iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut some cherry for my next-door neighbor

Started by Woodsrover, June 20, 2012, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodsrover

He's not all that close, but he never bitches about hearing my mill running.  (Or the gunfire, or the tractors, or the chainsaws, or the dogs that sometimes bark, or the late-night parties, etc.)  Well, there's not too many parties anymore.   ::)

He's a builder and a cabinet maker and had a couple cherries dropped in his yard a few months ago.  Of course I offered to saw them up for free (along with a few white pines he dropped).  That's what neighbors do, right?  And he brought the beers too!

The big one was all my little mill wanted to do, but we got through it.

terrifictimbersllc

Those stripes, are they a grayish color?  I've seen a cherry with that.  Anyone know what it is?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

That cherry is curly!  That is some high dollar wood  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pasbuild

I'll bet your neighbor the cabinet maker was excited when he seen the curl 8)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

LAZERDAN

YES               That's what neighbors are for.           I have 2 great ones' two good ones, and one rotten one.  He calls the police on every thing!!! woodmizer, dog ,woodburner, kids , wife, smoke, music and get this even laughing.  You know get together laughing.     Appreciate good neighbors drink beers, eat pies, be nice to thier children  etc etc etc. Cherry Pie that is.                           Lazerdan     

Okrafarmer

My neighbors complained about the smell of the pigs a few weeks ago. The EPA inspector came out, looked at my pigs, and said I wasn't doing anything wrong.  :-\

Nice cherry btw.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

One of the joys of sawing is opening a log up and seeing something that no one has ever seen and you just never know what is inside.  Nice find.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Riggs

Good neighbors are priceless, the cherry is beautiful, and your mill looks just like mine... :D
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

grweldon

That definitely IS gorgeous wood!  I'm hoping somebody will just "drop" some in my yard!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mikeb1079

man that's pretty.  isn't cherry nice to saw?  it's one of my favorite woods to saw.  i will say though that any boards cut near the pith will most likely split.  just a heads up.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Woodsrover

Quote from: mikeb1079 on June 21, 2012, 11:07:16 AM
man that's pretty.  isn't cherry nice to saw?  it's one of my favorite woods to saw...

It was nice wood to cut.  It was tough on the blade.  I washed the log really well and washed the bark again a couple times when I was cutting it.  he wanted to leave the live-edge so every cut was through bark.  Seems this cherry bark holds a lot of dirt and grit.  The last few cuts through the middle were a little tricky.  My mill has a 17" cut and we used every bit of it.

Cypressstump

Fine looking wood there! I love that grain. I have never dealt with any Cherry wood before.

Good neighbors are getting harder to come by it seems.
Yesterday I was cutting a nice pine log, and noticed a usually butthead kid from a mile down the road , pushing his golf cart past my place. As much as I normally dislike this kid (18ish), as he's always flying fast down the road, trespassing, causing problems in da' hood,, I could not let him pass without offering help. I  pulled his cart home with my truck. I'm trying to get along with some of these newly implanted chockheads, so we'll see what good deeds will uncover for me.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Okrafarmer

Well, good for you, Cypress. We all have those moments of opportunity to help people we don't like. Sometimes these people get to not be nearly so much a nuisance after a while-- then again, some persist.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

buzzegray

LAZERDAN

Good work !   Lead by example.   That story reminds me of the movie on Golden Pond  with Henery Fonda

SPIKER

Quote from: Cypressstump on June 21, 2012, 12:27:37 PM

Yesterday I was cutting a nice pine log, and noticed a usually butthead kid from a mile down the road , pushing his golf cart past my place. As much as I normally dislike this kid (18ish), as he's always flying fast down the road, trespassing, causing problems in da' hood,, I could not let him pass without offering help. I  pulled his cart home with my truck. ...

a different name for that is grand larceny or theft by proxy   :D :D

J/K
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!