iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My struggles with pecan and inexperience...

Started by grweldon, June 21, 2012, 11:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Ladylake... I just set the downpressure yesterday at 1/8".

Ronnie... The only time I saw someone actually sawing in person before I bought my mill the guy was using a Timberwolf cobalt blade.  Cobalt blades are high-speed steel with cobalt alloyed to it for toughness.  I was eyeing them... I think they are about $45 bucks a pop.  My local Fastenal was supposed to be checking on a specific Lenox blade for me this morning, but as usual, I haven't heard back from them.  I think I may go with the Timberwolf cobalt.

How much cut time did you get from the blade before it dulled?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

wwsjr

WM in Noonan, GA has the 4* blades I am sure. Look on the WM site on the left for their tel number. I run the 1 1/4", 045 in both 10* for most cutting and 4* for dry hardwood. If you get the WM blades, you can then use resharp.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

grweldon

Thanks WWSJR... I'll keep that in mind.  I'm sure I'll try them just to try to save some money compared to the Timberwolf cobalt blades I ordered.  They were $47.70 each plus shipping.  I would assume the WM blades are about half that price...

Edit... I just also ordered 2 of the Woodmizer 4deg blades.  I really hope one of the two different blades makes a dramatic improvement.  I'm going to be really frustrated if they don't.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

customsawyer

If you are still having trouble with the WM 4° blades than it is something with the mill.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

And if it still won't saw sraight try `1/4" down pressure.  Nothing to lose lose as I get up to 20 sharpenings out of a blade, not all but some.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

Quote from: customsawyer on June 27, 2012, 07:36:21 PM
If you are still having trouble with the WM 4° blades than it is something with the mill.

What CustomSawyer says is right on.
I use 4 degree woodmizer blades in the hardest wood around here, dry hickory, pecan and beech. They are really good.

I'm sure you have You Tubed your mill many times.  Those videos should give you an idea of your approximate expected feed rate.  How does yours compare? 

YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ladylake

One other thing, all mills are basically the same ,  It's just a matter of adjustment and the right blade.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

grweldon

Quote from: YellowHammer link=topic=59038.msg862137#msg862137I'm sure you have You Tubed your mill many times.  Those videos should give you an idea of your approximate expected feed rate.  How does yours compare? 

There are not many videos of the 1440 on youtube, mostly ones produced by TimberKing.

Quote from: ladylake on June 28, 2012, 04:56:04 AM
  One other thing, all mills are basically the same ,  It's just a matter of adjustment and the right blade.      Steve

Of this I have no doubt.  I was warned about pecan before I started.  I was prepared for difficulty, I just want to get it sorted out.

grweldon

The big pecan log is no more!  Finally got the mill cutting well.  I'm not getting 20 or 30 feet per minute feedrate from it, but I'm getting over 4 feet per minute again cutting a 12" wide board. I'm sure I could push it some more but I'll wait until I get more suitable blades.

I finally can hear the blade chatter that folks here have mentioned as a result of too high of a hook angle.  I believe it is also the cause of the carriage starting to rock side-to-side during a cut.

In any case, I now have a few wided 8/4 and 4/4 boards that I didn't have before!  Some of them are beautifully spalted!  I have about 3 times as much as shown in the truck.  Those are 2" boards shown.  The largest of which weighed at least 100 pounds as it came off the mill.  It was all I could do to get it in the truck.  I thank all of you here who have offered advice and assistance.  This forum is a valuable resource!

Magicman

smiley_thumbsup  You will get it.  There is nothing like starting with the worst, but at least then you can taper off and enjoy sawing.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I recon you'll also learn soon enought to keep your door shut.  :D It won't keep all the dust out but it will slow it down some. I cut my teeth on pecan too, with a TK 1200. Still have some of it and that was about 14 years ago. Have since moved on from the TK, but it was a good mill for what I was doing with it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Those pecan planks look devilishly heavy  :).

Way to go  8) 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Migal

Congrats on getting that Pecan down to size the only Pecan I have cut was dead and it was like all the sand in the ground around it was in the wood dust but customer was happy and we made plenty of wood for him I found my speed picked up as the sun went down. ;)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Okrafarmer

I'm still telling you, those Munkfors blades are the cat's pj's. Pecan, no problem. Whatever blade you use, you have to make sure you're lubing plenty, as that gum will build up on your blade.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grweldon

I've been told that the TimberKing blades are actually rebranded Munkfors...  I don't know if it's true...

Thank You Sponsors!