iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used 725 woodmaster

Started by thechknhwk, June 19, 2012, 02:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

Can I get a few opinions on what a used 725 woodmaster is worth? It comes with planing head, molding knife head and maybe 6 molding knives and is in fair to good condition.  I am very interested, but I don't want to overpay, plus I have to travel to pick it up.  Thanks for the advice.

hackberry jake

My opinion would be about $900 to $1100 would be a good deal. It also depends on what sets of knives come with the machine. How old is the machine? I might go up to $1,500 if I really liked what I saw, and needed one.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thechknhwk

The guy is asking 2500 for it.  It's the newer off white machine.  Appears to be in relatively good shape, forgot to mention it comes with the sanding head, and the gang rip head, but he can't find the blades.  I could care less about the sanding head, but the gang rip would be nice.  I'd like to get him under 2k.

If you find me a 725 for 1100, I'll go pick it up right now ;D

Thanks for the input Jake.

thechknhwk

I ended up finding a 718.  Now I need to get a 220 breaker in the garage.  Got some black walnut and maple coming out of the kiln down the road in a few weeks.

tyb525

Quote from: thechknhwk on August 06, 2012, 05:52:06 PM
I ended up finding a 718.  Now I need to get a 220 breaker in the garage.  Got some black walnut and maple coming out of the kiln down the road in a few weeks.

And a serious dust collector :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

woodmills1

yes dust collection

my woodmast 25 will not plane below an inch with out dust collection
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Woodey

You will like the Woodmaster 718. 8)
I have had one for years and like it.
I have never used the sander or gang rip saw. I have made some
molding and it worked well for that.
I don't use it much anymore since I purchased my 20" Grizzly Spiral head Planner.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

WoodenHead

I purchased a 725 last fall with all bells and whistles including the two moulders, spiral head, sanding drum, rip saws and so on.  I have used it less than 15 hours and the moulders are still in the box.  I recently found out that it is not electrically approved for use in Ontario.  I can get on site approval from our electrical safety authority, but my electrician says the last piece of equipment he had site approved cost over $3000.  So I may have to sell it.  Not quite sure what to do with it.

Long story short, I too am interested in hearing what others are either selling or buying the 725 for used, particularly with the moulders and spiral head.

thechknhwk

How the heck are "they" gonna know what you're using in your garage?  The gov't regulating what equipment a guy can use on his own private property..... wow.

Migal

Quote from: thechknhwk on August 22, 2012, 11:42:04 PM
How the heck are "they" gonna know what you're using in your garage?  The gov't regulating what equipment a guy can use on his own private property..... wow.

Let alone what kind of Cigarettes He can smoke Too  :-\
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

isawlogs

Nope not the govermint, but the insurance companies. If ever there was any damage done to the house\garage or building the machine is in, they would come after you with all they have to not pay out. They run the game now, not our goobermint.
Big question is , why is it not approved for Ontario, was it sold in Ontario???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WoodenHead

Not only do I have problems with insurance, if an electrical inspector were to find the planer, I could be in trouble.  I recently found out it is an offence to sell or operate equipment that is not properly approved.  The penalty is up to a $50,000 fine, confiscation of equipment and/or a variety of other unpleasant options.  Usually for the individual or small business they simply require site inspection.

The planer was purchased from Woodmaster through an Ontario representative.  I am a little angry that I was not informed it was not approved, but it is now a used piece of equipment and long out of the money-back trial period.  If I read the regulation correctly, the Ontario representative could face much stiffer penalties (up to $1M in fines) for distributing the product if discovered.  Similar rules apply to other provinces in Canada by the way.

The manufacturer won't take it back so I figure I have two options.  One is to keep it and use it and hope for the best.  The other is to find a buyer in the US because it is illegal for me to sell to anyone in Ontario and most of the other provinces.  I have already sunk too much into this planer, so I do not want to throw good money after bad and get it inspected for $3000.

Den Socling

That's a real horror story!  >:(

Stephen1

I would think a little more talking to Woodmaster would be in order. I find it hard to believe they sold it in the 1st place, and now are not willing to do anything about the problem
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Nomad

Quote from: Stephen1 on August 23, 2012, 10:43:05 AM
I would think a little more talking to Woodmaster would be in order. I find it hard to believe they sold it in the 1st place, and now are not willing to do anything about the problem

Definitely!  If you haven't modified it, I would expect Woodmaster to either make it right or take it back.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WoodenHead

Good news!  I did speak with Woodmaster again.  This time I went directly to the president.  He was very good about it and has agreed to take it back.  8)

Although the 725 works great, I didn't take any chances and ended up buying something else that is approved.  An electrical inspector is coming here shortly to look at some recent additions, so I wanted to have everything in order.  Right now I don't need two planers, but in the future if they have a Canadian version, I would still consider it should my needs expand.

Leigh Family Farm

Glad to hear Woodmaster is stepping up and taking the machine back. Nice to hear when companies do the right thing.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!