iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer RS2 resaw attachment

Started by John_Haylow, June 24, 2012, 12:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Haylow

I'm thinking of purchasing the RS2 attachment for my LT40 and would like to hear what people have to say about them.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

customsawyer

I am not sure if mine is the RS2. Mine mounts to the mill and the power feed wires on the mill hook up to the resaw and power the feed belt. It works pretty well and have used it many times. It will not compare to a actual resaw but it will serve the purpose on a small scale.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

RMay

I got one to make siding & it paid for it self on one job. It works good if you saw your lumber and resaw it within a day or two.
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

John_Haylow

Quote from: RMay on June 24, 2012, 10:49:02 PM
I got one to make siding & it paid for it self on one job. It works good if you saw your lumber and resaw it within a day or two.

I wonder if I could get you elaborate a little on resawing within a day or two. Does it not work as well with dry lumber or cants?

Thanks,
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

RMay

If the lumber has dryed with a cup or worped . The siding will be off.
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

4x4American

looking at getting into one of these resaw attachments possibly.  The pallet shop down road has a decent price on buying stringers cut to length from me and they always pay within a week or so.  Problem is, it's taking too long for me to cut them out to make it worth it.  My idea- after I cut a truckload of grade lumber, I take all the pallet cants that I sawed down to, and cut them to length, then run them through the resaw to make the stringers.  When I'm doing the stringers, I can get my neighbor or my friend to come in on a saturday to help speed things along.  I was also considering a Baker A Model or the WM HR130.  But it's a much heftier investment, but, I have steady work for pallet parts from two different local pallet shops, so I believe it would pay for itself.  Also, I could run my slabs through edger and then resaw to reclaim a board.  I don't usually leave much meat in my slabs though, as I only have to open a 3" x 42" face to get a usable stringer
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

Dug ;D Check out the arky resaw. It takes 2 people to make it sing but the resaw attachment probably does too. The thing that would have to be changed is the hold down. The Arky Resaw uses featherboards, which I find to be a pain. If you nade a weighted or tensioned wheel like a resaw has, I think it would work really well. Maybe worth a shot before you sink money into anything else.
Too many irons in the fire

Percy

I have owned  the old ladder style resaw attachment from WM as well as the newer belt style one. MY preference was the older ladder type. Regardless, the newer belt type works well but the board  hold down is a tad wimpy so be prepared to mod a little unless they have improved it already. Also longer stuff will need support rollers at both ends to keep things accurate unless you wanna hold on to the board till it balances out on the belt(unproductive). I have built rollers at the correct height  for infeed and out feed that make 16 footers a breeze.  We split 18,000 bdft of 2x6 into 1x6 in a 9 hour shift using this contraption....I wouldnt be scared of it but it may need a little loving to get it to do whatever you want it to....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

Wow 18,000 bdft in a shift, that's the kind of production I'm looking for! 

For the most part, I'll be sending through 42" cants.  I would probably just set a roller table or a treadmill to the side of it so my tail man can pass them back to me.  What I like about the attachment, is that it also gives me the possibility to cut shingles and clapboards.  What I don't like about the attachment is having to spend the time to set it up and then take it apart. 

I think it's a good, less expensive (compared to an HR 130 or Baker A model) way to get a feel for how a resaw will aid my operation.  But...I'm not sure I want to gear up for sawing pallet stock.  It's steady work and the log quality don't matter are the two pluses it has.  If I could make

I think that Arky Resaw would be better suited for long stuff, not necessarily 42" cants.  I wouldn't want to be that close to the blade and then have to feed it too!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Percy,

Were you resawing that many 1x6s because you had 2x6s and needed 1x6s or is it because it's faster to saw out 2x6 and then split into 1x6?
Boy, back in my day..

