iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey GORDON! WAKE UP!!

Started by CHARLIE, December 21, 2001, 11:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

OK GORDON!! TIMES UP!  WHERE IN THE CATHAIR IS THE STUFFING RECIPE YOU PROMISED TO PUT IN THE KNOWLDEGE BASE!!!  HUH??

REMEMBER WRITING THIS?
"Today is Thanksgiving and we have been blessed with a very nice and sunny day. Were having a house full as usual, all the childern, all the inlaws---well most of them. A twentyone pound turkey is cooking in the oven. The ham is being prepped for the oven. Should be a great day. Just hope
 we have enough turkey. I made my famous Stuffing, always a hit. For those of you curious I will be posting the recepie on the knowledge base sometime this week. A little late for use in todays bird but there is always Christmas.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
                      Gordon"
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

I'm sure mine is better. Lots of sage. mmmmmmmm.....
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

swampwhiteoak

I tend to take the easy way out with stove-top.  Funny thing is, if you put it in your own container and dress it up a bit with a few more spices, no one knows the difference. :D

I do want to hear the recipe for this cathair stuffing, though.  Come on, Gordon, let's see it in the knowledge database.

Tom

What's this Cathair Stuffing anyway? Sounds like something that would get in your teeth. :-/

Bibbyman

HAY, HAY, HAY! ....  Tom,  let's keep this Forum this side of PG-13.  Your suggestion about getting "cat" hair in your teeth is a bit close to the line. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

cathair!  :D i can bring the cat hair. :D  wait, should be cat hair and sawdust stuffing for christmas.  we could get one of those colorizers and make it red.  :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Jeff's Better Then Gordon's Stuffing.
[/size]
(For an 18 lb+ Turkey)

Ingredients: 4 loads bread (should be 2 to 4 days old)
Turkey Giblets (from your turkey, duh,)
1 large spanish onion (the size of a softball)
1 Tbs Dried powdered sage
1 Tsp Black pepper
1 Tsp Table salt

Instructions
WASH YOUR HANDS!
Tear bread into pieces the size of the end of your thumb.
Boil giblets until done in about 2 1/2 quarts water. While cooking add sage, salt and pepper.  SAVE WATER!!

Remove giblets and chop gizzard and liver finely, de-bone neck and chop up that measely amount of meat. return this all to the broth.

Put torn bread in VERY large mixing bowl (we have one of those giant stainless ones)  add your onion, chopped to your liking, I chop mine about course-fine and mix. Now go wash your hands again and scrub your nails, or tie bread sacks on em.

Start adding broth slowly a little at a time, and mixing with your hands. Continue to add the broth until the stuffing is very, very moist. No dripping or runny, but saturated completely. The bread will have lost its shape by this time. You may or may not need all the broth. If you don't use it all, make sure you spoon out the chunks of meat and into the stuffing.

Stuff the bird, on BOTH ends, and heap the extra around the front. Cook the bird (Covered, until the 1/2  hour or so). Make sure the outer part of the extra stuffing gets good and brown and crunchy, thats the best part.

L. Wakefield

One year I baked herb bread destined for the stuffing. Did a batch of off-white yeast bread (Part white, part whole wheat) and a batch of corn bread. I really put the sage, thyme, rosemary, sweet marjoram, winter savory in there along with the usual salt amount. I don't think I added extra pepper prior to baking. When it was done I chopped it into cubes and let it air dry. Made dynamite croutons too. Nowadays I don't generally take the time for that. But you could do it with a breadmaker! 8)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Wenrich

Hey Jeff, I gotta question.  Is a load of bread something like a whack of lumber?   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

EEEEEEAHHHHHH TYPO!  I like it, I think I will leave it, so yes, its exactly like a whack of logs! :D

Gordon

JUST IN TIME FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER

GORDON'S BETTER THAN JEFF'S STUFFING
Shoo we guys and gals I must bow my head in shame for not posting this when I said I would. After all a man is only as good as his word. Now I'm livin up to mine better late than never though.

The nice thing about turkey day is the next day. Making a turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing sandwich with mayo, a little salt and pepper. Hope you all are happy now I'm hungry.

Ok here goes it's a lot like Jeff's, but then again it's not.

MAMA'S OLD FASHIONED BREAD STUFFING
I usually quadruple this recipe.

