iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Question:  Does this lumber look like veneer g

Started by Bro. Noble, March 03, 2004, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

The grading rules are a bit more leanient for walnut compared to other hardwoods.  That board may very well grade FAS.  The size allows them to make more cuts to eliminate the defects.  'veneer' is not a lumber grade.  That board may have come from a veneer log that was sliced until they started hitting defects,  leaving the lumber shown.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

Actually, the ad said he got the lumber from a veneer mill.  It may well be veneer reject.  Some veneer companies also buy saw logs.

As pointed out veneer is a log grade, not a lumber grade.  Veneer specs will defer, depending on the way the veneer is taken off.  Some is peeled, and some is sliced.  

I like his prices.  I wonder how much I can send to him at those prices.   :D  I think I could scare up a trailerload.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

What's the diameter of the pieces? Veneer plants don't use the pith of the logs, or most central heart wood. Maybe they have a small mill to cut lumber out of it. I didn't see the add.  What is the link? I knew a veneer buyer who would gather some of those 'blanks' from the veneer plant he worked for, milled them into lumber, then made use of them in his shop projects. Seems to me they were freebies. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!