killamplanes

I am kinda in the same boat. I do alot of pallet stock I just cut like 5/8 thick flitches  untill I get square cant do the math split it couple times roll it over cut 5-6 cants wide get alot of boards per cut. Then dead stack and cut to 40in or whatever length. Many downfalls to this but without a gang saw lead by a big chopsaw, i don't now much better way. But alot of the automated pallet machines won't except chainsaw spurs on end of boards.  You will learn in the pallet business there's always another piece of machinery to make the job easier and faster but there's a price. And in pallets you sometimes have to have sharp teeth to pick the meat of the bone. I know, I go from tree to pallet, semi load a week no automated machines. Hard work. But not complaining been good to me and 2 employees running air nailers.  I realize it's just a side gig for the grade and lower end logs. Just remember time is money, and money is important.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

4x4American

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRc3_CHjdAA

I seen this A model with the turnarounds from Baker, and it would be perfect...but it's a one job machine.  They do have one that can do beveled stuff and whatever but then the price tag goes right up.  The guy who buys the stringers says that he uses 6,000 of them a week.  I can't come close to that many right now.  I delivered them a couple pallets of stringers yesterday and the manager said I came just at the right time cause they were just about out of stringers.  If I were to get a machine like this, I would think I might be more apt to buy pallet logs and just crank out production.  It's a hard decision. 

On Monday I am going to go meet with a manager of a concentration yard for a big sawmill that I have never bought from before,  We are going to talk numbers.  If their numbers aren't too high, and I can find a trucker to backhaul the logs to me, I should be able to get graded/scaled logs without worrying about being snookered or haggled on the price.  If that's the case, I will strive for more of a grade type setup, and keep it simple with the resaw, prolly go for the attachment.  But if they want ridiculous prices for their logs, and finding a trucker is hard, I will keep looking more into a machine like that Baker, as pallet logs are fairly easy to buy.  Plus, the pallet guy told me that if logs were my issue, he would send me his logs, and I could saw for him pretty near full time.  It's just a matter of do I want to do that and will I make money at it. 

Boy, back in my day..

paul case

4X4,
I make a lot of pallet cut stock, mainly stringers now.
I wouldn't buy a big ticket item to make only pallet stock with as I have been left holding a bunch of pallet material, buyer went bankrupt, and had to chop it again for less money. Not good.
My stringer buyer wants them to be 1 1/4 inch which is about the same as our 4/4 grade lumber. I can sell RO and WO fas and #1com for more than the stringers bring so we have been grading and seperating just as we edge. So some comes out as 3.5''wide for stringers and some come out as wide as possible for the better grades. The 3.5'' gets chopped by a dewalt 14'' metal cuttoff saw with a erwin 12'' $40 lowes wood blade. We arent settting the world on fire, but we make serveral products to recover the most $ per bdft.

I know that a resaw and chopsaw can cut stringers and deck boards faster than cutting them on the mill then cutting to length. I dont think you can do that with one person. It will take 2 to keep the thing fed. If one of them is the sawyer or keeps the mill from sawing logs it wont up your production that much.

We make as many ties as we can. Some logs wont produce that any grade and those sides make a lot of stringers. We still get some logs that wont make a tie and they get cut down into stringers on the mill as well.

IMO, if you add 1 man to your operation to do your edging(I cant remember if you have an edger?) and cut your stringers to length with a cheap cutoff saw like mine he will be able to keep up most of the time. I did this and he was offbearing some too. I had a 60yo man edging and choppin a while and he kept right up.

We try to make sure that we make a sellable product at each step at my mill. Adding equipment at any price will not make extra production without someone running it.

Yes you can run a lot of bdft through an resaw in a day. Not without help.

My 2 cents worth.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Percy

I know my figures sound a little exaggerated but they are not. We had to fill 3 -20 foot containers with cedar 1 x 6 x 12 foot. Approx 54,000 bdft. Took us 3 days. 18,000 per day. Of course we already had the 2x6 cut. Cutting with a resaw is so much faster than making them 1 at a time on a mill. If you are effecient at feeding and tailing, its like 1 long board. No giging back. At 1 foot per second feed rate(easy), splitting a 2x6 is 1 board foot per second. x 60 seconds = 60 bdft per miniute. x 60 miniutes =3600 bdft per hour. If the resaw didnt have  to stop for allsorts of things, 3600 bdft X 9 hours =32,400 bdft. We only managed 18,000 in that shift. With banding and shoveling all the sawdust that ends up in one spot, and it builds up fast. Keeping the feed guy supplied and clearing out finished product from tail guy,... and as Paul said, the mill is not producing anything, only remanufacturing, and you need people.....for short stuff, this attachment would work great IMO. Attach a piece of malamine(slippery plywood??) right beside the resaw attachment on the sawbunks and you have a low buck return if your pieces require more than one pass. The resaw sits high enough for this. You will be surprised ...once you get your ducks in a row....

