iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Features?

Started by ruralking23, June 20, 2012, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruralking23

What are some of the most important features I should look for when buying a gas powered chain saw? Although I will not be using the saw daily, I will be using it several times per year.

chainsaw_mike

If you are going to be using your saw often there are a couple of must have features out there that you should look for. The first is a vibration dampening system, which will minimize fatigue during use. Make sure that your saw has an automatic bar oiler, one less thing you will need to worry about and slow you down. I would also look for a model that has an air injected engine. This feature will increase the life of your saws engine and decrease the amount of times you will need to clean your air filter.  Here is a great website that talks about and explains several other key features you should look for when purchasing a new chain saw. http://www.chainsawsdirect.com/stories/294-How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Prosumer-Gas-Chain-Saw.html

Best Regards,

Mike Sawisch
Product Expert
Chainsaws Direct

Dave VH

I'm no expert, but I have learned that it is worth it to get a good brand saw. even if it costs twice as much.  parts will be readily available and you will not regret getting a good one.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

clww

As Dave VH wrote, you do get what you pay for. IMO, I would stay away from the saws that are under $250, new. Craigslist is a good place to shop for a used saw, but buyer beware. If I were buying a first chainsaw, I would definitely buy a new one. Check out the dealers that are in your area. You will need a service department that does good work for a fair price, sooner or later. A good, reputable dealer and service department go a LONG way.
The biggest thing is what will you be sawing? Tree limbs, brush, lot clearing, etc. demand different sizes of chainsaws. If you have trees that you want to cut for firewood, I would not get a saw with a 36" bar/chain. On the flip side, don't buy a saw that only take a 14" bar/chain. Good brand names I'd shop for are Stihl, Echo, and Husqvarna.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

ruralking23,welcome to the forum. A good dealer can help you out. I said a GOOD dealer.Most of the big names saws will have all the going features you need. Don't forget the chaps too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!