iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

benefits of waxing ends of boards for kiln drying?

Started by Dominican, June 17, 2012, 09:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominican

could anyone explain the benefits about waxing ends of boards for kiln drying, could i use any wax or maybe latex paint?
Bbpin 28028454

Norm

The benefit is you don't have splitting or end checking of the first few inches of the board. Latex paint is worthless to use and not worth the time or expense. Anchorseal is what I use but am not sure you'll be able to get some in your country.

shinnlinger

As norm said, it help reduce end splitting as the moisture will leave open end grain faster than than thru the sides of the board.  I would only bother to do this on valuable hardwoods as the splits only go so far in.  I have read that they tend to stop sooner if your place  stickers near the end.  White pine has so much sap they self seal'

A pot full of melted paraffin wax is nice for seal  narrow pieces
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dominican

thanks for your knowledge, i will try with the parafin and let you know, acacia mangium wood is what i am drying.
Bbpin 28028454

Den Socling

Welcome to the forum Dominican. I think you are going to find paraffin difficult to use on a commercial scale. It has to be hot to keep it melted. Products like Anchorseal are thick liquids at room temperature. This allows you to brush or spray it on the ends.

Dodgy Loner

I mix paraffin with paint thinner for my wood sealer. It will form a soft solid at room temperature, but if you set it in a pot of hot water, it will melt and stay liquid for several hours. It's much cheaper than Anchorseal and the end result is the same. It doesn't take too much mineral spirits - I usually grate the paraffin, fill up a jar, and pour in the mineral spirits to the top.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Al_Smith

Everybody has their favorite methods .Mine is to end seal the log with roof tar .Right before it gets milled cut a cookie off the end and brush on Anchorseal .You don't want to run roof tar through a sawmill .Makes a mell of a hess .

shinnlinger

Dodgy,  Do you heat the wax when you mix it or just do it at room temp?  I used to mix melted wax with kerosene for a waterproofer and have used diesel as well.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!