iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

De-bugging 6x12 syp cants 10-20' long

Started by jrkimroxie, June 23, 2012, 06:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrkimroxie

After having cut & stickered 75% of my house logs, I'm starting to see small holes appear. These are about the size of a #2 pencil lead, and some have sawdust being pushed straight up out of the hole. The stickers are 1"x2", and the stack is 9 wide and 8 high. Is there a chemical/technique to spray between the stickered logs, or will I need to unstack the logs & build a vat to dip them in ?   >:( >:( >:(
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

grweldon

It has been recommended to me to use borax in a solution sprayed on the lumber to keep the borers at bay.  I haven't cut any pine yet but I'm sure the process is the same.  I bought a 25 pound bucket of Timbor powder online and a hand sprayer for about $100.  Google "Timbor" and I believe you will find everything you need...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

slider

I think  WDH has found something cheaper than timbor that works as well.
al glenn

WDH

My brother runs an Ag chemical and fertilizer supply business.  He told me that Solubor and Beau-Ron D are both sodium borate formulations that are dissolvable powders that contain the same amount of elemental boron as Timbor, but at a much lower price.  These two are labeled as fertilizer supplements while Timbor has a pesticide label.  I figure that I am fertilizing the lumber while controlling powderpost beetles at the same time  :D.

I can get Solubor for about $1.00 per pound and mix 1 pound per gallon of water.  It takes a little over a gallon of spray per 100 BF, so the cost is minimal.  The real issue is the time that it takes to spray the green lumber.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!