iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wireless Network

Started by Mark M, March 02, 2004, 10:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Anyone using a wireless network at home? I just hooked one up and it is pretty neat. I'm trying to figure out the security and have a lot to learn. I think this will be a lot easier than trying to run wires through da thurdy-room house.

Mark

isawlogs

Wireless...... gees I'm still on dial up and trying to firgure it out .....
  But I do hear ya in that it woulb be a headacke to wire up the thurdu-roomer.....
 Hows the connection , with the wireless, take much time to load up.....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

dewwood

We have a wireless network that works pretty well unless the wife is running the vacuum, then she can't hear me.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

sburro

I heard alot of scary stuff about them networks.  Make sure there is a firewall and a password on the system.  It is easier for hackers to get in a wireless network if unprotected.

BW_Williams

Mark, I asked our computer expert and he said "use 128 bit W.E.P. encryption or W.P.A. encryption".  Haven't a clue what that means, but this guy knows his stuff, good luck.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

SwampDonkey

Somebody outside the house in their pickup and a laptop can hack a wireless under an hour, according to TechTV. But, I have no experience with it. But, I know its near impossible to protect yourself with a network that works from signals in the air. They can be jammed, disrupted and hacked easily by anyone with that kind of skill. Heck you can even hack call display on a cell phone to fool the recipient of the call into thinking its someone else.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

I asked our state sponsered hacker (#1 son) and was told that a wireless network running 128 bit encrytion and a good password is pretty secure. He took great pleasure in telling me that no network is secure if someone wants to break in bad enough. But a home wireless one won't get enough exposure for it to be a problem. If you've got an always on internet connect that will be more of a security problem. A good firewall, updated os software, good passwords and virus protection is the way to go.

Mark M

Thanks for the comments. I figured out the basic security and will switch over to the 128 encryption this weekend.

I can tell you that it's pretty fun laying on the couch with the computer on my belly and surfing the net. I could even take it out to the outhouse. DanG, i forgot I don't have an outhouse.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!