iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

climbing saw

Started by woodtick#2, June 18, 2012, 08:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodtick#2

I recently bought a pair of climbing spikes and am going to start doing some tree work on the side.  I am in the market for a climbing saw and I was wondering if anyone has any feed back on the Husqvarna T435 climbing saw. Thanks
-Nathan

chep

All Im gonna say is that there is a lot more to tree work then a set of spikes and a saw. There are plenty of pros who pay the proper insurance and have the experience and equipment to get the job done safely. It is one of the most dangerous occupations in the country, and can kill you real quick... Yes there is money to be made, but dont be out undercutting professionals bids with a git er dun attitude. End of rant. Be safe.
That said, I run a Jonsered 2139T and it does just fine.

Full Chisel

It is a light saw with 3/8" pitch chain at the right price. You can't miss.
Jed: Jethro, how's come they ain't no ice in Kali Forni-a?

Jethro: Don't look at me Uncle Jed. I didn't take it.

beenthere

woodtick#2
Sounds like an interesting sideline. Have fun, be safe of course, and keep us posted with some pics and stories.
Are you able to get training to learn how to be up in the trees?
Maybe like my deer hunting in trees for the past 40 years...... little to none, and a lot of luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Well if you are a novice at climbing you'd best find a solid dead tree or one slated for removal and get used to it first before you shinny up a tree with a chainsaw .Now don't be spiking up a perfectly good tree practicing .

As for a saw ,probabley the overwelming choice of climbers is the famous Stihl 200 T .They don't make them any more but when they did it was a 600 dollar saw new .

Be safe now tree work can get you hurt real easily .

chevytaHOE5674

Only put the spikes on if the tree is being removed. If your just trimming or pruning learn to climb without spikes.

IME the 200T is hands down the best saw in the tree. 

woodtick#2

I currently work for a tree company we do alot of residential work some climbing some bucket work, we have 3 200t saws but they are hard to find used in good working order.  I wont be undercutting any companies and I will have insurance, mainly I will be doing local work by word of mouth and through people I know.
-Nathan

westyswoods

When did they quit making the 200T? I just purchased one last fall, price was higher than most would like but it is a great saw.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

woodtick#2

Not too long ago, they replaced it with a more environmentaly friendly saw, the 201
-Nathan

Al_Smith

About last fall might have been the end of them,maybe even last spring .

Most of them and the 020T's that died on the vine were from cooked top ends .The blame was attributed to faulty Zama carbs but I don't think that is entirely true because they only used the one model with the built in accelerater pump more towards the end of production .

Recently my bud the tree guy had a leaker so I bought a set of cases complete with the crankshaft off flea bay for 50 bucks .I noticed it had sloppy bearings so I just switched them around which did the trick .

About the same time one of my 200's started leaning out after few cuts ,and sure enough side slop in the bearings which heated the seals after a short run .

I ordered a set which was less than 60 bucks but haven't had the time to tear into it yet .So a word to the wise if you own a 200T with some run time on it ,it might not be a bad idea to check the side play on the crankshafts .60 bucks and maybe an hour and a half will fix it rather than half the price of the saw in a new cylinder and piston .Which BTW as of this time it's all OEM parts because nobody makes an aftermarket kit for them .

Those are too nice of a saw to let go down the drain because of a few parts .

T Welsh

woodtick#2, Stihl 020T or the newer version 200t hands down the best climbing saw on the market,bar none ;D I have 30 years under my belt and have tried the rest and now have the best.We have 4 of them ;D Good luck, and like the others said BE SAFE!!! Tim

HolmenTree

I sent my MS200 off to a fellow arborist in Tasmania :)
I'm presently running a new Husky 338XPT with a 9/16" muffler mod outlet, I am very happy with it. But I am eager to try out the new T540XP.

My advice for fledgling tree climbers is spend $500 and take a ArborMaster or equivelent training course in basic tree climbing/ work positioning. It'll be the best $500 you ever spent.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ladylake

Agreed the 200t is a factory hot rod but with a muff modd and tuning there are some out there real close at a lot less $.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Full Chisel

Husqvarna is the official saw of the International Society of Arboriculture. We go through Stihl MS192T's like a bridge club goes through a salad bar.  They are a little above your Husky in cost but it isn't something you cherish. You have a Bic lighter scenario. They are so cheap compared to a days earnings in tree removal, you could buy a new 192 every week. They are repairable, stuff like clutches. But they get dropped or smashed more often than wore out. I like the way the filler caps are together centered near the pivot point. But I don't go for the primer bulb on the chinese Zama carb, My current climbing saw is a MS201T. She doesn't have a bulb.
My point is get what you're gonna run and stick with it then as they blow up or get smashed, you can accumulate parts.

