iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inside out sawing on an MP32

Started by kelLOGg, June 18, 2012, 08:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Red oak (~23"dia) 8.5' long is loaded via winch.

The face I want to open is facing down so I must rotate.

Cable and hook are wrapped around log and I begin rotation

A motor drives the boom in/out to achieve a vertical pull so big logs don't climb the squaring arms.

First cut thru the pith.

The two "halves" are bound together with ratchet straps for rotation.

Rotating to the next cut.

Second cut. Must stop mill at each strap and relocate strap to avoid cutting. Very slow!

Carefully continuing the cut.

Cut exits as planned. Note tight vertical clearance. Also note the small chocks; they are very effective at keeping a large log from rotating.

Remove straps, secure log with cable/hook and slowly let cable out and the 4 quarters fall open.

Remove quarters from mill and replace one at a time flipping and cutting "inside out"

Sticker and cover to dry.

This whole process took about 6 hours working alone even though it was carefully planned out. I wanted to see what quarter sawing was like by this method. I left the edge bark on and will remove it as projects demand, besides, the sap wood shows nice fleck patterns, too. The only surprise was when stopping the mill to avoid cutting the straps I found a ratchett would not open because a post blocked it. I found you can "jimmy" those things open.  I have another larger log which I think I will do the same way.

Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

hackberry jake

Thanks for posting, I find your log turner interesting.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I like the way that you strapped the sticker stack.  That should make even pecan behave.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom L

kgbond

I am going to try that, looks like something I could handle. Thanks for the pics.

Kimball

Magicman

You got-er-done for sure.  Your efforts are to be commended as well as rewarded.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

I like the look of that log but I must say I am confused. Why did you not saw the log in half. Slide one half of onto you loading bunks. Stik the remaining half on its edge and have at her. You would of ended up with the same lumber with a lot less handleing. Or am I missing something

Quebecnewf

kelLOGg

Quote from: Quebecnewf on June 19, 2012, 08:41:00 PM
Why did you not saw the log in half. Slide one half of onto you loading bunks. Stik the remaining half on its edge and have at her. You would of ended up with the same lumber with a lot less handleing.Quebecnewf

The only way I have for getting lumber off the mill is armstrong power, which ain't very much, so I opted to quarter it. Even though my loading/unloading ramps are essentially level I didn't think I could muscle half of the log back to the rollway. (My ramps have to be removed from the sawmill receivers in order for the head to pass.) As it turned out, manually moving a quarter log was doable (for me).  Your idea would have allowed me to avoid the ratchett straps but I would have to handle much heaver pieces. Even though the straps worked very nicely, they added a good bit of time and frustration but I think I will use them again as needed. Thanks for the critique.
Bob
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Quebecnewf

Every body has their own way of doing things. Could not the winch been used to slide the half back onto the log deck?? If that would not work why not use the rechet straps as winches. I have used them to unstick my snowmobile on different incidents.

I think the idea of using the straps to hold the log together is a time waster. I have looked at a lot of different people sawing logs and you are the first one that I have seen hold a log together with straps after sawing it in two. That probaly says something about the method
Just my 2 cents worth.

Great looking lumber from that log

Quebecnewf

5quarter

Quebecnewf...What would really be a timewaster is if Bob decided he could manhandle the halves and instead put himself in traction for 6 weeks.
Bob...thats a clever trick. I have used a couple straps to turn 2 halves together before, but took them off before making my second cut. securing the 1/2s was a bit dicey, but worked out ok. thank the Lord for blocking.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

Quote from: 5quarter on June 20, 2012, 11:38:25 PM
I have used a couple straps to turn 2 halves together before, but took them off before making my second cut. securing the 1/2s was a bit dicey, but worked out ok.

5Q, I have done it like that, too, but it requires clamping the halves together below the midpoint of the log which, as you say, is a bit dicey but is quicker. Another option I would like to try is to use pinch dogs along with the sawmill clamps; that should hold the halves together quite securely and there would be nothing to remove for the second cut. I have small pinch dogs like these http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001934/Pinch-Dogs.aspx
but I wouldn't use them on a large log. Anyone know where to get larger ones?
Bob

Magicman

It was not the method that I would have used either, but turning and clamping a ½ log can be a real chore on some sawmills.  I saw that the OP's method of log handling provided a way for him to successfully saw that log and produce the desired lumber.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cutting Edge

Quote from: kelLOGg on June 21, 2012, 05:39:08 AM
I have small pinch dogs like these http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001934/Pinch-Dogs.aspx
but I wouldn't use them on a large log. Anyone know where to get larger ones?
Bob

Bob, those dogs sure look like an easy DIY if you have access to a torch & grinder.  Good idea for sure, I may have to make a few for myself.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

kelLOGg

Bob, those dogs sure look like an easy DIY if you have access to a torch & grinder.  Good idea for sure, I may have to make a few for myself.
[/quote]

After I posted I realized the same thing. Make them out of re-bar.
Bob

qbilder

I like that loader & turner idea. Might have to borrow that idea. Thanks for posting pics. I also really like that ratchet strap sticker idea, too. Should make for some very straight boards.   
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!