1    cup chopped celery (cut real small cuz the wife doesn't like it)
1/2 cup chopped onion (cut real small--same reason as above)
1   cup of FRESH diced mushrooms
3/4 of the giblets
1/2 cup butter or if you have to margarine
1    teaspoon of sage or bells poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
8    cups of dry bread cubes (toasted in the toaster from loaves of bread not the premade cubes in a bag)
1    cup + or - of  giblet broth ( if you don't have enough from the broth you can add chicken broth) Remember to save some of the giblet broth and about 1/4 of the giblets for the gravy.

First start cooking the giblets EXCEPT THE LIVER
In a small pot cover the giblets and neck with water cover the pan and cook for about an hour. Then add the LIVER and simmer for about another ten -thirty minutes. Chop meat then add most of it to the seasonings

While the giblets are cooking, start toasting the bread. Let bread cool from toaster and cube. Put in large mixing bowl.

In a pan cook the celery, onion and mushrooms in butter. Cook till tender. Now mix dry seasonings and measured broth into the pan, mix in well.

Put the dry bread cubes in a very large mixing bowl, slowly pour the broth mix over the dry cubes mixing the cubes as you pour the mix in. (works best with two people) Pour in enough liquid to make mix moist not soggy.

Now it's time to stuff the bird, take what won't fit into the bird and put in the oven for about 20-30 minutes right before you eat. Can cook the separate pan a little longer if you want more of a crust on top.

There are a couple of variations to the above recipe as well.
You can add fresh oysters about a pint and cook with the celery mix. (of course you have to shuck and dice the oysters before you cook them)

Another thing you can do is add about 1/2 cup of raisins in with the dry seasonings.

Well that's it hope you all try it and enjoy it even half as much as I do.

Gordon

Don P

Gordon, I'm suprised, no oysters? We end up with both types and three kinds of tea. Its a hoot just to watch the circus. :D

Happy Holidays All!

Gordon

Don you missed a key part of the post ---down at the bottom.

and I qoute.

There are a couple of variations to the above recipe as well.
You can add fresh oysters about a pint and cook with the celery mix. (of course you have to shuck and dice the oysters before you cook them)

Now I've posted this I hope Charlie gets a chance to read it before turkey day.

Now this is something I've wondered about people who deep fry their turkey -----can ya still stuff them. :o

Also you read all this stuff about not to put stuffing in the bird because of the possibility of food posioning. Grandmom did it Mom did it and I do it, haven't died yet. So what is the deal with that?

Gordon

Tom

Those folks don't eat fast enough, Gordon.  Heck, even milk will sour if you leave it out. :D

L. Wakefield

The problem with the stuffing happens if you stuff it 'the night before'- let's say some period of like 8-12 hours+. Even iif you leave it in the fridge, IF the bird was contaminated by salmonella organisms, these can multiply in the stuffing mix (esp if you use raw egg in it) at fridge or room temp- enough of them and their toxin to the point where you can get violently ill. Cooking after the increase of salmonella and the production of toxin doesn't fix the problem. You still get sick.

So you just stuff it immediately before you roast it and it should be no prob.

Today I tried for the first time stuffing Portabello mushroom caps with Bell's stuffing and a) lobster, b) shrimp and c) crab. (Did 4 of each)  Added some lemon juice and onion. Should have added horseradish. I will try that next time. I dipped the outside of each cap in olive oil before putting it in the pan, then mounded the stuffing on top.

It was a trial with no previous recipe. Any suggestions? :P    Couldn't find it in the book, didn't have time to check online. People liked the first effort. :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

woodmills1

I am wishing I was invited to eat at L's house. :)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don P

Really me too, though I can't complain. We were at a friends 80th last nite. And eating and visiting with more friends tonite, going to start the relativity drive tomorrow. Phew, I'm bloated and the fun ain't hardly started. Sorry Gordon, M says I have problems staying focused after the first sentence of directions, I thought you guys had to be the oyster stuffing kind. LW, we've been having good sucesses with www.allrecipes.com

L. Wakefield

WAY COOL website! And woodmills, you just say the word and we will try out a stuffing version for you any time you'd like to drop by. I'm hoping to bring the famdamily down to see your mill sometime. It's tough to get organized. Will you give us the guided tour of woodmizer and how ya run it if we get a chance to come over?   Merry Christmas!! (WE broke the mold and had T-bones today- Mike tried out his new George Foreman lean mean grilling machine..)    lw

Texas Ranger

Ya'll left out the oysters, apples, water chestnuts, pecans,  corn bred, all heck, none of them recipes was true southern stuffing!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gordon

Don't worry Charlie I'm up as usual. Did you try the stuffing or let the best darn mixin of bread-n-stuff in a turkey pass you by?

