iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing a winch on my mill

Started by Sawdusky, June 20, 2012, 11:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdusky

I just bought a 1996 LT30.  It has the log loading ramps but no winch to help with loading.  I want to instal one and was thinking of gong 12 V.  Has anyone successfully done this?  If so how did you mount it and what location.  I would love to see some pics of your mill with the installation. 

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Sawdusky.

There should be a mounting plate up near the front of the mill for the standard (factory) winch.

The cable should run back through the bunks to a point 1/2 way between the two loading ramps, then go across the mill toward the loading ramps.

You will need to install a pulley system to turn the corners.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you will need.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

buzzegray

I pull logs onto my trailer with The 3000lb winch from HF. I bought that POS to try the idea out. It worked well , however, I never got around to buying a better one. 5 years later-- still works fine. Try it. Cost 50-60 bucks.

swampbuggy

After 5 years I think it has outlived it's POS status... ;D
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Sawdusky.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!