Tim

Al_Smith

'taint no big deal. I've been somewhat of a dumpster diver all my life and old habits die hard. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!