Hope you tried it cuz it sure is gooooooddd.

Gordon

CHARLIE

Gordon, I copied your Better than Jeff's Stuffing Stuffing recipe down but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I missed it for Thanksgiving and since we had a very small Christmas (Children were with In-laws), we had PRIME RIB! 8) 8) 8)  I'm gonna try it though.....I promise :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Jeff

Hey! My better then Gordan's Stuffing was on here first!

CHARLIE

Yeah but................................. ::)   Oh...................OK, I'll give your's a try too. But it'll have to be after Gordon's :-/
Charlie

Gordon

Well today is a perfect day for stuffing. The bird is cooking as I write this. Been a smooth day so far, helping the mrs and gettin yelled at for eating stuff I'm not suposta touch---HAY THAT'S FOR DINNER---man I hate that saying.

Gordon

splinters

Hello Guys. I'm someone new to writing to the forum, but I've been listining in for a while. Dont know much about sawin' but I'm learning just from reading.  BUT stuffing I know about. Even the bad is pretty good. One of the things that Momma (thats the Wife) does for me is to put no stuffing in the bird,and cook a roaster full by its self. More of that good crunchy top. She says that it also cuts down on the roasting time of the bird. Makes sure that it all is cooked too!  Of course it's made from scratch.  Scratch here means first bake some bread. That is the ultimate for stuffing.

L. Wakefield

Hey Gordo- surely you've seen that sick joke where the old fella is breathing his last, but is miraculously reveived by the smell of cholcolate chip cookies..so he shakily makes his way down to the kitchen, reaches out with his last strength for one- and the missus graps it out of his hand and tells him- 'leave that alone- it's for the funeral..'   :-[ :-[  I told you it was sick..lw

Tom

Hey Splinters, 'first bake the bread" sounds good to me.  I love fresh baked bread.  Like to bake it myself.  Actually I like the kneeding and rising best, then the smell of the baking second and the eating third.  I'm always so sad to see the loaf go away.

I remember the smell of fresh baked bread coming from our house when I was walking home from school.  Grandmomma's White bread was so-o-o-o good.

We had Bell Bakery in Ft. Pierce and they made bread for the stores in all the surrounding communities. It was located close to the Indian River on the North East side of the business district. When the breeze was right, and I think it usually was, The whole town was filled with the smell of baking bread.

splinters

I don't want to derail anyones train of thought on stuffing, but was there a spot for recipies and such?

Frank_Pender

Do not ever worry about derailing anything around here, Splinters.  It almost comes natural for some of us.  The main lines has a great number of swithpersons around to find the correct track. ;)  By the way, welcome to the Forum.  It is good to find some Splinters around the milling yard once in a while. 8)
Frank Pender

Tom

Yeah splinters.  Recipes go in the knowledge base.  There is a food section.  sometimes one is put on a post but the section is in the Knowledge base.  Click at the top of the screen.

Gordon

Heck yea there is a place to post recipes, as Tom already stated it's the knowledge base and if you have a couple of good one to add feel free to do so.

That is the nice thing about this board, the members can not only post in the forum,but also contribute to things like the Knowledge base and also the Forum link directory.

If ya can't find it at the top of the page just click on one of these.

Like I said above if you have any good foresty related links that aren't there already feel free to add them. Or if you have some good information for the Knowledge base your more than welcome to add it as well.

I do have to add that Easter dinner was SO DanG GOOD. If any thing that was an understatement. But of course my favorite is the day after. A turkey, cranberry, stuffing sandwich with mayo of course and lite hint of pepper. Now thats livin. :)

Gordon

Jeff

Welcome splinters! If you look at the top of any page on the forum you will see a link that says Knowledge base. Follow those and you will find the food category. Thats a place to list recipes or get some. if recipes got to be a popular thing, I would consider a section just for them.  Please feel free to add things to the knowlede base!!

splinters

Thanks muchly for the welcome and encouragement.
This forum seems to be one of the most intelligent and diverse that I have found out in the computer world. Great to be a part of.

woodman

Welcome Mr. splinters, i just came from the knoledge base looking for the baked bread rescipe but could not find it. Where did you put it?
Jim Cripanuk

splinters

woodman: I hate to disappoint you long term members.  I'll get something in today or tomorrow.  It's a wheat bread. Make you want to keep the Wonder for the kids.

Thank You Sponsors!