Percy

killamplanes

But other than the loss of kerf. I would think a 5 blade gang saw or somethin would be the cats meeooww. For throwing cants threw and comes out the other end in finish product. My neighboring mill has a circle followed by chop saw then gang it's pretty slick. Alot of operating cost but a production machine of a setup..
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Percy

Quote from: killamplanes on October 01, 2016, 04:13:03 PM
But other than the loss of kerf. I would think a 5 blade gang saw or somethin would be the cats meeooww. For throwing cants threw and comes out the other end in finish product. My neighboring mill has a circle followed by chop saw then gang it's pretty slick. Alot of operating cost but a production machine of a setup..
A 5 head band resaw would be awesome. You would increase production on the sawmill as well . Id love to have that for our fencing market but for me, its too seasonal. A pallet guy with a more steady market might see things differntly.

4x4American

Thanks Paul, that is great advice, and I think you're right.

Percy, now you make 18,000 sound like it's a small number  :D   So I guess a sawdust handling system could pay for itself in a hurry?  Wood Mizer makes a sawdust conveyor thing, it's like $4k.

I think that the attachment could be a good, money making investment.  I like that it is so versatile, and it's not going to depreciate that much in value if I take good care of it (like not dropping it from Mars onto my sawmill bed lol)

Now that Kplanes mentioned it, the pallet guy does have a Wood Mizer 4 or 5 head resaw that needs work that he'd be willing to sell to me.  He also has a sawdust blower system, roller tables, big chop saws, etc.  He has bought out other sawmills.  I am sure he would give me a good deal on them.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

That 5 head resaw could potentially help my grade sawing production too, except for the fact that it don't see grade and the pith is going to be in there....hmmm...
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on October 01, 2016, 06:15:37 PM
Percy, now you make 18,000 sound like it's a small number  :D   So I guess a sawdust handling system could pay for itself in a hurry?  Wood Mizer makes a sawdust conveyor thing, it's like $4k.

I have 2, 220v 2hp electric blowers for sawdust removal that work great. 1 for each mill. They cost about $250 or so new from grizzly.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

4x4American

Thanks Paul, that's what I'm gonna look into.  I was laughing when I read how the woodmizer conveyors were supposedly inexpensive.  I was thinking, well dang, I'm pretty sure a blower setup would be cheaper.  But maybe not in an industrial type application.  Oh and by the way, yes I do have an edger, a Cook's AE4P.  I need to get that thing under cover and then hook it up to sawdust handling somehow.  It fills up with sawdust underneath it fast and then will get into the chains and sprockets and starting hopping them.  The pallet guy has a big cyclone with all the piping and everything, he is willing to sell it to me but wants me to name my price, and I have no idea what a fair price would be.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: paul case on October 01, 2016, 07:37:58 PM

I have 2, 220v 2hp electric blowers for sawdust removal that work great. 1 for each mill. They cost about $250 or so new from grizzly.

PC

What do they have them under, I can only find sawdust collectors
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on October 01, 2016, 09:19:00 PM
Quote from: paul case on October 01, 2016, 07:37:58 PM

PC

What do they have them under, I can only find sawdust collectors

I'd go with Paul's suggestion if I were you. 250 bucks is no more costly than a outta control night at the local watering hole. See how it works for you. Try building a plywood box under your edger and stick a blower hose on it as well or get a second one for it if one don't have enuff hormones. That's like 500 bucks plus hoses and you are in biddness. Or offer the guy with the blower equipment a little less than 500 cause we know Paul's suggestion will work as it has for him.
Anyhow that's my Ukrainian logic. 😄

