iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why a OWB?

Started by Crappiekeith, June 18, 2012, 10:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I personally like forced air. ;D My wood is all inside for winter and kept dry and continues to dry more from the furnace heat. And my wood cost is low compared to fuel oil. It's never cold and if I want to regulate the heat, just open a window. ;D As far as bugs, these old farm houses are going to have bugs anyway. One of the biggest populations of bugs are house flies. :D

I like not having to dig in the snow banks and ice covered piles for wood. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

downeast

To us a direct source of heat from a wood stove is what we enjoy. Forced air, or hot H2O radiators is not how I want to keep warm.

Most of the 6-8 cords for the winter is under secure cover in a woodshed, in the "storm" shed attached to the house, and maybe a cord in open stacks for shoulder burning. No problem. In high winter, the two racks beside the stoves are filled and swept each morning, stoves filled, ashes dumped ( my assignment). This firewood is 'free' from the woodlot that we harvest along with pulp and sawlogs each year.

Anyone who seriously heats with wood that has to "dig in the snowbanks and ice covered piles for wood" is to be severely punished or given a Darwin Award. ::)  Or, reside in Canada.  :D

Those "house flies" are a species of Bottle Flies common to northern Eastern regions having nothing to do with firewood. Their 'eggs' are dropped inside screens/windows, hatching during winter. They are a PITA here.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: downeast on July 18, 2012, 06:42:20 AM
Anyone who seriously heats with wood that has to "dig in the snowbanks and ice covered piles for wood" is to be severely punished or given a Darwin Award. ::)  Or, reside in Canada.  :D

I don't mind digging in the snow for my firewood. I am outside everyday to plow snow, feed/water cattle, mark timber, etc; so whats one more simple task outside.

downeast

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on July 18, 2012, 08:28:09 AM
I don't mind digging in the snow for my firewood. I am outside everyday to plow snow, feed/water cattle, mark timber, etc; so whats one more simple task outside.

Yup: "one more simple task" adds up to taking away from more important to-dos. You want/need to dig out firewood, fine. You get a Darwin. :D

Real winter woodburners build woodsheds or keep their firewood inside, nice and dry and warm. Build it.  :o

beenthere

Quote from: downeast on July 17, 2012, 04:25:22 PM
............BUTT: there's some real thin skins here...on all sides. Lighten up, it's all about wood. .............Each to their own. Enjoy.....but ease up on the righteousness. 8)

QuoteYou get a Darwin.

And downeast, you were saying? 

I have to keep reminding myself who is talking about who. ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

downeast

Quote from: beenthere on July 18, 2012, 03:36:20 PM

"You talkin to me...?"  :D :D

Whew. This internet thing can get hot....without provocation implied or meant. Whew.  ::)

Migal

:) sorry post was too long to read all up north i see a lot of OWB's being used and if you have wood It makes sense down here in Texas I like my Old Wood Burner  8) It's a wood stove LOL
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: downeast on July 18, 2012, 03:27:01 PM
Yup: "one more simple task" adds up to taking away from more important to-dos. You want/need to dig out firewood, fine. You get a Darwin. :D

Real winter woodburners build woodsheds or keep their firewood inside, nice and dry and warm. Build it.  :o

Takes me the same amount of time to load wood in the stove be it inside or outside (had an indoor stove for many many years). No need to "dig out" the wood just toss it in the stove as it is. So the time it takes to fill the stove is a "must do" be it be inside or out. If you don't like going outside then I can see your point; Me I HATE being "trapped" inside even when its -30*, so I'm usually outside from sun up to sun down anyways regardless of the weather.

As for your quote "real winter woodburners" I live near the third snowiest city in the US behind someplace in the Rocky Mountains and Valdez Alaska so I would say that is "real winter" and I've been burning wood since long ago thus making me a "real winter woodburner".

thecfarm

Yes I dig through the snow for my wood. Because it is still standing.  ;D  I cut mostly dead wood,that's why I have a OWB. Mine will smother the fire out when I'm not calling for heat. Even dead cedar works good in it. I was able to cut through the last 2 winters all winter long. I have a pile of white pine still waiting for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The way I always looked at it, is wood stored away is for the convenience factor and cost savings. Pushing and shoveling snow is  a part of life to get to work or out of the house. But, I don't relish the thought of having to find my heat source for the day or a few hours by milling around in the snow and ice. ;)

Years ago, there was a family who never cut and seasoned wood ahead. The wood was fresh cut and set on the oven door to melt the snow and ice off and dry a little. One of the boys from the family never forgot it and decided when he grew up and on his own there would be lots of wood cut, stacked and stored ahead for winter. He wasn't going to fight winter for his heat source for the day. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

downeast

Dig or not, woodshed or not, OWB or wood stoves, wood furnace...matter of choice.

