iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Enormous sycamore

Started by Delawhere Jack, June 17, 2012, 07:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Way too big for my mill........ I attended an Ag meeting in Cecil Co. MD this afternoon with a friend of mine who was an ag extension agent there for about 9 years. When we left she asked if I wanted to see the biggest tree in the county, I said sure. We drove about 12 miles to the Sinking Springs Herb Farm in Elkton. She is friends with the lady who lives there and sometimes takes her 4H students there for classes.

I must never leave home without a camera!

Right outside the woman's home (which dates to 1732) is an emormous sycamore which dates to 1578. 434 years old! I guess they took a core at some point and counted the rings. The circumference was noted as 22' 4". I'd estimate the dbh at a solid 8'+ maybe nine in some directions. The roots above ground spread over 12'.

There is a picture on their website, but it is tiny. It's about halfway down the page on the right.

http://www.sinkingsprings.com/index.html

I must never leave home without a camera!  :'(

shelbycharger400

i wish their was a rough estimate calculator baised upon the diameter that would calculate age of a tree.   too many variables im thinkin tho.

just a picture of the tree  do no justice, you gotta be standin up against it in the picture :)

Magicman

Congrats for at least seeing that county's Champion Tree.

Most folks carry cell phones, and most cell phones have cameras.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Magicman on June 17, 2012, 08:38:37 PM
Congrats for at least seeing that county's Champion Tree.

Most folks carry cell phones, and most cell phones have cameras.   :)

Yeah... and you would think as a former computer tech that I'd have one.... :-[ When I was working as a tech I carried a Blackberry supplied by my employer. I had to replace my personal phone at that time, and I got the most basic phone they had.....

colinofthewoods

I don't know anything about sycamores,  i'm curious do you think it would be pretty hollow ?  or do they stay sound when they get big ?

Thank You Sponsors!