iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another day, another breakdown. Timberjack hub knowledge anyone?

Started by TheDirt, June 21, 2012, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDirt

Hi all,
Run into another problem with the '69 217D
Front left wheel seems to have power sometimes and other times just seems to be rolling with the machine but not actually pulling.
I did a hitch and it seemed not to be doing anything, then as i turned on the landing it started to get power again and had power throughout the next hitch, until i got to the landing and it lost power.
I'm puzzled.
No noises or grinding
no "jumping" or feeling that it is engaging and dis-engaging while turning.
This has the rockwell axles. I heard there is a design that allows the hubs to go in and out of engagement as you corner? is there a spring setup that could have failed?
I have no idea and didn't get into tearing it down today.
Any help would be awesome!

furltech

bushmechanic

Yep furltech is right sounds like the non-spin,either the spring is gone weak and not engaging the teeth or the teeth are torn off but still catching sometimes.It is located inside the crown housing where the differential gears would be on a regular rear end. 

TheDirt

Thanks guys!
So, unless I am mis-understanding, it sounds like I can pull the diff cover and start exploring since the problem isn't in the hub itself.
I'm hoping it is just the springs and not the whole gear, we'll see.
Really appreciate the help, hopefully I can eventually help someone with something on here instead of just asking questions.

treefarmer87

My c5 i had would do the same thing and it had rockwells.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

TheDirt

I got started tearing into it before I realized I would need to drop the axle off the walking beam in order to get the diff cover off. Looks like I'll be back up in the morning with the torches to do that.
If those springs are bad, can they be replaced? Or am I looking at replacing the whole no-slip?
Thanks guys!

TheDirt

That axle is not gonna come off easily,
brought up the torches and without cutting the bolts it was pretty clear I was going to have a long project ahead of me.
Talked to a mechanic with a lot of jack experience and he said he thought it was not unlikely that I had the problem due to high heat (it was like 95 the day the wheel lost power) which thinned the oil out to the point that the "nose-pins" as he called them, which hold the springs, wouldn't hold. He recommended that I go with heavier oil until it cools down, then change back to normal weight for the winter.
Sound familiar to anyone?
Thanks,

furltech

I had an old timberjack mechanic tell me the same thing once but i dont know .might be worth a try .

Thank You Sponsors!