iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I found a skull

Started by Jeff, June 15, 2012, 04:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Last week while looking for pudding stones, I found this skull just sitting on a rock pile in the woods. No other bones to be seen. At first I thought it might be a mink, but after looking on line I'm leaning towards skunk. Any guesses? It's about 6 centimeters long.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shelbycharger400

Kevin

A skunk is a good resemblance.

smell it

Jeff

The back of the skull doesn't seem to be elongated enough to be either a weasel or a mink from what I'm seeing. I think its definitely in the weasel family though, and I think that includes skunk.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

shelbycharger400

snap a pic of the back of the skull

Clam77

Pre-historic human ancestor??   (miniaturized of course..   ;) )    :D
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks like my early ancestors.  :D

That skull does have some wicked looking teeth.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

My 12 year old Grandson would love to play with that. Looks like a good find and it's all intact.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

slider

Chupacabra   didn't thing they were that far north
al glenn

Jeff

Here are a few more shots.

wheelinguy

The skull is cool, but excuse my ignorance what in the world is a pudding stone? ???

Jeff

Kevin

That could be the skull of a Canadian slab caster that perished from the heat down there.

Jeff

It's certainly about the right size. :D :D :D ;)

sandhills

Wouldn't a skunk have a little longer "snout"?

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Rat from a nuclear power site?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

RynSmith

I found this quote after googling 'skunk dentition' - "They have an unusual dentition compared to other carnivores, their upper jaw only has one molar per side, with two on each side of the lower jaw."  So that might help. 

That 'super' molar thingy in the lower jaw is definitely interesting.  ???

Kevin

Quote from: Jeff on June 16, 2012, 09:54:58 AM
It's certainly about the right size. :D :D :D ;)

You aren't still mad because I called your log(spindle) pile a burn pile are you?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

fat olde elf

How about a possum on steroids ? Seriously just google animal skulls for a lot of great stuff onlinne.  A couple of years ago I tossed 3 dead possums near the fence line with my neighbor.  He doesn't eat them either.  I looked for the bones after seeing this thread.  Nothing.... They do have some bad teeth...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Kevin on June 16, 2012, 09:11:30 PM

You aren't still mad because I called your log(spindle) pile a burn pile are you?

;D Lots of bugs in those logs?  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Put the skull on the auction block.  8)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bkellyvtme

A quote from a trappers board I am part of "Looks like a skunk. Easiest way to tell weasels from skunks is to see where the pallet ends. If it ends at the last molar, it's skunk. If it extends past the last molar, it is weasel."

I didn't include the pic of the pallet that you have so it looks like it ends at the last molar so a skunk I say.

Thank You Sponsors!