4x4American

I think the first plan is to get that edger under cover.  I haven't had any luck finding the blower online, hoping they still make it.  The blower that the guy has down the road may be a 3 phase one, it is huge.  I like the grizzly idea one. 
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

4x4, I always use a push stick or the next piece of material to feed the Arky. Still got all muh finguhs ;)
Too many irons in the fire

paul case

4x4,

It is a sawdust collector. You just use the blower that comes with it and pipe it in and out . They have 2- 4'' inlets and 5'' outlet. I use 4'' black corrugated plastic flexible pipe for the part that hooks to the mill and It would work on the other end as well, but pvc probably is better.
This works well for us on the mills.
This has NOT worked out for us on the edger. There is simply too much big chunks of bark and wood to go through it. I currently have a small square hay bale elevator that has sheet metal sides on it  made into a v trough to haul away the debris from under the edger. I have to do some shoveling there frequently as well. The conveyor would be nice for that. I located a couple for $500 each in Kentucky :(

PC
pc

Kbeitz

A lot of people don't know that Woodstock International is part of Grizzly Tools.
They have more accessory's for the dust collectors then Grizzly has.

https://www.woodstockint.com/products/category/dust-collectors

https://www.woodstockint.com/products/category/dust-collection-accessories/fittings-and-connections

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Oh ok, the dust collectors I seen last night on Grizzlys page were all above the $1000 range, which was why I was looking for just the blower portion, I figured that'd be the most cheapest
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on October 02, 2016, 08:14:39 AM
Oh ok, the dust collectors I seen last night on Grizzlys page were all above the $1000 range, which was why I was looking for just the blower portion, I figured that'd be the most cheapest

They show up on the Cragslist all the time...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

Quote from: paul case on October 02, 2016, 05:33:28 AM
This has NOT worked out for us on the edger. There is simply too much big chunks of bark and wood to go through it. I currently have a small square hay bale elevator that has sheet metal sides on it  made into a v trough to haul away the debris from under the edger. I have to do some shoveling there frequently as well. The conveyor would be nice for that. I located a couple for $500 each in Kentucky :(

PC
Thanks for this information. Hadnt considered that. I was seriously thinking of using a blower for this purpose as well.....

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

killamplanes

Send me 2, if I can buy now pay later :D :D

customsawyer

If you use all plastic piping be sure to add some ground wire in a couple of places. The plastic and sawdust will create static and it could spark. Sparks and fine dust blowing through the air will be bad.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

4x4American

Quote from: customsawyer on October 02, 2016, 05:29:57 PM
If you use all plastic piping be sure to add some ground wire in a couple of places. The plastic and sawdust will create static and it could spark. Sparks and fine dust blowing through the air will be bad.

Thanks.

So..do you still have your resaw attachment?
Boy, back in my day..

DR_Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on October 02, 2016, 05:29:57 PM

I've been using PVC in both my wood working shop and barn for the sawmill for years and none of it is grounded and I've never had a shock or seen a spark.   My wood shop has PVC mounted on 3 of the 4 walls and connects to at least 7 different tools.   This is probably the most discussed topic related to dust collection on the web.   No one has EVER posted anything related to fires from using it.  Below is just one of many posts on the subject.

"PVC is commonly used in dust collection systems. Typically for longer runs you should use 6" or larger pipe, regardless of the material. If you're using PVC, the larger, less expensive pipe is commonly available as sewer drain pipe.
As of May 2015, there have been no known fires caused by a static discharge in a PVC pipe from a dust collection system."

http://woodworking.stackexchange.com/questions/1489/is-pvc-pipe-safe-to-use-for-a-dust-collection-system

Here's another good reference:

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/articles/dustExplosion.html
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Kbeitz

Cutting green wood I don't think we need to worry about dust explosions.
If your cutting dead dry wood that's another story...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

killamplanes

Long story short John if you go with a 5 blade gang edger you will find out very quickly the sawdust piles up quickly. The mill down the road has a bigger pile next to that than he does next to the circle mill with a 2 blade vertical edger on it. But he also has a stand alone debarker, it makes the other processes much cleaner.  See there's always one more piece of equipment, it's a mean cycle, a real income tax saver.. ;D

