iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pith Question on cutting pine 10x10 columns

Started by Cypressstump, June 21, 2012, 01:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

I am usually cutting cypress plain sawn for the most part. As of late I've been cutting some dimensional pine 2x material. and will have more coming up in the future.

Here's what I got - a fine pine 20" cant with the pith dead center pretty much. I need to make some columns for my mill shed. Can I cut that cant into 4 10" posts, which would put pith on a corner of each column? Will the pith on the corner affect much regarding use for a column?
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

beenthere

Depends on if you want straight columns, or not? Likely the four might be similarly matched with a fair bow to them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cypressstump

Thanks, I was hoping to hear differently.... ;D I was wondering have bad it would tend to bow if the shed was braced well. May be better off cutting three more to do it right.
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

beenthere

Yep, it would be great if it were different.
The juvenile wood at and near the pith will shrink longitudinally and pull the post regardless of what your bracing might be. Boxing the pith will tend to keep the posts straight, but a pith that wanders away from center may still cause some warping of the post. Straight pith is best you can hope for.
To be safest, cut a post from each log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cypressstump

Quote from: beenthere on June 21, 2012, 03:47:10 PM
To be safest, cut a post from each log.

You sure are making it hard on me..... ;)  Thanks for the information, I appreciate it !
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The pith on each corner makes GREAT bows for arrows.

For straight, STRONG columns......pith in the center.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tyb525

You won't be able to get exactly 10" cants from a 20" cant anyways ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

T Welsh

Cypressstump, Box the heart if you want straight timbers. Tim

Brucer

Naw, make 4 9x9's out of each cant.

Split the cant into 4 10x10's just as you were planning to do. When (or if) one of the 10x10's is bowed, set it on the mill with the belly up and saw that side flat. Flip it 180 degrees and saw off the "ears". If necessary, rotate it 90 degrees and repeat in that direction.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

colinofthewoods

I am with Brucer on this one,  especially if you are going to be using them in the next little while.  I've done it with doug fir before and not had a problem with it.

beenthere

Brucer and Colin
The OP is talking pine here, and I was assuming it is one of the Southern Pines.

south central Wisconsin

Ianab

Yeah, Pine can really misbehave with that pith on one corner. Can you get away with 8x8 posts? Actually even an 8x10 should work. If the posts are totally free of heart they will be more stable, recover some 8" board, and throw that central 4x4 on the burn pile.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

In southern pine, if you split it exactly down the pith with all the juvenile wood on one side and mature wood on the other side, it will most assuredly bow as beenthere described.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cypressstump

Thanks Guys for the feeback and direction. I was not sure of the tendency of the pieces to bow if braced heavily and not too much of an exposed , non braced section.

I now have a nice pile of stickered 2x material ..... ;) I have a few more pines that I will get my columns out of. Just sucks having to poor boy them logs to and fro'.........I need some equipment !
Stump

Case 586E 6k forklift

Cutting Edge

Not to speak out of place but I wondered:
Quote from: Brucer on June 22, 2012, 12:09:38 AM
Split the cant into 4 10x10's just as you were planning to do. When (or if) one of the 10x10's is bowed, set it on the mill with the belly up and saw that side flat. Flip it 180 degrees and saw off the "ears". If necessary, rotate it 90 degrees and repeat in that direction.

Would it help a person if they took, say, 4 posts, stacked them all with the pith outwards (stickered hor. and vert.), and used banding or straps every so often and left to dry....would that help keep the bow to a minimum??  Then do as Brucer suggested and trim the posts.....Or would it just "move" once released/installed and over time end up as a rainbow anyhow??
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Jim_Rogers

We often discuss "boxed heart" timbers in the timber framing section.

Here is a link to a post I did some 9 years ago, with pictures showing what happened to some timbers I had cut boxed heart and some not.....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4247.0.html

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

Yup, just because you "box the heart" there is still no guarantee that the cant/column will remain straight.  Much still depends upon the load that the tree was carrying.  How the limbs were distributed.  Levelness of the terrain.  It's water source and feeder roots.  Closeness of neighboring trees.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Quote from: rwthom279 on June 22, 2012, 10:49:35 AM
Would it help a person if they took, say, 4 posts, stacked them all with the pith outwards (stickered hor. and vert.), and used banding or straps every so often and left to dry....would that help keep the bow to a minimum??  Then do as Brucer suggested and trim the posts.....Or would it just "move" once released/installed and over time end up as a rainbow anyhow??

The longitudinal shrinkage of the juvenile wood and the lack of it by the mature wood occurs even if you have tons of weight or banding as it is internal to the wood.  I suspect that the bow will result anyway with the woods that exhibit the most longitudinal (along the length, not the width) shrinkage in the juvenile wood like in southern pine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

QUOTE FROM WDH

The longitudinal shrinkage of the juvenile wood and the lack of it by the mature wood occurs even if you have tons of weight or banding as it is internal to the wood.  I suspect that the bow will result anyway with the woods that exhibit the most longitudinal (along the length, not the width) shrinkage in the juvenile wood like in southern pine.
[/quote]

say_what

WDH

I guess I should have said that wood that I have cut shrinks and moves  :).

Cutting Edge

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 22, 2012, 10:06:15 PM
QUOTE FROM WDH

say_what
[/quote]

Dave, glad I wasn't the only one.  I thought it was 'cause I'm to close to the Mason-Dixon, or no grits in my diet, etc.  I think it means IF you try it, BAD things will happen...but some parts are still fuzzy...              :P   pc_smiley stupid_smiley
Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2012, 10:15:25 PM
I guess I should have said that wood that I have cut shrinks and moves  :).

WDH, Thanks for the chuckle and the advice
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

WDH

I guess that longitudinal shrinkage of the juvenile wood must be a Southern thing  :D.

I do know that juvenile wood tastes better with grits  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2012, 10:55:35 PM
I guess that longitudinal shrinkage of the juvenile wood must be a Southern thing  :D.

I do know that juvenile wood tastes better with grits  :).

Man, I try to learn all the terms and words and definitions WDH uses in my everyday dealings with my customers. They just shake their head and walk away like there's something wrong with me.  smiley_nananana

WDH

Well, you are just trying to make it all too complicated.  The customer should know that it is simply because the angle of the cellulose chains in the S2 layer of the cell walls of the longitudinal tracheids in the juvenile wood are at more of an angle than those of the mature longitudinal tracheids.  Plus, the cell walls, including the S1, the S2, and the S3 layers are not as thick in the juvenile wood.  They also contain a bit more hemi-cellulose and lignin.  However, the bordered pits in both types of tracheids function the same, so there is some cause for hope.

This is all true.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2012, 11:10:25 PM
Well, you are just trying to make it all too complicated.  The customer should know that it is simply because the angle of the cellulose chains in the S2 layer of the cell walls of the longitudinal tracheids in the juvenile wood are at more of an angle than those of the mature longitudinal tracheids.  Plus, the cell walls, including the S1, the S2, and the S3 layers are not as thick in the juvenile wood.  They also contain a bit more hemi-cellulose and lignin.  However, the bordered pits in both types of tracheids function the same, so there is some cause for hope.

This is all true.

And this is EXACTLY what I told him but he still insist the wood will split if it is not kiln dried. Geeeeeeee, some customers just don't get it.

Thank You Sponsors!