iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pre-oiling chain

Started by hacknstack, June 20, 2012, 02:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hacknstack

Does anyone do this anymore?  I grew up watching my grandfather and father spritz oil on their chain before starting the saw initially, and I've continued the habit to this day on my 034 Super.  I have a squirt can of bar oil and give the chain a couple of squirts before a cold start - I have no idea if it actually helps chain or bar life, or if I'm just wasting oil.

clww

The only time I spray anything on one, is when it's been sitting, unused for quite awhile. I'll spray WD-40 on it then.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Full Chisel

If you sharpen your own chain the first thing to do is clean it. Lye is the best. I found a couple brands of degreaser concentrate in gallons for around $10 that have sodium hydroxide (lye ) in 'em. I mix it way stronger than the label says. A plastic bucket with your chains submerged in water/degreaser. I don't care if they soak two weeks, but keep the air off it.

*Don't put it where cats or chiwawas will drink it , unless you hate them.*  smiley_devil_trident

Get 'em out, hose 'em off and you will like the bright blue steel. Then hang them all together for a community blast of Penetrating lube. When it flashes off, you ready to grind. I was shortening the life of my grinding wheels before I learned this. Think of all that gum and dirt out of the moving parts on the chain. Gang spray 'em again after you sharpen.

Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

Clam77

As far as brand new chains- most of them come pre-oiled now.

It's not hurting anything, but there's not much need since the advent of clutch driven auto-oilers and tackifiers in the modern variable-viscosity oils that keep it sticky. 

For the older saws that had manual oilers... it was probably a good idea to do as not all oils were variable viscosity, or even clean (alot of used crankcase oil got thrown in), and it gave a little bit of time for the saw to warm up the oil in the tank so it flowed better.

Welcome to the forum btw if nobody's mentioned it already.    8)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

DDDfarmer

After sharpening the chain I will top up the gas and oil.  When the oil fills I will trickle oil down the top of the bar.  Just something I started doing years ago, few extra drops of oil is not going to break the bank and might help the chain  ???
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Al_Smith

It's a practice some do and some do not  .I oil up the long bars prior to starting the saw .Fact I saw the crew from Asplundh do the very same on a big Dolmar with a 36" the other day on a big dead ash tree .

Kind of comical in a way ,I was talking with the crew foreman and the feller just started the back cut then let out a scream and ran like he'd seen a ghost .We both thought WTH .Seems a big old wolf spider the size of a baseball had climbed right up the saw bar . :D

Reyn

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 21, 2012, 07:27:12 AM
It's a practice some do and some do not  .I oil up the long bars prior to starting the saw .Fact I saw the crew from Asplundh do the very same on a big Dolmar with a 36" the other day on a big dead ash tree .

Kind of comical in a way ,I was talking with the crew foreman and the feller just started the back cut then let out a scream and ran like he'd seen a ghost .We both thought WTH .Seems a big old wolf spider the size of a baseball had climbed right up the saw bar . :D

I will knock children and elderly people down trying to get away from a spider. Snakes dont scare me but a spider i cant stand.

Al_Smith

Niether could that young man from Asplundh obviously .I told him to step on it .He replied no ---kin way and beat it with a club . :D All the while myself ,the crew foreman and two linemen from the power company were rolling in the grass  laughing like idiots .

Seriously  though I'd imagine if a person had a phobia with spiders it wouldn't be very funny .Myself I'd have cut the thing into with the chainsaw and be done with it .4 legs going north and 4 legs going south .

CTYank

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 21, 2012, 07:27:12 AM

May I request standard English punctuation? (Makes for a much easier read.)

NO space before period or comma. Yes, space FOLLOWING period or comma.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Al_Smith

Ask all you want ,you'll get what I type .What you an English teacher or something .

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!