4x4American

:D :D :D  income tax saver thats good...

yea, idk at this point, I want to keep the pallet customer because it's good steady work, but I can't keep either of us happy at the pace I'm going.  I like the versatility of the attachment.  But, once I speak with a new-to-me concentration yard tomorrow I'll know more.  If they can supply me with tie logs, I dont think a resaw would help because I'm just taking 1.25" jacket boards and running those flitches through the edger at 3-1/2" and chop sawing them to length.  At that point the only thing to speed up my production is either another employee or a better method lol
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Quote from: 4x4American on October 02, 2016, 10:46:30 PM
  At that point the only thing to speed up my production is either another employee or a better method lol

I am saying it isnt one or the other it is one and then the other.

1 MAN and a bandmill wont cut wood fast enough to justify mor support equipment than you already have.

Get a good reliable helper with a good head on his shoulders and you can cut ties while he makes you money cutting pallet stringers from your side lumber!

PC
pc

4x4American

I think you're right, it's hard to find good help, but I'm gonna keep looking.  The guy who buys my slabwood was visiting the other day, he laughed and said I'd never find any good help around here...hopefully he's wrong!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I looked at the clock before and after I chopped some stringers today.  I was averaging about 140 stringers/hr.  That's just cutting them to length, not sawing them out of the log or edging.  Idk if that's good or bad but it feels like it takes way too long to make hardly any money. 
Boy, back in my day..

paul case

Thats probably about right.

My wife can chop 300 in about 2 hours. We get $.80 each so that's $240. There is about 350 bdft in a bundle. We pull off all the fas and 1com to sell at a flooring plant so all we make stringers out of we are actually making something that is only worth $.35 or less at the flooring plant into a product worth  more than $.60 bdft.  so by chopping them into stringers adds a value of $87.50 per bundle.

It only took about 2 hours to make $87.50? Actually better than that since a considerable amount of the lumber  would have only been worth a nickel(3b price) at the grade market.

Thats all hardwood. The guy I sell to doesnt want or take any pine.PC
pc

greglwood

This is an older post but I hoping I can get a little information. I just purchased the RS2 attachment for my LT40. I am curious as to how hard this is to hookup and install. I'm not really talking about the original install, when I want to use it and after I'm done. How heavy is it, is it a 2 or more man job to sit it on the bed. Are the wire that have to be hooked up quickly connected and disconnected. It is my understanding that you unhook one cable(s) and hook up the resaw's in it's place. Is this true?

DR_Buck

Hook up is a quick disconnect power connector.   Taking it off and on the mill is a two person effort or you need some way of lifting and maneuvering it.   I bought a harbor freight pickup truck mount swing out lift and mounted it on one of the vertical 6x6 barn post next to my mill and use it to lift and swing the resaw into place.   You could also use a fork lift by hanging the resaw with straps under the forks.

saltydogs

I'm planning on leaving my RS2 attached to my LT15 when i want to do traditional milling simply by removing the 4 bolt weight carriage.  At that point i can drive the head to the other side of the RS2 and off i go!
Epilog Helix 60 watt laser. raster engraving and vector cutting
Legacy Explorer CNC 2d/3d raster carving and vector cutting
Woodmizer LT15E10L sawmill w/ RS2 resaw attachment and power feed.
State of the art wood working shop!!!  Saltydog Woodworks @ fb

saltydogs

greglwood, you'll need to wire in the provided DC power plug and when you are finished with the resaw you just plug back into the power feed.  i'm not sure if that makes sense but its fairly simple really.  Too, just leave your resaw on your mill and then find a way to drive your mill over the resaw to continue using your mill traditionally.  At least that is how i approached it and it's only 4 bolts and lift off the hold down assembly.

saltydogs

Quote from: greglwood on March 26, 2017, 11:21:13 PM
This is an older post but I hoping I can get a little information. I just purchased the RS2 attachment for my LT40. I am curious as to how hard this is to hookup and install. I'm not really talking about the original install, when I want to use it and after I'm done. How heavy is it, is it a 2 or more man job to sit it on the bed. Are the wire that have to be hooked up quickly connected and disconnected. It is my understanding that you unhook one cable(s) and hook up the resaw's in it's place. Is this true?

