iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill video

Started by buzzegray, June 19, 2012, 05:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzegray

steamsawyer

Nice video. Thanks for posting it. I would like to visit there too some day.

Notice the water jet spraying on the blade right at startup.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow......It looks like they have at least 6 people working this log from start to a finished edged board.
And then they came up with the band mill.......a 1 man show.  :D

The old circulars are a dying breed. I hope this mill can hang in there for years. Great history.

Thanks for posting Buzzegray.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

lyle niemi

great video, looks like I might be short handed on my mill..lol I only have three of us working, me, myself and I. Im gonna fire two of them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: lyle niemi on June 19, 2012, 08:30:07 PM
great video, looks like I might be short handed on my mill..lol I only have three of us working, me, myself and I. Im gonna fire two of them.

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

js2743

Is the second blade thats over top the main one, used when the log is to big to saw all the way through with the main saw? never seen this set up before

Chuck White

Quote from: js2743 on June 20, 2012, 05:00:20 AM
Is the second blade thats over top the main one, used when the log is to big to saw all the way through with the main saw? never seen this set up before

That's what I was thinking too.

Looks like it cuts whatever the main blade can't reach.

Nice video, thanks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lyle niemi

The stream of water shooting on the blade, Im thinking that would be a good idea. I could easily do that to my mill, What are your thoughts on that, is it worth doing????

bandmiller2

Lyle think of the soggy mess with wet freezing sawdust.Thats somewhat contriversial using water on a headsaw,up here in the cold northeast we don't.The old timer that set up that mill knew what he was doing,it seems to work for them.They could use a larger steam engine or more boiler pressure,shes pulling down in the cut even with the slow feed.Likely the boiler is feeling its age and pressure lowered. On you tube theirs anouther mill using a big Corless engine with much more poop.Used to watch a 350hp Fitchburg steam engine run at a local cardboard mill that sucker would turn a saw.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 20, 2012, 07:17:54 AM
Lyle think of the soggy mess with wet freezing sawdust.Thats somewhat contriversial using water on a headsaw,up here in the cold northeast we don't.The old timer that set up that mill knew what he was doing,it seems to work for them.They could use a larger steam engine or more boiler pressure,shes pulling down in the cut even with the slow feed.Likely the boiler is feeling its age and pressure lowered. On you tube theirs anouther mill using a big Corless engine with much more poop.Used to watch a 350hp Fitchburg steam engine run at a local cardboard mill that sucker would turn a saw.Frank C.
I should of ate some GRITS this mornin, I furgot about the winter time up here...lol

Peter Drouin

Yes Js2743 thats a top saw for the big ones  :D :D most all the mills around here have them  :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

reride82

Quote from: lyle niemi on June 19, 2012, 08:30:07 PM

You and me both Lyle! Every once in a while I get some help and man is that appreciated  ;) I had two helpers for a few hours once and it was amazing how much wood you can cut  :o But then again, anytime that blade is making sawdust is a good time  8)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Thank You Sponsors!