iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I charge to plane and T&G

Started by levans, June 14, 2012, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levans

Does anyone in My area, Eastern TN do any further processing of lumber such as drying, planing and molding. I'm asking because I have a sawing job and the customer may want me to dry and plane the lumber and then run the boards through the shaper to make a v-grove paneling. I haven't done any sawing or other type of work for others for 5 or 6 years and am out of touch on pricing. Thanks for any help.

rambo

In my area the local mill charges 50 cents per board foot for planing. Don't know what the fee is for T&G.

jimparamedic

All you can get. I like chargng by the hour. I get $45 hr takes care of all the unforseen problens. I did one job the person wanted 4" T&G and he brought random width boards some were unedged and no two were the same thickness. All that said a one day job turned into three.Good thing I used an hourly rate

BBTom

I charge $1/sqft to turn dry lumber into t&g flooring.  Waste due to dropoffs, straight lining and tongues is normally about 25-30% on a 3",4" and 5" mixed width floor. 

I like to skip plane first, then straight line and rip to width with a final run trough a 6 head moulder to make the flooring.  The customer is charged by the square foot of final product.

I charge $350/thousand to kiln dry lumber that I have to stick after it comes in.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

levans

Is it .50 a foot per side? as in if they plane a 12 foot board you pay for 24 feet?

ATLGA

America First.

woodmills1

I charge hourly for every job on mill or machine

that way the narrow and the crooked never pays less than the straight and the wide
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!