clww

I did tree removal for 6 years here in Tidewater, until last Fall. My "climbing saw" was a Stihl 028 with a 16" bar. Smallest saw that I already had on hand. It was much different than the specific arborist chainsaws, but I did fine with it, and was never looking for more saw.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HolmenTree

speaking of primer bulbs the one on my 338XPT lost one of it's clips that holds it in place. Either gonna have to epoxy it in place or wait for the long wait to order one.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Actually the older version being the 335 Husky had great balance etc for a climber .The weak link was the oiler  .The fix wasn't that much ,less than 15 bucks for a new gear and shaft but you had to field strip the saw to do the repairs.

I've never operated a 338 so I can't comment on it .

Now there is no way however to compair a 192T Stihl with a 200t .They don't belong in the same paragraph .

Full Chisel

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 19, 2012, 08:52:54 PMNow there is no way however to compair a 192T Stihl with a 200t .They don't belong in the same paragraph.

That's too general.

People who are in this commercially who seek to optimize compare those two saws frequently and at length. A paragraph can't provide sufficient real estate for the findings.

The real world environment in tree top work is a harsh setting for an air-cooled engine. On one 80 foot oak removal in confined quarters, (Old Hat) there is so much rigging and positioning involved that the saw will both idle longer and be pull started more frequently than what is necessary in a solid five day week of firewood cutting. This was the first thing I learned when I made the leap. Even your ground saws' service lifespan is dog years compared to what a farmer puts his saw through. Think of this world as daily stop and go driving and that as weekly interstate cruising. Do you subject a $600 Stihl to it all or a $375 one?

In heft and feel, the 200/201T is a Snap-on the 192T is a Craftsman.

Economically: Zippo lighter to Bic.

Low-Rider or Sportster?

Both are adequate. Let's optimize when it comes to tools.

Al_Smith

Well maybe so depends on how you look at things I guess .

They've tried the 192T's as well as the 335 Husqvarnas and niether had proven to be half the saw of the 020T or 200 T models of Stihls .At least in this area of the country

Just so you know sir I pretty much maintain the saws and equipment for two tree service companys  so I'm not exactly a novice at this stuff .That as well as maintain ,restore and occassionaly enhance a few of my own so as they say this is not my first rodeo . ;)

snowshoveler

I work at a Husqvarna dealer and of course I have a 338xpt.
I actually use it around my circle saw mill to trim logs and stuff.
The little husky is a nice saw but its no comparison to the Ms 200 stihl.
Those are a weopon right out of the box, and a bit easier to work on.
Husky has some sort of new saw in the works so maybe it will be a nice saw.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Full Chisel

Quote from: Al_Smith on June 20, 2012, 06:39:31 PM
Well maybe so depends on how you look at things I guess .

They've tried the 192T's as well as the 335 Husqvarnas and niether had proven to be half the saw of the 020T or 200 T models of Stihls .At least in this area of the country

Just so you know sir I pretty much maintain the saws and equipment for two tree service companys  so I'm not exactly a novice at this stuff .That as well as maintain ,restore and occassionaly enhance a few of my own so as they say this is not my first rodeo . ;)

I would not attack your credentials. Just joining the discussion. As you've maintained the saws for the tree crews, you're the one qualified to draw comparison.

I'm only in tree work for the money, a rip roarin' good time and a surplus of firewood as my whole side of the family heats that way.

For me it all started with wood heat and an obsession with saws and a love for climbing.

This is a good kid that started this thread. He only wants to know about Huskys. I'd have one in a minute, NO DOUBT.

Back in the glory days of us motocrossers, a Husky was coveted property. They pull a wheelie in top gear. The kickstarter on the wrong side.

westyswoods

Bought the 200T last fall to replace  a 20 which has seen more than a few hours but is still a great runner. In fact the 20 is a lot quicker on throttle up and actually seems to run at higher rpms than new one.

No complaints on either just hope the new one needs more break in or could it be the difference in the models?

Question for thosw in the know.
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

Al_Smith

The trimmers tried the little 335's .They were cheaper of course.They liked the balance but when they all died from bad oilers and the dealer was too dumb to fix them that pretty much sealed the fate of that model in this area .I have three in my shed ,one that oils because I fixed it .

There's been good reports on the 338 model but I've never even seen let alone operated one .

Thank You Sponsors!