iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A needle in a haystack...

Started by WoodenHead, June 22, 2012, 07:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I was chatting with my local WM rep today about what I can do to upgrade my LT28.  Not much apparently.  However, one upgrade I can make is to change the whole head with an LT40 (manual) head.  New, this would cost more than my mill is worth.  But, he said, if I can find a used head somewhere (from a mill that might be damaged for example), that could work.  Like a needle in a haystack as he put it, but possible.

Anyone have an LT40 manual head they would be willing to sell?   ;D

Magicman

I think that your needle is very small and your haystack very large.   :-\

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WoodenHead

Yup.  I'm more likely to win the lottery (and I don't buy tickets). :)

Although there is always hope, I've resigned myself to the fact that adding homemade hydraulics is my best bet.  I can only go so far with the LT28.  Board return, Accuset2 and a debarker will have to remain a dream for now.

I'm interested in a 5-head moulder and an edger, so major mill purchases will have to wait.  Otherwise I think I might have sold my mill and looked for a bigger one (new or used). 

Satamax

Newbee, i don't know the mizer debarker, but why wouldn't you try a litle circular saw, or dado blade preceding the blade of the mizer? I imagine this could be done simply.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WoodenHead

I have thought of that.  But the debarker is actually last on my list of wants.  For my own needs the board return would be most helpful.  But I know the head would not stand up well over time (or the feed drive motor).  Once I accidentally used the blade/guide as a board return. :o  Definitely not recommended.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!