iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some fun sawmill and wood handling ideas.

Started by Indiana Robinson, June 21, 2012, 09:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indiana Robinson

I originally posted this message to the "circle sawmill drive" thread but I am putting it here now rather than run completely astray with that thread (I do that sometimes  :)).
==================
I am constantly telling folks (to the point that some probably get tired of me  ) that when you start working to fabricate a power unit, a heavy drive or anything hydraulic to go find a farm combine salvage yard or look for cheap old ones that are too small for the big guys and too big for the small acreage guys. 
More goodies there to work with than you can shake a stick at... All it takes is some imagination and forums like this one are full of imagination.
An off-side example is that big old chaff blower under the middle of them. Running at your back it will chase the sawdust away well.
================

There was a self-propelled farm machine that was combine based called the "Uni-harvestor" The "tractor" part had the operators platform/cab and the engine all off to the left side and the whole right side was open and there you mounted either a combine unit (header and separator) for grain. A corn picker unit was available as was a picker sheller. Another common unit was a silage or dry hay chopper. I seem to recall a baler too but I can't be sure. Farmers came up with all manner of uses for the tractor parts of those things like mounting corn planters out in front of them or building crop sprayers onto them. I have also seen big snow blowers built on them.
As I recall the Uni-harvestors were first made by Minneapolis Moline and later by New Idea (Agco). 

I was trying to find a good picture showing the system (without a lot of luck) and ran across this Farm Show article on one with a wood-splitter / buzz-saw built onto it.
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=937

Here is a discussion about a snow-blower on one. Scroll down to message #29.
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=43857&page=2

Now, mentally take that snow-blower off and imagine a sawmill down the empty right side of that mule.  :) It should be able to go about anywhere...
Or... how about a log carrier down that side...
I have a few other scary ideas yet.   :D :D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.
And yes, my woodshop is seriously infested with Shopsmiths.
Old geezer trying hard not to be one. :-)

slider

al glenn

Indiana Robinson

How many of you have seen these (pretty common here) and thought like I did "log hauler"...

Heck, it would carry a lot of mills back into the woods and haul lumber out.  :)

Some of the early ones may be a little light as is but many of the newer ones have huge spray water tanks and are quite beefy.
A now former son-in-law once lost his job for accidently backing over the passenger side of someone's smallish car with one of the big ones with full tanks. I understand that it mashed it down nicely.  :D

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.
Once owned a Kasco mill that would saw a 30"x24' log. Now a new little LT-10 Woodmizer for my own lumber.

Indiana Robinson

Lifetime farmer.
Lifetime sawdust lover.
Old Tractor lover.
Have worn a lot of hats.

dboyt

A little tall for working out in the woods.  Probably pricey, too.  But I've got to admit, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw one!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Satamax

Indiana, isn't it uni-harvester?

Anyway, that sounds pretty much like a wineyart portal axle tractor.

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&cp=14&gs_id=f&xhr=t&q=tracteur+enjambeur&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_frFR472FR472&biw=1280&bih=553&aq=0&aqi=g4&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&wrapid=tljp1340545071437018&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=NBjnT-q9Eoea1AW2zPmICQ

You and i are may be thinking along the same lines.  I had the idea of affixing a sawhead onto such a tractor, via à parallelogram in front. Even better, you raise the saw and with two chain you can make the log transporter :D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!