The instructions to wire in the resaw are pretty good.  they are very intuitive and WM is good about labeling the wring and control box.  if you are gas with a DC battery, they'll provide you with an extension plug that you simply unplug when finished using the RS2.  Explore leaving the RS2 attached, otherwise it's a heafty 2 man lift with the mounting stand.

redbeard

Would like too welcome my good friend and Nieghbor Saltydogs to FF we have accomplished many projects together and looking forward to many more.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Hello "good friend" saltydogs, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I too look forward to seeing some of your future projects, but keep a sharp eye on that redbeard guy.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

greglwood

If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached? 

Also a slight different question? If one was to add a bed extension to the saw could the RS2 be attached to the bed extension and left on there?

DR_Buck

Quote from: greglwood on April 02, 2017, 12:20:47 AM
If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached? 

Also a slight different question? If one was to add a bed extension to the saw could the RS2 be attached to the bed extension and left on there?

The resaw mounts in the center of the bed.   You cannot saw with the resaw installed.

If you modified things and had an extension, you may be able to leave it installed.   I just question the logic in that.  It's not  that hard to take off and on if you have the right setup or help.

saltydogs

my RS2 does not leave my bed.  the RS2 takes up the first bed, and the other 3 7 foot sections are used for traditional milling.  its a true 2 purpose setup.  i resaw as much as i mill so remoing the RS2 doesnt' make any sense.  it's a super easy modification to mount the resaw to the first bed and use the remaining beds for your trad milling.  cheers.

saltydogs

Quote from: DR_Buck on April 03, 2017, 06:18:40 PM
If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached?  

The resaw mounts in the center of the bed.   You cannot saw with the resaw installed.

If you modified things and had an extension, you may be able to leave it installed.   I just question the logic in that.  It's not  that hard to take off and on if you have the right setup or help.
you can saw with the resaw attached.  it's an easy modification and makes life much easier.  far easier than lifting the rs2 on and off.  my mod vid is on youtube under our channel @ saltydogwoodworks on youtube.  check it out, true dual purpose sawmill in action!

saltydogs

If you leave the RS2 on the saw how much log length do you loose?  In other words whats the max log length with the RS2 left attached?  

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  

saltydogs

Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:30:38 PM

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  
btw.  you loose almost your entire ability to saw traditionally without the mod and the addition of a bed extension.  factory has you mounting the RS2 on the second bed.  i mounted mine on the first bed.  required drilling 2 holes in the bed is all.  easy day.  then the purchased 4 bed extension now allows me to trad mill logs up to 17 foot which is plenty long enough for our application.  we use the RS2 twice as much as the trad mill.  hope this makes sense and helps out.

DR_Buck

Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:33:25 PM
Quote from: saltydogs on March 05, 2018, 05:30:38 PM

Greglwood, you're all over it.  i did just as you described.  added a bed section that is dedicated to my RS2 and when i want to convert to trad milling, i simply unplug the resaw and drive the mill forward to the second bed section and start milling.  i don't remove my RS2, it's not hard but i like leaving it all assembled.  saltydogwoodworks on youtube to see a vid of the mod and my dust collection set up for the RS2.  
btw.  you loose almost your entire ability to saw traditionally without the mod and the addition of a bed extension.  factory has you mounting the RS2 on the second bed.  i mounted mine on the first bed.  required drilling 2 holes in the bed is all.  easy day.  then the purchased 4 bed extension now allows me to trad mill logs up to 17 foot which is plenty long enough for our application.  we use the RS2 twice as much as the trad mill.  hope this makes sense and helps out.

This solution although sounding great is only applicable to the LT 15 mills.   You can't do it with the RS2 on an LT40 or LT70.

Thank You Sponsors!