iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thanks Jeff

Started by swampbuggy, June 23, 2012, 12:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampbuggy

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Jeff

You want to be very careful and check out what the local laws are pertaining to removal of deadhead timber in your state, and especially posting the proof here on the forum that you are doing so.  Depending on the state laws and regulations, you could be opening yourself up to a boat load of fees and fines and criminal charges of timber theft from the state.  I'm certainly not voicing an opinion, as I'd love to snag a bunch of those myself, just trying to give you a heads up that you may be participating in a very risky operation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

A little research on google actually brought me back to the Forestry Forum, where this link had already been posted.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?year=2008&id=103G.650
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

snowshoveler

My younger brother got a permit from natural resources here in Nova Scotia for recovering logs in a lake.
Got 3 tractor trailer loads from 1 lake.
Next lake he went to with a permit as well...the Conservation Officers arrested him and seized all his equipment.
Just about ruined him.
Lesson learned is one goverment permit might not be enough.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

LOGDOG

Yep, it's hardly worth it anymore. Even if you buy sinker logs or lumber from someone who didn't have a permit to pull the logs, you could have the law showing up at your door accusing you of purchasing stolen goods. Stolen from them ... the government. I have a friend who had that very thing happen. In fact, the guy he bought the logs from called me the other day to ask me to mill some more logs he had come into. I didn't even return his phone call.

Chuck White

I wouldn't think that you would have any problems with the law or anyone else if you sawed the logs for the guy if you had a contract signed by him, which stated the following:

Customer acknowledges ownership of the logs and/or has the authority to enter into this agreement on behalf of all interested parties.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bama20a

You know, This reminds me of an ol' saying.
If you think you can trust the Goverment,Just talk to an American Indian. ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

LOGDOG

I like that saying bama20a.  ;)

Chuck, in this particular case, these guys are well ..... not your finest type of citizen if you know what I mean. They and their crew are a pretty rough bunch who have been involved with a lot of illegal things. Stealing logs for them just goes on the list of other illegal, opportunistic things they're party to. I just don't want them in my life. Don't want to be near them. In my sawing contract, I have a Laborers and Mechanics Lien provision that prevents the moving of, sale of, or use of any of the lumber I mill until I receive payment and sign off on it. If the Government comes in and confiscates the wood, and the thugs that hire you are deadbeats who were counting on being able to sell the lumber in order to pay you, then what recourse would I have to get paid? This just isn't a particularly good situation. It's actually a pretty common theme with guys involved in the sinker log world. That's why I got out.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!