iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why a OWB?

Started by Crappiekeith, June 18, 2012, 10:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappiekeith

I see so many boiler threads....just curious why no warm air threads.

Is it that you guys just have that much extra wood to burn? 8)

beenthere

Crappie
What ya gettin at?

Are you starting a 'warm air' thread?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Crappie-

You've got to warm the air somehow!  Wood, oil, electric, solar, geothermal.  Take your pick.  Maybe you can use the hot air you can find here on the FF! 

Seriously, what do you mean by a "warm air" thread?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Crappiekeith

You guys are funny...no....really...I was perusing the forum and there's a ton of OWB threads....the only warm air thread was about a guy using it for a kiln.

I was just curious is all why there were not more guys talking about stoves and warm air furnaces????

gspren

Quote from: Crappiekeith on June 18, 2012, 04:50:35 PM
You guys are funny...no....really...I was perusing the forum and there's a ton of OWB threads....the only warm air thread was about a guy using it for a kiln.

I was just curious is all why there were not more guys talking about stoves and warm air furnaces????

The few outdoor wood burning hot air furnaces that I have seen need to be very close to the house whereas the OWBs can be located much further from your house. If you want the furnace IN the house than either is OK.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Buck

Tell us about yours Keith,  ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

I don't have extra wood to burn,but I have a lot of dead wood to burn. I burned just about all dead wood in my OWB last year. That's why i got mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

So what's your point here...

reride82

It seems as though he is trying to run down OWBs, but as I see it they are still fairly new and still working out the kinks. Kinda like when the automobile came out, all the buggy guys said they'd never last due to all of the problems. Shows how right they were in the long run. I think an OWB is a great thing for the right person and as each problem is faced, it is solved. I have yet to see a problem with an OWB that hasn't been solved yet, but I may be wrong. I think this guy is trying to get a rise out of the OWB folks. I personally don't own one, but I hope to in the future.
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

barbender

I've ran mine for 5 seasons with nary a problem, and I can burn any wet junk wood, my sawmill slabs, yard waste, deer bones, dead chickens etc ;D Because it works great for my needs, if it didn't I wouldn't have it. I'm still wondering, what is your agenda?
Too many irons in the fire

doctorb

Jeff made a post years ago about people coming here to complain about their OWB problem, with a high percentage of them looking to solve that problem.  That's what happens here on ther FF.  If one's assessment about OWB's comes from the titles of threads in the Firewood and Wood Heating section, that's an inaccurate method of determining the costs, efficacy, benefits and problems associated with OWB's. 

OWB's are just a machine that involves very high heat, controlled air flow, water circulation, and maintenance.  Warm air furnaces are, as has been stated above, placed close to the home, and can be run with a variety of fuels, including wood.  They may not have water jacket leaks or rust, but I don't want that machine right next to my house.  I think most people would share that view.  As I am not terribly familiar with them, are any made with gassification technology, assuming they burn wood?  If they use propane, oil, or electric, why would you put it outside?

So, if you want to heat your home cheaply, with renewable fuel, with available fuel, with EPA approved air pollution standards, without bringing a lot of wood into your house, and without buying pellets, you accept the list of things that can go wrong or need maintenance with OWB's and you work through them.  Many of us are happy with our OWB's.  :) 

So, could you please provide us with more info on the warm air furnaces?  Do you have a link for us to investigate?  From my point of view, if you are heating your home from a furnace outside your basement, the fuel of choice is wood.  Have I misunderstood?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Norm

So you're located in the same town as the wood furnace you're pumping on here, are you associated with them Keith?

Crappiekeith

wow....and all I did was ask a question....

Doc said...Jeff made a post years ago about people coming here to complain about their OWB problem, with a high percentage of them looking to solve that problem.  That's what happens here on ther FF.

I get it now. Someone said FF was the place to go for tech service.

Norm

A quick google search on your user name was all I needed to know what you're up to.

