iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

where in maine can you get you bands sharped

Started by HuZzEy, June 17, 2012, 09:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuZzEy

hey all you in maine where do you get your bands sharped thanks

MrPete

I don't have a mill, so I cannot say from experience but there is a guy in Stetson on route 143 that does them.

dgdrls

You can try this fellow, I have no experience with him,
http://www.millmarkproducts.com/about.html
or mail your bands to Wood Mizer Resaw service
http://www.woodmizer.com/us/Blades/ReSharpService.aspx,

or http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

There are folks on-line here who can speak to WM and Suffolk better than I.

DGDrls

Magicman

Are you still are running that Thomas 2411 sawmill?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

HuZzEy

yes I'm still using the thomas 2411 I'm trying to find someone close to me that sharpens blades. yea millmarks is in ellsworth and is 70 miles from me. the one I have doing them now is 45 miles and does a great job with them I guess I just have to buy more new blades to have on hand 

Magicman

Your guy may be doing a good job, but 45 miles (90 mile round trip) is a long way to take blades.  By the time you take the blades and then go back to get them, you have almost bought new ones.  I was using a "local guy" and sometimes not getting like new blades.  This was not satisfactory.

If you are using WM blades and have 10, then I found WM Resharp was the most economical for me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

36 coupe

thecfarm

I take my to Madison,too far for you. This guy probably been around sharping circular saws and bands for 30 years. His shop looks it too.  ;D It's about 30 miles for me,one way. He saved one brand new blade of mine. I put a kink in it. would never know it now. I have not used my mill for 3-4 years. The guy that use to do mine has closed,was in a bind so  I went to Thomas to have them shapen. I was not impressed,will not go back for sharping. I kinda think they throw any guy that is not busy on the shapener.Ask at a local hardware store,that's how I found this guy. I only have 6 blades and only one is WM. I am having the dog groomed up there this Tuesday so will drop off 5 blades to him than and I hope he'll have them done for the weekend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

There are several "sharpeners" within 5 miles of me.  What I found out was a person owning a sharpener and setter does not necessarily make him a qualified blade sharpener.   I paid my money and freshly "sharpened and set" blades would take a dive.

The sharpening cost is the same, and I have never had a WM Resharp blade to be any less than a new blade.

JohnM

Hey Huzzey, this is still a bit of a haul for you and I'm not actually sure if the do bandsaw blades but US Blades in Hampden may be worth a call anyway.  http://www.usblades.net/

Good luck!

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Dewey

mjeselskis

I use Fitzgerald bandsaw sharpening in windham. I drop them off at the hardward store down the road in Livermore, and they pick up and drop off one day a week. Usually a one week turnaround. $8 / blade and they do a good job
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

laffs

I wanted to send mine back to cooks but the 3 week turn around wasnt a good option, Id have to have at least 60 blades. I went to warren in stetson it was 50/50 wether the blade was going to be good. I went to the guy at US blades I started out with over 30 blades in a few months I was down to about six blades. I called millmark told the guy what i expected he assured me that my blades would be better than new. I sent him 8 blades at $10 each. The first one I put on dove about 4 inches in the first 16 inches, the second blade broke at about 200ft. I called and reemed him a new one
I saw Warrens son this spring and he told me that he made warren recalibrate and upgrade some equipment and methods. Its been 95/5 so Warrens my guy now again. The worst part is that he's 89 and wont wear his hearing aids.

If I had my druthers Id send them to cooks but a 3 week turnaround doesnt work for me. Thomas will do your blades only if you have a Thomas mill. woodmizer will do woodmizer blades.sufolk saw wll do their blades.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

thecfarm

mjeslskis,I suppose you mean the hardware store in Brettus? I heard that place mentioned when I was looking but did not know they had a pick up there. I may need them for a back up. Never know.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

At eight bucks a pop and the price of gas the payback owning your own sharpener is not that long.Anyone with any mechanical ability [99.5% of down mainers] should have no problem sharpening and setting their bands.Plus you have the flexibility to change your hook angles.Its relaxing to sit back with a cool malt beverage and watch the sharpener do its thing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mjeselskis

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2012, 05:46:51 AM
mjeslskis,I suppose you mean the hardware store in Brettus? I heard that place mentioned when I was looking but did not know they had a pick up there. I may need them for a back up. Never know.

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  It is the hardware store by brettuns. Guild's Hardware. I've used about half the blades that I had sharpened last month and they've all been great
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

thecfarm

mjeselskis,thank you.
bandmiller,I only pay $6 per blade,but you do have a point.

Thank You Sponsors!