iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bird-Mizer

Started by Jeff, June 15, 2012, 10:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I guess I've used this sawmill for about everything. Today after being covered and parked for over a year, I walked out to get it started to make some stickers for the Tamarack lumber that Burlkraft Kevin and I sawed last week in da U.P. with Steve's mill. The lumber already has some white mold on it after just a few days of being dead stacked on the trailer waiting for my truck to be fixed to bring it home.

Anyhow, I walked out to the mill, knowing I'm probably at least going to have to charge the battery. I found that while I've not been using the mill, its still been used.

At least the baby robins have flown their orange coop. I feel a bit guilty about having a machine that just sits out there and hatches out birds rather than sawing out lumber. Maybe its time to think about letting it go. :-\
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Misfit

Those little feathered fellas build in some of the strangest places!

I finally had to close off the back of the 5th wheel hitch on my RV because every spring there would be a new nest in there. The strangest though was when a pair started building a nest underneath my motorcycle helmet that was on the seat of the bike. The bike was parked in the garage and had only sat idle for about a week.
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

One for the books! Good pics Jeff.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cypressstump

Don't think them little guys don't take advantage of a nice water proof covering in short order.!  I had covered my little mill with a tarp right as rain began one afternoon earlier in the spring, and two days later the House Wrens had already built a nest inside the blade housing ,ready for open house. I hated to remove it as those birds build a nest that's usually a work of art.

I had on my LaCrosse rubber boots that afternooon of the rain. I left them on the camps' porch after coming in the day I covered the mill. I had a need a few days later to wear my rubber boots. As I grabbed the boots up, much to my surprise, out from one of the boots flew another Wren !!! The nest in my left boot had 5 eggs . >:(   I thought I had been snake bit !
Needless to say, I did not wear those boots again until the young ones had flown the coop so to speak.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Weekend_Sawyer

I say keep it. it makes a great centerpice for the pigroast and as soon as you get rid of it you will want to use it.  In my honest opinion.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

Yup, if you got rid of it then Jake would not have anything to look at. 

Well, there would still be Dan Shade's machine in the background.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

It's still sitting exactly where that picture was taken. :D  I've had the battery on the charger all morning. Hard part was getting the head up so I could get the battery out to take it to where I had power to charge it. That is, if it will charge. Its making hydrogen bubbles in all cells, so I guess its charging.  I just want to take some ole balsam 2by4s and make some stickers with it. Before I cut any lumber with it, its going to need some adjustment. It cut very good last time we used it, but I noticed the 4 by 4's we cut were out of square.

Weekend_Sawyer

Oh well in that case I'll come pick it up.  ;D

Slabs

The Carolina Wrens got a real passion for Ole Red(myMF165)

I think there's a family in there now.  I'll just wait til they fledge and fly away.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

kelLOGg

I used to cover my mill with a tarp and would get wrens within a few days... hours sometimes, it seems.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Jeff

Went down to tractor supply and bought a new battery and it started up within seconds after putting it in. 8)

Magicman

:) on the startup.  Ya can't keep a good WM down.   smiley_thumbsup

You mentioned out of square 4X4's.  I would check the side supports for 90° first.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

I sold a 56 ford f 100 30 years ago .I did not have to, just did.Bad move on my part. I have regretted that ever since .If it is paid for just cover it up and sit on it one day you will come back to it .I know
al glenn

Jeff

I've never had to adjust anything on it before, so I don't know the procedure for lining the head with the backstops. I wish it was as easy as it is on Steve's LT28. Loosen one bolt, tighten another.  :) Somehow I think on an 86 lt30, its a bit more involved.

Weekend_Sawyer

I hear you Slider, I regret every motorcycle and truck I ever sold.
Jon

Kansas

Just about every pickup I ever "sold" I limped it in to the nearest used truck dealership with steam pouring out, oil pouring out, I get out and say, I think its time to trade, to the salesman. He always agrees with me.

We had a terrible time with birds at our other location. But it was in the electrical boxes. And up in the rafters. The cats couldn't keep up with them. But they tried. It got so serious they dive bombed customers. We had a couple of BB guns to help keep the numbers down.

thecfarm

I had a bird of some sort build a nest in the band saw cover in just 3 days. I was busy building and the garden and had not used it for 3 days and someone moved in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: Jeff on June 15, 2012, 11:40:37 PM
I've never had to adjust anything on it before, so I don't know the procedure for lining the head with the backstops. I wish it was as easy as it is on Steve's LT28. Loosen one bolt, tighten another.  :) Somehow I think on an 86 lt30, its a bit more involved.

Hey Jeff.   Maybe there will be someone at the pig-roast that knows something about doing an alignment!   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Jeff,your posta set a good example for the rest of us.If you sell the mill the withdrawal pains will be quick and severe.We owe you, and all of us should build you a decent millhouse.Thanks. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

During slow times build bird houses,it reduces the guilt serving eviction notices. Frank C.

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on June 15, 2012, 11:40:37 PM
I don't know the procedure for lining the head with the backstops.

I don't either, but I would love to get my hands on it.  Of course the bed rail/side support may be OK, and it could be blade/bed rail.  Some checking is in order to determine what needs what first.   :)

Slabs

Frank you just gotta understand that these southern wrens have a mind of their own and it goes contrary to human thinking.  I've built wren boxes for years and the little buggers will go to the car radiator or the tractor steering cylinder right past the boxes.  I love em' but they're just gonna be contrary.

Rumors are that Papa wren will start building a few "test" nests and Mama wren will choose her favorite and Mama seems to have a shine for machinery oil fragrance.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

pineywoods

The birds Jeff evicted must have gotten confused and flew south. Went to the mill this morning and found a wren nest way back under the motor mount where it's just about impossible to get at. Finally used a piece of broken bandsaw blade to clean it out...I'm usually pretty tolerant of wren nests, and yes I've had them build in my boots I left on the porch, but not in my mill where it can cause a fire....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Its good form to look over your shoulder before an eviction,the goodie goodies will turn you in, and make a big deal over it. Frank C.

Brucer

Never a problem with birds at my site. My mill's a Bee-Mizer :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!