And I'm waiting on the answer to my question....

barbender

All you did was ask a question...a loaded question. Some brands of OWB have had a lot of problems, others are pretty trouble free. You have yet to share the benefits of the "warm air furnace" or even explain what you are talking about. I think detective Norm might have you figured out, is he wrong?

Norm

I'll just cut to the chase here, he is associated with them and has been pumping them all over the net with this same trolling carp. He's also on a bunch of the fishing forums I frequent with less than stellar moments like....

For Crappie Keith anyway.Busted again this time no fishing license while fishing,It was taken away for other violations.
What a bone head move!!

Now I'm sure this may all be a coincidence but I'm not sure how many crappiekeith's there are from Palisade, MN.

Care to enlighten us Keith.

barbender

Not too many, I would think. I don't live very far from Palisade, it is one of Minnesota's smaller metro areas :) I'd guess population of about 150. It makes Deer River seem big city :D

doctorb

Crappiekieth-

"and all I did was ask a question...."

That works both ways, Crappie. There are at least 5 responses to your question on this thread asking YOU for more information, and you've provided nadda.  I guess Norm has it nailed, as always.  You're not interested in help, your interested in yourself. 

boilerman101

Since Crappie won't answer, maybe we can help him...Lets see....
With his indoor hot air blowing wood furnace, you can split your wood smaller, bring the wood back into your house, drag the ants, bugs, dirt and bark in with it, smoke up the house when loading, drop ash throughout the house when hauling out the ash, load the small firebox more often, heat the house where it sits but not your out buildings, take up more room in your basement for it to reside or park your car outside and place it in the second stall of your attached garage as long as it it insulated. Am I missing any other benefits?

AsaG

Quote from: boilerman101 on June 19, 2012, 08:33:39 PM
Since Crappie won't answer, maybe we can help him...Lets see....
With his indoor hot air blowing wood furnace, you can split your wood smaller, bring the wood back into your house, drag the ants, bugs, dirt and bark in with it, smoke up the house when loading, drop ash throughout the house when hauling out the ash, load the small firebox more often, heat the house where it sits but not your out buildings, take up more room in your basement for it to reside or park your car outside and place it in the second stall of your attached garage as long as it it insulated. Am I missing any other benefits?

Wow!  With all of those benefits, I'm thinking I may have made the wrong choice.  :D Oh, there is one benefit not mentioned.....no easy way to heat domestic HW.

thecfarm

You can't group all OWB,chainsaws,sawmills,trucks ect. together and say they are all no good either.
Too bad he can't get us all going.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I've seen enough in my quick searches to see that Crappiekeith is only here to stir crap. As suggested, he is doing the same on other forums as he is doing here. As always, our membership is quick to pickup on people that come her with an agenda. That's not what we are about, so Crappiekeith, this will be the end of your discussions on this. If you care to continue your membership in an above board fashion, you are welcome to do so, but knock off the shenanigans.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Keith Nelson"Hey folks!
Welcome to my corner of the world here at Yukon.
My main responsibility is to educate the public about our furnaces.
I also help out with technical service and with our marketing efforts.

I have been with the company for 11 years .Throughout my time here I have learned a ton about our furnaces and how they have helped out our customer base to drastically reduce their heating bills."

The only educating you have done here is to let potentially tens of thousands of people know that you are one very devious individual. Hopefully you have someone above you in your marketing efforts that reads this and shuts you down.

de·vi·ous/ˈdēvēəs/
Adjective:   
Showing a skillful use of underhanded tactics to achieve goals.
(of a route or journey) Longer and less direct than the most straightforward way.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Crappiekeith

So I asked why an owb? I pointed out several postings about failure and issues...now it's turned into a personal attack somehow??
All I'm trying to do it create a conversation...true I work for a warm air wood burning manufacture so I am somewhat biased...and I was busy with other things hence the non replies to the questions.

I really do not believe asking questions and pointing out issues is stirring up trouble. Pointing out obvious traits for others to see ..is causing trouble....hmmmm.

lots of assuming going on here.....

Thank You Sponsors!