iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old propane cylinder as a hyraulic res?

Started by mobile demensia, June 16, 2012, 11:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile demensia

Can anyone see a problem with using an old propane cylinder as a hydraulic reservoir. I am wondering if there is anything absorbed by the steel that may release into the oil causing problems?  Or do I just worry to much?

Just trying to build a 1 ton dump on the cheap
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

redprospector

As far as something bring absorbed......I think you worry too much.
What you should be worrying about is getting the necessary holes cut in the tank without blowing up. Just my opinion.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

mobile demensia

Thanks for your concern the tank has had the valve out quite some time so I am sure it is purged. I will proceed with caution on the whole cutting and welding portion.
Timberjack 230D
Mobile Dimension 127
Woodcraft 30-20a
2 Stihl 660's
and growing

Woodchuck53

My same thoughts. As you know the metal has some residual in the pores. Set it out in the pasture and put a 1/4" hemp rope wick in it to flash this off. Works every time. Stay safe and come back to visit us.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

shinnlinger

I like the flash off and if it is a if it is a small tank you can fill it with water before cutting it with a metal blade on a hole saw.  Big ones fill with diesel exhaust....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shelbycharger400

whatever you do,  DONT clean ANYTHING you weld with brake clean!
look up brake clean and phosgene gas   sometime       :-X

Jamie_C

Quote from: mobile demensia on June 16, 2012, 11:44:01 PM
Can anyone see a problem with using an old propane cylinder as a hydraulic reservoir. I am wondering if there is anything absorbed by the steel that may release into the oil causing problems?  Or do I just worry to much?

Just trying to build a 1 ton dump on the cheap

A purpose built tank with the right fluid capacity for your cylinder to work properly shouldn't be very hard to find and would likely be much easier to mount somewhere on the truck

Ford_man

Northern Hyd has tanks of any size and shape you would need. they are not expensive. They are complete with fill cap and all the port that you will need. May even cost you less than trying to blow yourself up. STAY SAFE. splitwood_smiley

Al_Smith

People have used both propane tanks and for that matter tanks from refridgerant .I personally have not .A word of caution if you do use a recycled tank of refridgerant and you smoke ,don't .All it takes for to make freon produce phosgene is the heat from a lit cigarette plus hydraulic fluid in mixure with freon in itself will produce phosgene . Be safe now .

allen

propane is heavier than air, so remove the valve and invert your tank and the propane will drain out the bottom,i have used a 100 pound cyl for a gas tank before,no problem

pineywoods

I'm with allen. Have used old tanks for several uses, just be sure they are empty before you go cutting on them. Have a neighbor who make BBQ grills out of them. I am fooling around with a woodgas generator made from 2 old propane tanks...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Mounting them may be clumsy, but since the old ones are not refillable without a valve change, we gotta use them for something.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodchuck53

My thoughts exactly. I have used the large ones the 150 gallon range as air compressor volumn tanks for years and made several tire bead setters out of the 5 gallon propane tanks. I plan on using a pair of 7 gallon for the mill hyd. additions because I can't recertify and fill them any more. And the price was right. Oh and the 5 gallon make good portable air tanks.
But like I have said before I recycled long before it became popular. What ever you do with them. They will kill you if you don't respect them. Stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Al_Smith

When they first passed the law that  changed the valve design ,they kind of made a big deal about it . Now if you go to one of those places you trade tanks for a pre filled tank they don't say a thing if you pawn off an old design .That or the girls at the gas station don't know any better .

Seems odd though they just mandated those valves for small tanks ,the larger like 100 gallon still use the old design .Those BTW can be purchased at places like TSC pretty reasonable .

mjeselskis

Anyone know what pressure the 20lb tanks are rated for? I'd want to know that before i used it with a compressor or on the pressure side of a hydraulic system.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

pineywoods

re old propane tanks.. Don't even think about using one for a hydraulic accumulator  ie on the high pressure side. No way would it hold 1000-2000 psi. would be ok for a hydraulic reservoir. Using one for an air tank is treadin on thin ice. No way to drain off accumulated water, so they rust out. propane pressure is usually under 100 psi
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Here is a LINK to some good propane information.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

Quote from: mobile demensia on June 17, 2012, 12:58:44 AM
Thanks for your concern the tank has had the valve out quite some time so I am sure it is purged. I will proceed with caution on the whole cutting and welding portion.
I wasn't trying to say it couldn't be done, or even that it shouldn't be done. Just be careful.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

redprospector

Quote from: pineywoods on June 19, 2012, 09:46:34 PM
re old propane tanks.. Don't even think about using one for a hydraulic accumulator  ie on the high pressure side. No way would it hold 1000-2000 psi. would be ok for a hydraulic reservoir. Using one for an air tank is treadin on thin ice. No way to drain off accumulated water, so they rust out. propane pressure is usually under 100 psi
I agree, I wouldn't use one as an accumulator. But you can add a pet cock, they make pretty good air tanks, I think they are rated upwards of 200 psi.

Andy

Woodchuck53

Speaking only for my self 100 psi has always been plenty for what I needed. Haven't seen any problems with water. (air tanks) The larger tank 150 gal has a plug on the bottom of it I removed and installed a valve to bleed off any water from the sand blast system I built. Works well for me.

DDDfarmer

I use the 30 lb tanks as air tanks, I keep some air-tool oil in the tanks and drain them off every few months.  researching before tho I found that propane tanks are rated 250 + psi.  Just wash it out with hot soapy water and allow to dry before you use it.  if you dont every hose and tool afterwords will smell like rotten eggs.  that really freaks people out when they smell that and see what the air hose is connected to  ;D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Magicman

You really do not need a drain plug.  Just turn it upside down and release the air.  Any moisture/water will be blown out.  I have used an old 5 gallon freon bottle for air for many years.

Al_Smith

A lot of people used the old freon jugs for air .

Thank You Sponsors!