McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

pineywoods

Quote from: smwwoody on June 20, 2012, 02:42:18 PM
Who makes a good small sawdust blower  around 3 hp

Harbor freight dust collector, toss the cyclone and dust bag. 110 volt motor. I have one on my lt40 and another in the shop on a woodmaster 718 planer. The on-off switch is a piece of junk, replace it....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

In that size of blower the motor is the prime component.  In normal use the motor is working at near maximum output and all day long with no breaks.  No question about it, the motor will be the hardest working one in any sawmill.

China motors/starters/controls are always suspect.  Motor windings in many cases are not dipped and some may appear to be TEFC but are not.  Single phase motors have cheap contacts in the centrifugal switch.  Starters/switches are IEC junk and cannot hold a candle to NEMA controls.

Watch craigslist/eBay for Torit and Murphy-Rodgers.  Most of the blowers that size are part of a dust collection system but can be run as a sawdust blower.  I think you need higher horsepower for a true blower.

My Murphy-Rodgers 3 HP has a Baldor motor with a AB starter.  I bought it used so no telling how many hours on it, but it still runs great all day long.  I have another 5 hp Robbins-Myers motor on a belt driven fan.  I used it off and on for 10 years in my old shop but it is really too big for my uses.   And extremely loud.

Suffolk Machine used to sell a belt driven blower built like a tank, but expensive.  I don't think they still sell it.  TK also has a blower but the fan is cast aluminum if I remember right. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Woodey

I started out with a Harbor Freight 1 1/2 hp. blower with out the dust collector, I pipe it about 30 or 40 feet from the mill. CFM rating was low and would not keep up with my sawdust amount. I upgraded to the Grizzly 3 HP G1030Z2, it has 2300 CFM. It works great. I also put one in the shop.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

smwwoody

We had that same grizzley on our LT 70 with about 40 feet of pipe. I will probably replace it with the same unit.  the bearings in the motor failed a few days ago.
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Al_Smith

As a general rule air handling equipment is about the most severe usage you can put on an electric motor .

When they set up large commercial blowers they use variable  diameter pullys and use a tong ampmeter to set the blower speed so it's about nearly max amp draw on the motor .

To get any kind of longgevity out of them you need a sturdy built motor ,high service factor .You can look them up at places like WW Grainger to get an idea if you like .

smwwoody

I know all about big blowers like the one we have with a 200 hp motor mooving our chips and bark.  I just need a cheep small unit to move the saw dust from our LT70
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Bibbyman

We wore out a couple of Grizzly blowers.   The dust just eroded away the sheet metal case.   And, when we got the LT40 Super,  the small unit could not keep up.

In 2004 we bought a 5hp unit from Timber King.  They sale complete dust collection units with bags, stand etc.  But they will sale just the blower and motor with starter.

This unit had enough capacity to handle both the mill and the edger.  The case was cast aluminum.   Also,  Will Johnson said the case was cast by a local company.  I forget the brand of motor but it is an American name.

It has a 6" inlet that we split off two 4" tubes – one for the mill and one for the edger.   It has an 6" exhaust. 

Here is a write up about our dust blower system.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6679.0.html
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!