Here the SOP for winter is woodlot harvesting for the next winter. Firewood is fuel that for us ( "for us" to repeat ) is our 100% heat source.
Spring-summer-fall is for many other things to enjoy and do. Besides, I sweat enough in winter cutting, hauling, stacking,  pulp.
Who needs or wants to have unnecessary wet clothes, heat ( anything > 50 F ), soggy ground for equipment, or, or those nasty flying critters? ::) Work is easier on frozen ground, preferably snow...here at least.

So, each to their own. That Darwin Award for unnecessary make-work stands. Please give a proper address.  ;D

JMNSHEO

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on July 18, 2012, 03:36:20 PM
Quote from: downeast on July 17, 2012, 04:25:22 PM
............BUTT: there's some real thin skins here...on all sides. Lighten up, it's all about wood. .............Each to their own. Enjoy.....but ease up on the righteousness. 8)

QuoteYou get a Darwin.

Downeast, I know exactly why beenthere posted that, and he is right in pointing it out. You tell the rest of the posters to ease up on their self righteousness, and in the same breath tell some of them their actions are stupid.   You say you didn't?   The Darwin award is the exact same thing as saying that.

Defined:  award given to somebody who dies or steralizes themselves in a manner that is so stupid and reckless, they actually improve humanity's gene poll.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

downeast

Downeast, I know exactly why beenthere posted that, and he is right in pointing it out. You tell the rest of the posters to ease up on their self righteousness, and in the same breath tell some of them their actions are stupid.   You say you didn't?   The Darwin award is the exact same thing as saying that.

Defined:  award given to somebody who dies or steralizes themselves in a manner that is so stupid and reckless, they actually improve humanity's gene poll.
[/quote]

The Darwin Award has nothing to do with stupidity Jeff. Although some actions leading to death would improve the gene pool....you're correct on that.

Check out the actual Darwin Award site; more to do with actions that are self destructive, silly ( as in Monty Python "silly" ), unnecessary, or plain not thinking about consequences. Like the convenience store robber smiling at the camera. Or, maybe leaving firewood open to snow and ice IF you need the wood for heat.  :D  Not stupid.

P.S. Never said anyone or actions were "stupid". Different strokes. Some ASSumptions here Jeff. :o

Al_Smith

Everybody has their methods I suppose . Some build a wood shed some toss the stuff in a big mountain so the ground hogs ,skunks ,chipmonks and stray cats have a place to live .

What ever works I guess .I just stack it on pallets and cover it with a blue tarp .Cheap ,no property tax on a building and I don't have to shovel 2 feet of snow to get the wood .

To me the cutting of firewood when the snow is butt deep to a tall Indian lost it's appeal decades ago .Get-er-done in decent weather then hybernate when your buds are freezing their behinds off in dead of winter .

It takes me at the most a half an hour about once a week to retrieve enough firewood to last the week transfering it from the stacks out side to the wood rack inside my garage .

Jeff

http://www.allwords.com/word-Darwin%20Award.html
You may have your own definition, but the world has another.

From your recommendation:
http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/
Look under the "What are they? " heading.

QuoteSome ASSumptions here Jeff.

I'm not blind. Do you know who runs/owns this place? Don't answer that because if you give another smart ass remark towards me like that last post, you won't participate here any longer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

Quote from: downeast on July 19, 2012, 11:49:08 AM]
The Darwin Award has nothing to do with stupidity Jeff. 

"The Darwin Awards commemorate individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives: by eliminating themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chance of long-term survival. In other words, they are cautionary tales about people who kill themselves in really stupid ways, and in doing so, significantly improve the gene pool by eliminating themselves from the human race."  http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/

downeast -  Being wrong is OK.  Happens to every one of us.  Being wrong and sASSin' the boss, however, could get your genes removed from the FF family tree and your name changed to down'nout.  Maybe a move from self-righteousness to self-preservation would be wise. ;)

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Downeast, your level of comprehension of some of my comments is little twisted. When I say "He wasn't going to fight winter for his heat source for the day." That's wood for today, not next winter. As far as getting wood here at home, we always cut the trees in the winter and hauled and stacked in July. These were times of the year when the hussle subsides a little on the farm to go get the wood taken care of. These days, I'm all over and done with the process in 3 days. As far as getting wet and sweaty, that's nothing. Run a thinning saw all day in the summer heat for 8 or 9 hours and you'll  be wet from head to your socks and that's not rain. And spruce needles down in your shorts. Now try it for a few weeks straight for a good dose. ;D ;) I always warn the women folk at businesses I stop at for gas or what-not  about just coming out of the woods. Most say, I don't smell nothing. Fine by me. :D

I'm just fun'n ya, not beat'n on ya. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!